Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 28-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
virdi
Sponge Jockey

I used Ceri Glass Polish ...but I still have wiper marks :(

Hi all,

Some help and guidance needed please.

I polished the front windscreen with Ceri Glass ...using a DA and a Glass Polishing pad

...but I still have wiper marks

So what can I do next please?

Could I use a foam pad and maybe Menzerna 1000 compound? Would that give more of a cut?

Thanks
virdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
AudiPhil
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Polishing glass is hard work!

I had heavy wiper marking on my recent car screen, I had 2 goes at removing the marks with Ceri-glass and Rayan pads, I probably spent 4 hours in total and although there is a signifiant improvement the marks are still visible when direct sun or car lights hit it. I'm hoping a small stone will flick up and cause an irrepairable chip!

Don't hold me to it but I doubt you'll find anything with a heavier cut than the ceri-glass and rayan pad combo. Did you following the Carpro instructions? Sorry I can't help you more, good luck and hopefully someone will add some helpful advice for us both.
AudiPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
SunnyBoi
PC Perfectionist

It takes time even with a Rayon Pad and rotary with Ceriglass to remove wiper marks. On a DA I'm guessing it will take much longer, do a test spot at a corner for much longer duration. If the compound seems to dry out, give it a spritz of water.

Foam pad and PG1000 will not even come close to cutting power of ceriglass and rayon pad, its even pointless to try it.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
virdi
Sponge Jockey

Thank you guys .... So I guess i just have to go at it again.!

....I assume it's safe to keep on doing more passes on glass ...as there is no clear coat to damage??
Old 28-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virdi View Post

....I assume it's safe to keep on doing more passes on glass ...as there is no clear coat to damage??
You could mix your own glass polish, Ceriglass is just a premixed Cerium oxide polish, you can buy cerium oxide powder and mix your own as I dont imagine Ceriglass is that aggressive in terms of glass polish as they have to account for every use and tone it down for the average consumer

You could add more cerium oxide powder to the Ceriglass you have
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
AudiPhil
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:

The life of the pad will probably be your determining factor, I managed to over heat the pads and the velcro disbonding from the pad. As the polish dries out remove a swipe of the residue and inspect your work. As Sunnyboi said you can sparingly spritz the dried polish and continue working it.Avoid getting the Ceri-glass on your paintwork and wash it off afterwards rater than wiping!! Good luck and let us know how you get on.
AudiPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
SunnyBoi
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Glass is way way way harder than paint and that's the reason why its so difficult to fix it. Multiple passes are okay, just make sure you don't put too much pressure on glass and crack it, let the machine do all the work.

Be consistent across the whole windshield, as in if you do x passes to remove scratches on a section, do the same number of passes on all sections.

there's no need to add more polish if it dries up, just a tiny spritz of water will do to rejuvenate it. Add more polish when doing another section.

Final point to note, keep your pad extremely clean. If any sand.grit falls into the pads, it will leave deep marks all over the windshield and you will end up chasing those again; you'd have to use a new pad for that too.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
virdi
Sponge Jockey

Thank you guys!

Will give it another shot
Old 29-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Marve
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
just make sure you don't put too much pressure on glass and crack it
Surely that is exactly what he does what to do? New windscreen = scratches problem solved!

I'd pay my windscreen excess ahead of trying to polish a windscreen any day of the week.
Marve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
BrummyPete
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I had wiper marks on my old cx5, I tried to get then out but couldn't, in the end I phoned for a replacement and told them that when the sun hit the screen it hindered my vision, 2 days and 70 quid later it was changed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote