Detailing World Forum banner

Whats the best 1st car to go for at the moment?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ffrs1444 
#1 ·
Hi all my daughters boyfriend has passed his driving test today and is unsure what car to look for his budget is £1000 tops as his insurance will be around £1500 +

Whats the best 1st car to go for at the moment?

Neil

#4 ·
As above, all the usual suspects will be dear to insure on the basis that every young/new driver gets one and therefore statistically will be involved in accidents involving young drivers.

Leftfield choices are the way to go....even something like an older Hyundai Coupè or a Volvo S40 would be cheaper to insure.
Once they've had 1 year or 2 years no claims, move on to something more popular

#10 ·
Does he simply want some wheels or is he looking for something to "learn" the art, joy, pain(!) and fun of owning a car.

Agree that going rather left field will probably give a better car. I'd rather go for a 10 year old car with a couple of owners and a folder full of receipts than a "pretty" 5 year old one with no solid history and 3 owners.

Insurance cost may well end up being be the deciding factor

Good luck with the search.

Andy.

#12 · (Edited)
A lot of the insurance premium will be based on any third party accident claim costs, the performance of the car, and the cost of replacement parts - Ford and GM should be cheaper for spare parts, Suzuki etc will be more costly. Having said that you might find a Fiat Panda to be a good price for insurance - low group, and with good visibility they aren't particularly high on the accident statistics either.

Unfortunately high insurance is one of those things we have to bear - my first solo premium was £633, at age 24 in 1993. It didn't really get any cheaper as i got older, purely because the cars got faster and more valuable :rolleyes:

#13 · (Edited)
Just a quick update:

The daughters boyfriend has finally got his first, he has gone for a Ford Fiesta 1.2 Style, 56 plate on 106,000 miles, bought from a old work mate, he payed £850 for it, its been serviced recently and had two new rear shock absorbers fitted,
It drives really well but it'll need a new rear silencer soon and maybe a couple of rear wheel bearings and 2 new rear tyres but this shouldn't cost him to much,

He had a black box fitted last thursday as part of his insurance £1700 a year (ouch), but after 12 months his insurance should go down if he is a good lad

Im going to help him clean it up and get it looking a bit smarter. :detailer:

Here are a few pictures, more to follow:

#15 ·
It all depends tbh

Cars in insurance group 1 are not necessarily the cheapest to insure. Companies know every 9 youngster out of 10 will get it as their first car and bump the prices up.

Also, worth checking prices of the same car in different engine choices and trim lines because it does make a difference.

My son was insured on a Golf 1.4 TSI match for less than an Aygo. The reason being it was an MK5 1.4 TSI which was a rare engine on that car and therefore they didnt have enough data to bump the prices up. Choose a 1.6tdi and it was a different story!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.