Detailing World Forum banner

The Pressure Washer Upgrade & DIY Setup Thread

278K views 425 replies 88 participants last post by  spyk3d 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there's been a lot of threads (and PMs!) about this topic - upgrading hoses, guns and lances on "normal" PWs, and extending home setups (hose reels, water butts and pumped water setups) etc. So I thought it was worth kicking off a thread where folks can post their own setups, ask questions about upgrades they're thinking about and get inspiration and ideas from what others are doing. I'll kick off by copying my post from this thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine is a bit of a mongrel of a setup:

Kranzle HD7/122

Kranzle M2000 standard gun, adapted to 19.5mm inlet quick release and Kew outlet quick release
MTM Hydro "Astra" wash gun adapted to same connections as above

Standard Kranzle flat jet, Dirtkiller and underbody lances adapted to Kew quick release
Pressure Washer Parts UK "cranked" lance 450mm with interchangeable nozzles
DIY "Shortie" lance with female QR straight into Kew probe so interchangeable nozzles can be attached straight onto the end of either gun

Foam lance adapted to Kew QR (again, for use on either gun)

15m hose on a reel with Mosmatic swivel at gun end
Original Kranzle 10m hose with 19.5mm QR fittings - can be used standalone if I take the machine elsewhere or as an extension to hose on reel if needed.

DIY mobile platform for PW to allow for easier movement (some large castors attached to a piece of plywood, essentially)

All sits on / hangs off a DIY bracket / hanger / system organiser in the garage.

Pics:

DIY bracket

DIY bracket, other side.

Both guns

Lances - top to bottom, underbody, flat jet, Dirtkiller, cranked, shortie Vario, shortie (interchangeable nozzles)

Foam lance adapted for Kew QR

Platform rear view - shock cord secures the machine on top

Platform side view - the grubby MF is by way of insulation to keep the warmth in from the trace heating cable wrapped around the pump head

QR for machine outlet. You can see the camlock inlet and the trace heating cable as well

Original Kranzle hose adapted for 19.5mm QR

My Mosmatic swivel :argie: on the end of the 15m hose on the reel

Adapted hose so I can connect a normal hose to the machine (normally it runs off a 25mm ID hose from the water butts, to a camlock connector on the inlet)

Edit - I've added some of the recent (and not so recent!) threads that made me think to start this one, which may also be useful:

Rob D 88's K4 Change Of Gun Thread
andyfish's PW upgrade thread (specifically regarding DIY options for a new PW build)
Whizzer's shortie lance thread
steelghost's running a PW off a waterbutt thread (with particular emphasis on parts and fittings needed to achieve sufficient flow rate)
bigbruiser's K4 lance upgrade thread

Any others you think would be useful to include here, PM me and I'll edit this post.

See less See more
#140 ·
Just after a quick bit of advice.

Are these the same hose? The reason I ask is because I'm putting in an order with Malcleanse for some 20mm QR fittings and dowty seals and was just thinking it will be easier to get it all from one place.

This is the MalCleanse Hose and Q Washers hose If I do get have to get the hose from Q washers then I'll ask them if they can put 3/8" M BSP fittings on both ends.

#148 · (Edited)
Deje you are right, im about to place and order for mosmatic gun and lance and those parts would connect the way i was thinking yesterday. though steelghosts post about making QR 11.6 instead of 1/4" kind of woke me up. wouldnt 11.6 be better, was easier to find all parts at least.
Maybe double check everything, would these parts im looking atm work?

gun 29.131

lance 28.521

gun inlet 3/8"m to M22m
and into this i could connect kärchers quickconnect

gun outlet QR

to connect lance these two
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271637606463
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352095104612

foam lance connect Im getting foam lance with kränzle adapter, which is M22male

and some 11.6mm Quick Release Wash Nozzles
Edit: mosmatic lance take 1/4" male nozzles? would this be ok https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281270355774?var=580317089053

#149 · (Edited)
11.6mm and 1/4, does not matter, they are the same, only listed in different measurement systems.

The lance you link to is not the "Matt Moreman" lance, and it has the G3 / 8 "F inlet and 1/4" NPTF outlet hope you have noted it.

The nozzle you list is no quick-release nozzle ,and it has BSP thread!

#151 · (Edited)
" Isnt 1/4" more like 6.3mm or have i missed something?"

It depends on where you measure, it's confusing, but trust me, it's the same.
The nozzle that you link has the right thread "NPT" but has 045 orifice, you need to find out which orifice you need.

"Wouldnt those connections i listed still work or is there better solution. 11.6 quick connector to M22 female and then M22 male to 3/8male."

I do not really understand, do you want m22 fitting on the lance,The trigger gun has 1/4 outlet , why?
And why do you want that lance, it has G 3/8 "F inlet?

#155 ·
So something interesting to think about when ordering a Mosmatic gun. I originally ordered the 29.131 from Mosmatic UK as it worked out about £5 cheaper than getting it from Europe. The 29.131 is a re branded Suttner item as we know but with an integrated Mosmatic Stainless Steel Swivel or so I thought. I've since received the below emails from Mosmatic UK (Jetwash Direct Ltd guessing they use the name under license)

sales@mosmatic.co.uk

Dear ....

Thank you for your recent gun order.

The Mosmatic 29.131 is currently out of stock but we have the same gun in a grey motive.

ST2635 Industrial 350 Bar / 35 L/min max flow
Stainless steel swivel inlet.
Very low tension trigger for reduced holding pressure

Shall we send this one as an alternative.

Regards
Richard

Richard Hoyle
Mosmatic UK
Tel +44 (0) 1484 30 66 93
Fax +44 (0) 870 490 1890
Email - sales@mosmatic.co.uk
Web - www.mosmatic.co.uk
I questioned this as I bought the gun for the mosmatic swivel but it seems that this is not the case.

sales@mosmatic.co.uk

Hi ....

Mosmatic don't actually manufacture guns. They are made in Germany by R+M

Integrated swivels on guns are not the same construction as individual swivels although they are still high quality which is why Mosmatic put their name on it for their own branded guns.
It is the same quality gun / swivel that you will be getting. ( minus the Mosmatic logo )

If you'd prefer to wait for the Mosmatic banded one it could be several weeks.

Let me know what you prefer.

Regards
Richard
What do you think?

I'm tempted to see if he will send me one of the Suttner 2300 range guns and then to get the swivel off ebay. I know I could just let him send me the alternative one but surely one of the reasons that you buy it from Mosmatic UK is for the high quality swivel.

Anyway rant over. Just thought it would be good for you all to know incase you were thinking of going the same route as me.

#158 ·
So something interesting to think about when ordering a Mosmatic gun. I originally ordered the 29.131 from Mosmatic UK as it worked out about £5 cheaper than getting it from Europe. The 29.131 is a re branded Suttner item as we know but with an integrated Mosmatic Stainless Steel Swivel or so I thought. I've since received the below emails from Mosmatic UK (Jetwash Direct Ltd guessing they use the name under license)

I questioned this as I bought the gun for the mosmatic swivel but it seems that this is not the case.

What do you think?

I'm tempted to see if he will send me one of the Suttner 2300 range guns and then to get the swivel off ebay. I know I could just let him send me the alternative one but surely one of the reasons that you buy it from Mosmatic UK is for the high quality swivel.

Anyway rant over. Just thought it would be good for you all to know incase you were thinking of going the same route as me.
The seller is just a seller, he wants to sell, now he does not have that gun in stock so he tries to sell you another gun.

Swivel in the Mosmatic gun is a DGVI swivel and has Part No. 32 904, but is not listed on the Mosmatic website.

#156 ·
I'm no expert but that reply seems to imply the internal swivel isn't any better on a mosmatic gun than a Suttner branded one. In which case why pay double for a mosmatic over something like this..

http://www.malcleanse.co.uk/310-bar-45-lpm-high-pressure-gun-easywash365-gunew365sv-p-2071.html

?

The external Mosmatic swivels do look very good, and users only report good news - but I'm sceptical about 'their' internal swivels (then again I'm sceptical about most things lol!)

#157 ·
Just thinking out loud and by means of addressing the issue of the swivel adding bulk to the inlet of the trigger: how about having 12" or so of (non-swivelling) hose made up so that the swivel becomes remote from the handle / integrated into the hose, as t'were?

#165 ·
Has anyone had their gun from Mosmatic UK yet?

Its the only thing I'm missing :wall:

I was told that to wait as per my previous posts as they were ordering them in from Germany but just want to know if anyone else is waiting for one?

I'll post pictures up once its all here and another showing it all assembled.

#170 ·
The mosmatic guns are brass internals with a stainless swivel as alluded to by Steelghost.

There is no benefit to stainless steel internals over the brass ones unless you are using the gun for food related cleaning as the chemicals used may react with the brass internals.

#171 · (Edited)
So today was finally the day.....kind of....

Came home from work to find out that my mosmatic gun had been delivered. Like a kid at Christmas I unwrapped it and went and gathered all the other bits that I had ordered.

Here is everything I bought:

From Mosmatic.co.uk:
Mosmatic Gun (29.131) with built in stainless swivel

From Malcleanse:
Stainless Steel 3/8" BSP 20mm Female Quick Release for hose
Stainless Steel M22 to Female 20mm Stainless Quick Release for Pressure Washer
2 x Stainless Steel Female 20mm Quick Release probes
Stainless Steel 3/8" Male x 3/8" Male BSP Hex Nipple
Stainless Steel 1/4" Male x 1/4" Male BSP Hex Nipple
4 x 3/8" BSP S/S Bonded Washers - Dowty Type Seals
2 x 1/4" BSP S/S Bonded Washers - Dowty Type Seals
15m DN08 Black 2 wire High Pressure Hose with 3/8" Male BSP Ends

From Q Washers on Ebay:
11.5mm Mini Quick Release Coupling for 1/4" BSP Thread - Had to have a black collar otherwise my OCD would have played havoc.:lol:

From pressurewasherpartsuk on Ebay:
11.6mm Quick Release Wash Nozzles - 025 Nozzle size

So here is everything laid out ready to assemble. You'll also notice that the two male nipples already have the dowty seals on them, this was me starting before I started to take photos. :wall:

and assembled...

M22 to 20mm Stainless Steel Quick Release fitted to my Nilfisk C110

So thoughts... The mosmatic gun has a nice weight to it, you can tell that it has some decent quality internals. However the swivel on my gun is not stamped with Mosmatic on it making me wonder if it is their swivel?? The image on their website shows the swivel stamped with Mosmatic on it.

It was all really easy to assemble and I used PTFE tape on the pressure washer and my snow foam lance to make sure it will be water tight.

The DN08 hose has some weight to it and I can see it out lasting the pressure washer which is the plan. :thumb:

Now the hard part... I'm away until Sunday night so won't get to test it out until next weekend. :censored:

#173 ·
Looks great, just make sure you've nipped the joints up as well as using PTFE tape (I may be teaching you to suck eggs in saying that so apologies if so!)

Interesting you're going with the pure shortie approach, either you have a very low car or you're pretty tall :lol:

#178 ·
The 3/8" is a standard BSP measurement for fittings. Most guns have a 3/8" inlet (where the hose connects) and a 1/4" outlet (where you connect the lance). I think the standard QR fitting for the 1/4" thread is the 11.6mm. You could also use a 14.8mm fitting instead.

For the 3/8" thread the advice I was given earlier in this thread was to go for bigger fittings so it can handle anything that you throw at it. You can go for 14.8mm fittings but I think the 20mm give you more piece of mind as they are bigger but also seem more unto the task.

I've not seen any fittings that would convert a standard nilfisk fitting to a 3/8" BSP. The only thing you could do is talk to someone like Damian at Washers and ask him if he could create you a hose length with a 3/8" thread one end and a nilfisk end the other.

Personally I would recommend doing what I have done in replacing the hose and the gun as the hose is better quality and won't kink its also 15m compared to the 5m that came with my machine, also when my machine dies I just unscrew the M22 QR fitting on the machine and if the replacement uses M22 move it over and carry on with the gun and hose etc.

I think there is no easy way to do what your intending without at least changing the hose.

#180 ·
I know this thread is a little old now and I hate to open them back up but I'm after a new gun etc for my Nilfisk P150. I've read through this thread twice now and still not 100% sure what I need as I do want to whole quick release setup. Gun wise, I'm looking at the Mosmatic Gun 29.131 as suggested above. Where is the best place to find everything else I need? The posts above are great but I'm unsure of sizings etc. Can anyone help?

#183 · (Edited)
The tricky thing here is how do you join the existing hose (which has a Nilfisk specific QR fitting) onto a new gun? The gun will have a 3/8" BSP female thread inlet (as do the vast majority of guns for sale) so you'd need to find a way to adapt from the male Nilfisk QR to the female 3/8" thread.

The equivalent part exists for Karcher machines but I have never found one for sale for Nilfisk.

The upshot of this issue is that you either need to find an adaptor that's pretty rare, shading into non-existent, or possibly take your existing Nilfisk hose and get the end chopped off and re-terminated with a more generic fitting. This would allow you to use an aftermarket gun but would prevent use of any Nilfisk specific items, including your existing gun (unless you can find a male Nilfisk QR adapter, and I've never seen one of those for sale either!)

Or you could replace your existing Nilfisk hose, but you'd still need to have it custom made with a Nilfisk fitting at the machine end. EDIT This would be a very expensive way of duplicating your existing hose and functionally equivalent to just getting the stock hose re-terminated, so on further reflection this is a silly idea, don't do this :lol:

Unless you have a burning hatred for the stock Nilfisk trigger, I'd look at what nozzles you want as lances and nozzles adapted to the Nilfisk lance QR standard are readily available. Ultimately, it's the nozzle that controls how the flow and pressure provided by the pump are actually deployed.

EDIT: Some Nilfisk machines have a simple threaded outlet at the machine end, they also usually have a thermoplastic hose (the type that likes to coil itself up all the time) so for those machines, the best way to proceed is to upgrade the hose and gun in one go. However as I understand it, this option is not available on the P150 as the outlet is not threaded (happy to be corrected on this point!)

#181 ·
I’m looking into this myself at the moment, and have also read this thread a few times.

I think I have everything selected from PW outlet to gun, but haven’t chosen lance or nozzles yet. I’ve been perusing a combination of Mosmatic, malcleanse.co.uk and Qwashers on Ebay.

Also think Pressurewasherpartsuk on Ebay, and Cleantec might be worth a visit. Seen all of these mentioned more than a few times on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#182 ·
Theres a number of options available to you.

You can source all the parts yourself and assemble them with PTFE tape and blue threadlock.

I stuck to only a few vendors to save on postage costs and also I was happy to assemble the parts myself.

You could also contact someone like Damian at Q Washers and buy a ready built package to suit your machine. It wont be a Mosmatic Gun but it will be near enough the same gun just with a different swivel.

With regards to the nozzles you will need to find out the flow rate of your machine and pressure (bar rating) and then use the Nozzle Chart to find out the exact nozzle size you will need for your machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.