Detailing World Forum banner

The Pressure Washer Upgrade & DIY Setup Thread

278K views 425 replies 88 participants last post by  spyk3d 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there's been a lot of threads (and PMs!) about this topic - upgrading hoses, guns and lances on "normal" PWs, and extending home setups (hose reels, water butts and pumped water setups) etc. So I thought it was worth kicking off a thread where folks can post their own setups, ask questions about upgrades they're thinking about and get inspiration and ideas from what others are doing. I'll kick off by copying my post from this thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine is a bit of a mongrel of a setup:

Kranzle HD7/122

Kranzle M2000 standard gun, adapted to 19.5mm inlet quick release and Kew outlet quick release
MTM Hydro "Astra" wash gun adapted to same connections as above

Standard Kranzle flat jet, Dirtkiller and underbody lances adapted to Kew quick release
Pressure Washer Parts UK "cranked" lance 450mm with interchangeable nozzles
DIY "Shortie" lance with female QR straight into Kew probe so interchangeable nozzles can be attached straight onto the end of either gun

Foam lance adapted to Kew QR (again, for use on either gun)

15m hose on a reel with Mosmatic swivel at gun end
Original Kranzle 10m hose with 19.5mm QR fittings - can be used standalone if I take the machine elsewhere or as an extension to hose on reel if needed.

DIY mobile platform for PW to allow for easier movement (some large castors attached to a piece of plywood, essentially)

All sits on / hangs off a DIY bracket / hanger / system organiser in the garage.

Pics:

DIY bracket

DIY bracket, other side.

Both guns

Lances - top to bottom, underbody, flat jet, Dirtkiller, cranked, shortie Vario, shortie (interchangeable nozzles)

Foam lance adapted for Kew QR

Platform rear view - shock cord secures the machine on top

Platform side view - the grubby MF is by way of insulation to keep the warmth in from the trace heating cable wrapped around the pump head

QR for machine outlet. You can see the camlock inlet and the trace heating cable as well

Original Kranzle hose adapted for 19.5mm QR

My Mosmatic swivel :argie: on the end of the 15m hose on the reel

Adapted hose so I can connect a normal hose to the machine (normally it runs off a 25mm ID hose from the water butts, to a camlock connector on the inlet)

Edit - I've added some of the recent (and not so recent!) threads that made me think to start this one, which may also be useful:

Rob D 88's K4 Change Of Gun Thread
andyfish's PW upgrade thread (specifically regarding DIY options for a new PW build)
Whizzer's shortie lance thread
steelghost's running a PW off a waterbutt thread (with particular emphasis on parts and fittings needed to achieve sufficient flow rate)
bigbruiser's K4 lance upgrade thread

Any others you think would be useful to include here, PM me and I'll edit this post.

See less See more
#2 ·
Brilliant Idea :thumb: I've been lurking on the upgrade lance(s) threads and was looking into upgrading my current PW later in the year.

Maybe we can have a thread spefically for DIY builds? One with all the generic parts listed in the first post. I have seen you recommend many pumps, lances, etc.

#3 ·
Maybe we can have a thread spefically for DIY builds? One with all the generic parts listed in the first post. I have seen you recommend many pumps, lances, etc.
I was thinking that would be this thread to be honest - it seems to make sense to put it all together in the same place? I guess we'll see if / when folks actually post in here :)

#6 ·
So glad this thread has started!! :thumb:
Still dilly dallying over whether to upgrade hose, lance and gun of a lower end PW (eg. Nilfisk C110) or simply wait, save and go for a high end Nilfisk or even a Kranzle.
Is it bad I'm wishing my little Karcher K2 to die? :)
Can't wait to see what set up's some of you PW black belts have got!!!

#7 ·
I think if your current PW is at the C110 / K2 level and you're looking for more "oomph", you need to upgrade to a more powerful machine before it's really worth looking at lance upgrades etc. You can of course upgrade the hose and gun on a K2, but if you're contemplating upgrading to a machine with a nice steel and rubber hose, the question becomes whether it's worth it. Saving for say, a Nilfisk P150, so you've got the money there to jump on one of the offers that comes up periodically might be a better bet than spending on a new hose and lance, which is realistically likely to set you back at least £50 and probably closer to £80.

#8 ·
Thanks SG - I know you're definitely one of the Black belts on here! :thumb:
Yeah, that's the conundrum I was having. Better machine - or upgrade a lower end one.
After trawling all the threads on here - learned that flow was more important than pressure - so in my head - a C110 has 85 bar working pressure and 440 l/h flow - which when I did research was similar to other machines costing much more. So is the extra cost in the quality of the pump and hose etc??
So sorry to be hijacking this thread a bit!!
Cheers
Phil

#18 ·
I don't know if this is the right place for this but if not let me know as I think it may be more suitable to just make It a separate thread.

My current set up is messy and time consuming to set up and put away, here is the only photo I have to give an example of what its like. Please ignore mad looking dog who thinks its carry on time when the car is getting washed :lol:

This is the space I would like to have my PW permanently hooked up, I would like to have it tucked under the tumble dryer out the way. Then have a hose reel mounted on the wall where the hose is hanging just now or even have the hose reel mounted inside the cupboard. This space is attached to the house and its where I keep my cleaning supplies like buckets, wheel cleaner, shampoo, APC, basically all things used during wash stage. So I know that in temperatures as low as -10 everything in there including just plain water won't freeze.

Distance from the wash space, I usually wash my car just outside the carport, the carport is a great shelter from sun and rain when its extreme but for the most part I will wash the car just outside as it can be a little tight for space when washing in there.

Usual wash spot

Car Port Area

I know the garage seems like the best spot to set up the PW + Hose reel but there is no water supply in there plus no insulation or heating so everything in there will freeze up when it gets cold

I would need a 20 meter hose to wash in the usual spot or a 30 meter for it to reach the carport

looking at something like this for the hose reel https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...983018?hash=item4d3ba26fea:g:7ZsAAOSwFGNWTviD

Whats everyones thoughts on this ? Its about the best / most practical solutions I can come up with seeing as I don't have a heated garage but I need todo something as the whole set up and putting away of the PW is a pain and makes cleaning the car a bit of a chore at times :doublesho

#20 ·
I don't know if this is the right place for this but if not let me know as I think it may be more suitable to just make It a separate thread.
This is exactly the sort of question I had in mind to discuss in this thread :thumb:

I have an MTM Hydro reel very similar (they do different sizes), and it's a very solid bit of gear.

Got it from these folks in Poland. Same MTM Hydro product. I got 15m of hose with it but it's DN08 (twin wire) hose and to be honest it's thicker and heavier than it strictly needs to be. I'm OK with it because it's very durable and 15m is plenty (plus I can add the Kranzle hose to make 25m if I really need to). If you're getting 30m, I'd definitely go with a thinner (but still plenty tough) single wire hose which is still rated to 200 bar!

For instance they have this one (M22 ends so readily adapted to anything you like) for just under £60 delivered for 30m.

You also need the relevant banjo fittings (or a reel with them already fitted) and a "link hose" that goes from the PW outlet to the back of the reel.

It's not cheap - but it makes an enormous difference to the ease and speed of getting the PW set up (and put away again).

#21 · (Edited)
If your PW will fit side ways under the tumble drier then a high pressure link hose (perhaps needing a 90’ elbow at the PW outlet) to a externally mounted HP hose reel would be a relatively tidy option. At least the PW could be static then. If you are using over 15m of hose you will probably need the 2 wire larger diameter hose to reduce pressure drop to the gun. A gun with quick release connection would allow the HP hose to be reeled in after use easily

#22 · (Edited)
This is an interesting resource to size the pressure loss you might experience.

It's all in US units, but 2 US gallons per minute is about 7 litres a minute; 1/4" hose is roughly 6mm ID (ie DN06), and 5/16" hose is approx 8mm ID (DN08). Pressure loss reduces at lower flow rates.

20 psi is 1.37 bar, so for a 30m (~=100ft hose) you're talking a 12 bar loss in pressure for DN06 hose, vs a 4 bar loss for DN08 hose (at 7.6lpm)

#23 ·
Glad you got round to setting this thread up SG!

Here is my lance new set up for my Karcher K5

Purchased from Damian at Qwashers

My next purchase will be a new hose as I'm fed up with the standard green hose and reel toppling over the PW and coiling up constantly.

SG will a new hose from Qwashers not coil up so much like the standard karcher item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
SG will a new hose from Qwashers not coil up so much like the standard karcher item?
My experience of rubber and steel wire hoses (ie "proper" hoses ;)) is that they basically want to be straight, the only exception is if you apply a twist to them - then they will coil up because of the steel wire in them. This is particularly true for dual-wire hoses - less so for single wire types.

You mention a reel - I've seen that some of the Nilfisk machines can be problematic to replace or upgrade hoses, it's worth checking before you order anything how it would replace the existing hose (you might already have checked this but thought worth mentioning in case).

#30 · (Edited)
Anyone looking for a new gun ( and fittings etc) should have a look at

www.malcleanse.co.uk

Ordered this gun today, together with a 3/8" male to 19.5mm QR male (plus some dowty washers and other odds n sods)..

Colour might not be to most peoples tastes but with built in stainless steel swivel, low force trigger and a spec of 310Bar max and 45l/min max , and 150'C capability it can cope with pretty much most machines output. Its from Suttner's 'professional' (eg petrol station car jet wash use) so is going to be robust and reliable - better spec than the ST-2600 in their more usual 'detailer' range.

#32 ·
Here's how it works on my karcher

There is a joining hose between the internal motor and the hose reel.

Then a separate hose for the reel.

I think your right,the joining piece you've linked will connect into the reel and then onto a standard hose fitment.

Or I could just buy the hose with the karcher connector attached and when I go to renew my pw I can buy an attachment to suit whichever pw I buy?

#33 ·
I'd be reluctant to buy any expensive upgrade with any sort of manufacturer specific terminations permanently attached, if you're considering upgrading or changing machine at some point in the future. If you do, you're then relying on being able to find the counterpart of that termination to be able to adapt it to whatever fitting the new machine has. Even if you can buy such an adapter, it is unlikely to be cheap, or small!

#41 ·
Hi guys,

Got myself a Karcher K4 full control pressure washer not long ago. The high pressure hose connects on the back of the unit into an elbow and is held in place by a retaining clip/clamp.

Is there any options to add in a quick connector onto that part as the clamp is a bit fiddly and would like to be able to remove the hose often to drain.

#43 ·
Hi guys,

Got myself a Karcher K4 full control pressure washer not long ago. The high pressure hose connects on the back of the unit into an elbow and is held in place by a retaining clip/clamp.

Is there any options to add in a quick connector onto that part as the clamp is a bit fiddly and would like to be able to remove the hose often to drain.
Can you post a few pics?

#55 · (Edited)
Replacement hoses are most typically sold with 3/8" BSP female connectors - you can specify them from some vendors with 3/8" BPS male or other connections such as M22 size.

So if you were to buy a stock hose with 3/8" female ends you'd need either a Karcher plug with a 3/8" male screw on the ends to connect to the hose (or another termination on the Karcher plud and a brdidging adaptor to link the two components).

eg if a Karcher plug had a M22 female connection you'd then need a 3/8" male BSP nipple (for the hose) to M22 male nipple connector (for the plug). where you could then bridge the gap between the hose end and the Karcher plug.

Fortunataly some vendors sell hose with the Karcher plugs already attached, either both ends..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250bar-J...900446&hash=item3f8e44c763:g:ZlsAAOSwTmtaJqIp

or just one end, which then allows other trigger guns/accessories other than Karcher to be used..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200bar-J...d=271472968309&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Those links purely for illustration of connector options

There are a whole host of options if you want to move away from Karcher components exit the PW outlet, the trick is to find the configuration that results in least metal parts, otherwise before you know it you have 4" or more of solid metal adaptors and connectors sticking out of the PW before the hose starts.

Looking at sellers like pressurewasherpartsuk on eBay can be confusing but it also allows you to see that the user components like hoses, trigger guns, quick releases do come in various options.

#58 ·
No - the pressures are so much higher it just wouldn't work. Bear in mind, an airline is in the realm of 6, maybe 10 bar. Even a low end pressure washer is 80 bar, and these sorts of fittings can be used in systems pushing 200 bar or more.

When the system is under pressure the QRs are probably not impossible to disengage, but they're much stiffer than normal. That said, if you're upstream of the trigger (ie anything attached to a gun outlet) the high pressure state only applies when you have the trigger pressed, so you can readily change nozzles or lances without depressurising your hose, but changing guns won't work.

#60 ·
Damian has given me 2 options see below

1 X 10 METER HOSE 1/4 1 WIRE BLACK WITH CUFFS 3/8 MALE X 3/8 FEMALE £32.45
1 X KARCHER BRASS MALE PROBE X 3/8 MALE £7.80
1 X POSTAGE £9.00
TOTAL £49.25

1 X 10 METER HOSE 1/4 1 WIRE BLACK WITH CUFFS 3/8 MALE X KARCHER MALE BRASS PROBE WITH SWIVEL £52.30
1 X POSTAGE £9.00
TOTAL £61.30

#61 ·
Damian has given me 2 options see below

1 X 10 METER HOSE 1/4 1 WIRE BLACK WITH CUFFS 3/8 MALE X 3/8 FEMALE £32.45
1 X KARCHER BRASS MALE PROBE X 3/8 MALE £7.80
1 X POSTAGE £9.00
TOTAL £49.25

1 X 10 METER HOSE 1/4 1 WIRE BLACK WITH CUFFS 3/8 MALE X KARCHER MALE BRASS PROBE WITH SWIVEL £52.30
1 X POSTAGE £9.00
TOTAL £61.30

I'd go with option #1, but get Damian to make you up a 15m hose instead of 10m. If you're buying this as a long term preposition, IMO worth having the extra reach in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.