Detailing World Forum banner

iPad 2 from the states

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Feeex 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if these are unlocked ? I know the UK ones are locked to 4 carriers but not sure if its possible to use the 3g feature of a US model in the UK

#8 ·
Where you buy your iPad 2 from tends to determine it's cellular status. Mine (UK independent supplier) is totally unlocked, I can use it with any service simply by changing the sim card. Those bought from service providers are clearly different.

Not sure about iPad 2 units from US suppliers, but I'd guess if it's independent of a cellular provider, it ought to be sim-free.

I've used mine with sim cards from 3, Orange and Vodafone without any problems whatsoever.

#12 ·
No reason to not buy from the US - worldwide warranty too so thats fine.

Just make sure you get the GSM version as its the only one that will work over here.
Just make sure you declare it to Customs on your return to the UK and pay the duty/VAT on it.

Oh ... ... ... what was that ... ... ... you don't intend to, you're going to smuggle it though ... ... ... remember you could render yourself liable to prosecution and lose the iPad :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Quick question on this subject;

We want to bring my cousins iPads when we head home for Christmas. We'll b buying them in Singapore. If we pay duty over here are we still liable for duty in the UK despite them being gifts?

Any experts on this subject here?

#18 ·
Not an expert regarding the tax, but technically if you are exceeding the HMRC limits, then yes, you are liable for tax. That said, if you are returning back to Singapore, you could always argue that you bought them for you personally and are taking them back with you to Singapore ;)

BTW, I would recommend buying them from Istudio in Changi Terminal 3, that way you can buy it without the tax. They allow you to reserve and collect too. I bought my Ipad from there as I travel a fair amount with work around SE Asia maining in and out of Singapore :thumb:

#23 ·
I'm a tad out of date, i.e. my service ended prior to the C&E/Inland Revenue merger, but I doubt things have changed much.

Firstly it would depend on the type of goods and the amount of duty/VAT evaded.

Assuming that we are dealing with a personal use items and not an obvious commercial importation - the two are dealt with differently - firstly the goods would be seized as forfeit to the Crown.

Following seizure, the goods may be restored to the importer upon payment of a restoration fee, normally based upon the amount of duty/tax evaded - there would also be a financial penalty imposed of up to three times the duty/VAT evaded, however this was seldom applied - once or twice being the norm.

Such a compromise penalty may be offered by Customs, but is not obligatory - they may opt to take the matter to court as may you - it is not mandatory that you accept a compromise/compounded award offered by Customs, but as it avoids you getting a criminal record I would strongly advise it. If you have been previously caught by Customs, expect a higher penalty on subsequent occasions.

My advice - it ain't worth it. There are some great deals to be had in the UK. Goods bought abroad - especially in the US - often don't have Worldwide warranties and often aren't of the same spec despite what the blurb says. Consumer law in the US and elsewhere ain't what it is here.

N.B. I haven't mentioned cigarettes/alcohol here - these are often dealt with differently, plus the allowances are more than generous. You take the risks and get caught - no sympathy whatsoever.

#24 ·
@ DW58, thanks for the above view, clearly 'being on the front line' you are very well informed.

I'm interested to know, (as considering buying something on my next trip), if you buy something from eg Dixons UK duty free, such as a computer for say £1,000 (this amount usually equates to the high st price less the VAT)and request to collect on return, ie after customs clearance, are you still liable for the fees, be they import duty or VAT, as its above £390 and does the case differ depending on whether its an EU or worldwide trip?

TIA

#25 ·
Having never worked at one of the major airports in England, I never came across the "Buy now and collect on return" system offered by the various tax free outlets at Heathrow/Gatwick/Manchester etc., but AFAIK they are tax free and thus the goods are intended for export outside the EU, thus technically duty/VAT is due if they are retained inside the EU (above and beyond your personal allowances). Bear in mind however that personal allowances can be aggregated, i.e. say you and your husband/wife/partner return to the UK from outside the EU, your £390 per person other good allowances can be added together thus giving you £780 tax free buying power of tax free non excise duty goods (i.e. not booze/tobacco etc.) so you would only be liable to duty/VAT on any cost above and beyond your personal allowances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.