Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : – 303 | 3M | Auto Finesse | Bilt Hamber | Blackfire | Black Mamba | Bouncer's | Britemax | California Scents | CarPro | Chemical Guys | Collinite | Crakalicious | Dakota Products | Dodo Juice | G3 Pro | Gtechniq | Koch Chemie | Lake Country | Meguiars | Menzerna | Muc-Off | Nanolex | OPT | Pinnacle | Poorboys World | Rupes | Sam's Detailing | Scholl Concepts | Soft99 | Sonax | Sonus | Stoner | Valet Pro | Victoria Wax | Wolfgang | Zaino | e-Gift Certificates | Trade Accounts | www.DetailedClean.co.uk

Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
RichB
Unwashed Member

DA Vibration

Hello all,

I have bought the In2Detailing DAS6 Pro 900w. It seems perfectly balanced with the 5” backing plate, but when I put the 3” on it seems wobbly, I assume this is down to the counter weight.

Any ideas what I have to do to make it stable, swap the counter weight? Remove it? Change its position?

Can’t see anything in the manual.

Thanks.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
Scotie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
i use a 3.5" backing plate, and it seems fine to me. Slightly more vibration as expected but not wobbly
Scotie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Andy from Sandy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Welcome to the world of DA.

You would have to swap the counter weight, to what though I don't know.

Do companies even accommodate different back plate sizes with matching weights?
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Itstony
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
Welcome to the world of DA.

You would have to swap the counter weight, to what though I don't know.

Do companies even accommodate different back plate sizes with matching weights?
Think it's agreed by most it is better to have a specific size tool, meaning having at least more than one, if you can afford to. A 115mm and a 75mm a minimum and already life is better.
Adding more is a nice luxury, but not wasted dough at all
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
RichB
Unwashed Member

It came supplied with the 3” and 5” so you would hope it’s Designed to work properly with both. Does anybody on DW have the Das6 Pro from in2detailing and has swapped or altered the counter weight? Thanks.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,763 Times in 4,997 Posts
Garage
No need to change the weight. It vibrates more because you are getting more rotations due to less resistance. and its wobbling because you arent used to controlling it yet. The imbalance you have just appears worse now as there is less surface area to lean on.
Drop the speed a touch, concentrate on your back hand and the control aspect of your use. You will be fine
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
Scotie (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
Steampunk
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,899 Times in 889 Posts
Garage
DA's designed for 5-6" BP's are inherently wobbly and do suffer higher vibration when used with 3" BP's... For extremely minimal usage, this is acceptable. However, for prolonged usage, it is a real concern (As it effects both your health, potentially inducing HAVS or aggravating Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and also making it harder to control the machine and achieve a good finish.).

DA vibration comes from three main factors:

(1) - Balance [Coming from balancing out the pad and backing plate with the counterweight.]

(2) - Friction [The friction between the polish, the pad, and the paint can cause the machine to glide less smoothly against the surface, and recoil into you.]

(3) - Off-Axial Recoil [If the machine is held not perfectly perpendicular to the paint, the pad can 'push off' of the paint, and send a force-spike through the machine and to your hands/wrists. This is even more apparent with standard-long throw DA's than short ones, as the spike cannot be absorbed by the foam. You become the path of least resistance.]

Three things can be done, in order of greatest effect, to minimize this detrimental influence:

(1) - Practicing machine control, to hold the pad perfectly perpendicular to the paint... Loosen up, close your eyes, feel the influence of the machine, and let your hands find the equilibrium where no kickback can be felt... Over contoured panels, this takes some practice.

(2) - Minimize the frictional coefficient of your pad/product combo on the paint in question. Some 3.25-4" spot pads, and polish combos will suffer more friction than others... I have found Scholl's spot pads to be the best in the industry for BP-swapped 8mm DA's, but these still have more vibration than their larger fellows.

(3) - Balancing the BP/Pad combo... Swapping out the counterweight can help (Think about it... You have an eccentric mass being swung about; you have to counterweight it equally, and both the pad and polish add weight to it, as well as the BP. If these aren't in balance, you can get vibration.)... However, this sort of vibration is high-frequency, low-length. If you're suffering lower frequency, high-length vibration, it is more likely to be kickback-related, and the former two factors are the major culprits.

-

This said, the best solutions is to use a machine designed to be used with the pads in question... This will result in the least vibration. If you need a smaller contact patch, buy a DA designed for it... A 3" BP DA with a 12mm throw, has approximately a 4.5" contact patch when used with the pads it's designed for. A 2" BP DA with a 12mm throw, has approximately a 3.25" contact patch. The only way to get a 1:1 contact patch which matches the pad in question, is to use a rotary, which is viable providing you have also learned the skill of keeping the pad perfectly level.

Hope this helps...

- Steampunk
Steampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
CleanYourCar
Approved DW Trader

Thanked 1,617 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotie View Post
i use a 3.5" backing plate, and it seems fine to me. Slightly more vibration as expected but not wobbly
^^This. The heavier the plate so the weight is closer to the one supplied will knock the vibration down quite a bit also.

Victoria Wax - Dodo - Meguiars - Menzerna + Many More!
CleanYourCar is offline   Reply With Quote