Detailing World Forum banner

Sonax Birlliant Shine Detailer - breakthrough on QD market ?

679K views 2K replies 362 participants last post by  Saint_David 
#1 ·
I would like to share with You my tests of Sonax Biriliant Shine QD :) In my opinion ,it's one of my biggest discoveries since I begun my adventure with detailing.

So, let's see :)

Packaging first :

Instruction in German,but it's QD so I think I can manage :) ;)

This QD is quite thick compared to other offerings on market, it reminds me a bit of Swissvax Nano Express. It has really pleasant , coconut scent.

In terms of application,it's very easy, just like other QD's on market. Spray, spread, turn MF on other side, wipe, job done.

Effects ?

It deffinietly adds something to look of car,again it's on par with other positions on market. However, I found it to lack this slippery feel. Not that it is important, but I have to admit that other QD's are much better in this terms.

This is how my car looked after application :

So far, it looks like just another QD on crowded market...but now watch this :)

Let's see on water behaviour after washing. There is Dodo Juice wax on car. It holding up, but certailnly beading is far from good.

Also wheels, almost zero protection :

Two videos showing water behaviour :

Car was then dried, and Sonax QD was applied...

Nice

Rember wheels, which showed before zero beading ?

Wiper arms :

My Plastidip'ed badge :

And this is plastic trim :

Rear wing was left without any top up:

which is clearly visible :)

Just like this piece of bonnet :

And another videos, showing water behaviour after Sonax QD :

More updates to follow, including comparisions with leading products on market :) ;)

See less See more
5 47
#1,816 ·
I have been using BSD for a while now after getting it on the cheap from Euro car parts, when applied to bare paint on my car I have found it has lasted nearly 2 months and 8 washes

I'm using carchem shampoo and autobrite magifoam during my washing so these supposedly should not be stripping LSP but even so I am amazed by the beading, sheeting and longevity of this product, as for the grabby quality of BSD I find that mixing it about 70:30 with Finishkare #425 makes it slick and easy to work with as well as giving it a much darker gloss on my red paint

#1,818 ·
This grabby feeling people experience, do you mean grabby when buffing or grabby when you run your hand over the panel?

And why does it make such a difference? The aim is to have a good QD or spray sealant which lasts and beads immensely.

If you want a smooth feeling panel, maybe its time to clay bar the car and leave it at that?

#1,820 ·
This grabby feeling people experience, do you mean grabby when buffing or grabby when you run your hand over the panel?

And why does it make such a difference? The aim is to have a good QD or spray sealant which lasts and beads immensely.

If you want a smooth feeling panel, maybe its time to clay bar the car and leave it at that?
Think peeps mean grabby on removal when buffing. Given lots of QDs/spray sealants are effortless on buffing e.g. Infinity Wax Rapid Detailer then it may make a difference to some.

#1,825 ·
Would you guys say this is the best QD on the market?

Even better than Clearkote Quikshine?:thumb:
Best is relative
There is no best as everyone wants something different
I wouldn't even call it a Detailer; it's more of a spray sealant.
QDs are much thinner, easier to buff off, and give a better finish than BSD

I don't use BSD on my car for example, as I wash it twice a week, and use a different QD every week. Yes I have Quikshine, but I like FK, Adams, Speed Wipe, Zaino just as much.

Wife's/daughter's car: BSD once every two months, and just an ONR wash once a fortnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#1,855 ·
FA can be used as spray an rinse type product and on wheel can just be sprayed and left (assuming you have a fine mist sprayer) - it is much more versatile than BSD.

BSD was a winter top for me beacuse of it's 'waxy' feel after buffing .. 8 wash durability and its polymer content.

FA.. as Rian says.. much shinier, and is/was a summer thing for me because it attracts less pollen and dust.
I wouldn't quite say its a "spray a rinse" ive never used it like that but I can see where youvr got it from as DODO juice say "or even as a fortifier to a pressure washer rinse solution."

Now I interpret that as you can add it do a rinse solution however would still need to be dried so rather than getting 30-40% of the product on the ground just spray per pannel as you dry.

and, it is very different to other spay and rinses products I've used and does not behave the same either.

I may trie this on my alloys just to see the outcome as im intrigued now

#1,856 ·
I wouldn't quite say its a "spray a rinse" ive never used it like that but I can see where youvr got it from as DODO juice say "or even as a fortifier to a pressure washer rinse solution."

Now I interpret that as you can add it do a rinse solution however would still need to be dried so rather than getting 30-40% of the product on the ground just spray per pannel as you dry.

and, it is very different to other spay and rinses products I've used and does not behave the same either.

I may trie this on my alloys just to see the outcome as im intrigued now
I stand corrected they do now give advice to use it in a PW however you still need to dry it

#1,835 ·
Today i used BSD as a drying aid, as i usually do, but this time it was over the top of FK1000p which i used for the first time last week.

I really like the "natural" look of FK1000p, the "extra clearcoat" look as its been described and it stood out today how much "bling" BSD brings to the party. The BSD is super glossy, and a bit more artificial looking, wheras the FK was a little bit underwhelming at first, but then grew on me ( its really weird how FK gets more shiny after a couple of days - i had read about this, but it was still a little strange)

They seem to work well on a metallic silver car, which needs all the help it can get in the bling department, as its a colour which always just look nice, but never spectacular.

The business of BSD not being much of a cleaner ( even though it is advertised as having cleaning properties ) is very true, but it does do a good job on cleaning and slightly darkening the flexible plastic and rubber trim you find around Windows and doors. Its nothing much on hard plastics, but it does seem to work well on flexible trim.

My experiments with FK seem to suggest that it works very well on smooth, hard trim, but not good at all on textured stuff.

I do like this combo of FK + BSD though, its very encouraging so far.

#1,836 ·
Today i used BSD as a drying aid, as i usually do, but this time it was over the top of FK1000p which i used for the first time last week.

I really like the "natural" look of FK1000p, the "extra clearcoat" look as its been described and it stood out today how much "bling" BSD brings to the party. The BSD is super glossy, and a bit more artificial looking, wheras the FK was a little bit underwhelming at first, but then grew on me ( its really weird how FK gets more shiny after a couple of days - i had read about this, but it was still a little strange)

They seem to work well on a metallic silver car, which needs all the help it can get in the bling department, as its a colour which always just look nice, but never spectacular.

The business of BSD not being much of a cleaner ( even though it is advertised as having cleaning properties ) is very true, but it does do a good job on cleaning and slightly darkening the flexible plastic and rubber trim you find around Windows and doors. Its nothing much on hard plastics, but it does seem to work well on flexible trim.

My experiments with FK seem to suggest that it works very well on smooth, hard trim, but not good at all on textured stuff.

I do like this combo of FK + BSD though, its very encouraging so far.
FK1000p sounds good, really been meaning to get it but I've been poorly. BSD works wonders, its called a "spray sealant" but take a before/after of a car with BSD, it will be glossier/darker looking. I would never spray BSD or any QD on a dirty car to "clean" it.

Sometimes you have to step outside the boat, and look at things differently.

#1,844 ·
Today i used BSD as a drying aid, as usual, but for some random reason gave the bottle a good shake as I was walking towards the car with it.

Unusually, it came out as a fairly fine spray, instead of the usual thing of looking like someone has spat it out onto the paint.

So i gave the bottle a decent shake and, again, it came out as a reasonably fine spray pattern.

Spread easier too.

Might be worth giving the bottle a good shake before using BSD, as it seems to definitely make it come out better / thinner (?) from the spray bottle.

#1,851 ·
I've applied BSD with a foam microfibre pad type thing, one or two squirts per panel onto the pad and apply.. Buff off.

Is this not the recommended way? Would I be better applying to a microfibre cloth instead, or maybe straight onto the panel and then wipe with a damp microfibre?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.