Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 20-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #31
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,659 Times in 2,288 Posts
Honda were never here because we built the best cars, they were here just so they could get around the importation rules, Toyota and Nissan are exactly the same. Now the EU have removed the import duty expect Nissan and Toyota to do the same.

Honda has been producing less and less in Swindon, the jazz, crv and accord all being moved back to japan and civic sales are nothing like they were 5 years ago.

At least Honda are looking after there own by moving production back to there own country, in the uk we would do the opposite and support someone else’s economy.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (20-02-2019), Derekh929 (20-02-2019), woodycivic (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #32
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,834 Times in 4,747 Posts
MugWump

I've run British built cars all my motoring life (which began in 1979), and the ones I have had experience of have been generally reliable (and several have been run to over 100k miles, with very few unexpected issues). None of them has ever let me down at the roadside, and any repair bills that I have had have been miniscule compared to the ones I was hearing about relating to other supposedly ultra reliable brands!

It is the anti-British attitude that is, in general, "poor quality rubbish".

Try telling me that with a father and uncle that had two that kept breaking down when I was a young kid, I worked on cars servicing my apprenticeship as auto electrician and doing mechanical repairs as well. This was in the 80's and there were some very poor cars out there at the time, they may have been simpler to repair but build was shocking back in the day.
Just go on a tour of the mini factory and chat to some of the old guys that were on production plant years ago.
I know lots of newer cars not good as well, but Jag LR cars seem to have more than there fair share of troubles speaking to people that bought new over last few years as well.
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #33
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,222 Times in 2,015 Posts
Garage
In the good old days of british car manufacture, Rover/British Leyland in Swindon was at the end of the road where i grew up. Well it still is, but now BMW.

They had massive yards where they used to store the vehicles between assembly and painting. If it rained during the week, the cars were already rusting before they were painted! I know a few folk that worked there for many years and, yes, the friday afternoon car did exist!

Honda pretty much saved Rovers behind in the 80's & 90's with the joint projects too, 200/Ballade, 400/Civic, 600/Accord, 800/Legend etc.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #34
GleemSpray
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,697 Posts
I started driving in 1979 too and experienced british cars and bikes for many years - they were generally made of good materials, but were unreliable because of multiple small faults in fit and finish.

As a family we ran BL cars and other British for years and it was a complete revalation when my dad bought a Nissan Bluebird around 1980 - fantastic fit, finish and equipment levels by comparison.

Before anyone tries to convince me that I am mistaken, I will put out a small sample of things i/we have personally witnessed and experienced from new british cars:

Austin maxi multiple gearbox problems and suspension failure.

Rover SD1 chronic rust / terrible switchgear and electrics /random central locking.

A new Rover Vitesse with so many faults that was rejected with the threat of legal action.

Mote than 1 Mini with subframe problems.

Red Robbo had a lot to answer for.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (20-02-2019), Derekh929 (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #35
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
I started driving in 1979 too and experienced british cars and bikes for many years - they were generally made of good materials, but were unreliable because of multiple small faults in fit and finish.

As a family we ran BL cars and other British for years and it was a complete revalation when my dad bought a Nissan Bluebird around 1980 - fantastic fit, finish and equipment levels by comparison.

Before anyone tries to convince me that I am mistaken, I will put out a small sample of things i/we have personally witnessed and experienced from new british cars:

Austin maxi multiple gearbox problems and suspension failure.

Rover SD1 chronic rust / terrible switchgear and electrics /random central locking.

A new Rover Vitesse with so many faults that was rejected with the threat of legal action.

Mote than 1 Mini with subframe problems.

Red Robbo had a lot to answer for.
ah yes the Maxi , split windscreen by any chance and overheating? , ours was Rust orange colour
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (20-02-2019), GleemSpray (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #36
andy665

Thanked 4,077 Times in 2,277 Posts
Hondas decision makes sound commercial sense:

1. A plant that has been running under capacity for many years

2. Demand for its products in Europe declining whilst steady or rising elsewhere in the world

3. A Japan / EU trade deal that will see the gradual removal of import tariffs on goods bought n from Japan

If you were a business operating a factory under capacity where that capacity can be taken up by other plants in markets where there is actually demand for your products what would you do?
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (20-02-2019), DimitriUK (20-02-2019), percymon (20-02-2019), shycho (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #37
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Ah the austin maxi, dad had 3 of them, a sick green colour - which he cleanly removed the boot from by backing out of a garage with a nylon washing line being left out and the boot up, it took it straight off its hinges, still it got taped down and went to Poland the next day and was fixed on its return.

The unions have destroyed the UK car industry (the government must take responsibility for the aerospace side and the shipbuilding) but logistically building cars in the UK then exporting them doesn't make financial sense either, with a central hub (usually germany) everything can be moved with less fuss.

Vauxhall will go next, there is no point building the Astra in liverpool, PSA have stacks of capacity and they are going to look aft themselves, the production guys salaries must be huge, i bet they are on near on 50/60k per year, Landrover going back 20 years were near enough 45k and the cleaners at Dagenham were well into the 30's

As a nation we love to put ourselves down usually through the press, a british car we will pick faults with but a german car, nothing is mentioned. Could you imagine the US buying a new war ship or aircraft from germany or the EU ?
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #38
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
ah yes the Maxi , split windscreen by any chance and overheating? , ours was Rust orange colour
Oh yes, for some reaaon known only to my father, we had several of them (i think he liked the large boot).

Regrettably, i did some of my learning to drive in a Fawn Brown ( diarrhea) coloured one and had the gearlever go limp and detach on more than one occasion when trying to select reverse.

One of these times was in the Porlock hills in Devon, on a family holiday, because my Dad thought it would be a great place to learn hill starts.

Best days of our lives... etc, etc.

They dont build 'em like that anymore...
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #39
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
Oh yes, for some reaaon known only to my father, we had several of them (i think he liked the large boot).

Regrettably, i did some of my learning to drive in a Fawn Brown ( diarrhea) coloured one and had the gearlever go limp and detach on more than one occasion when trying to select reverse.

One of these times was in the Porlock hills in Devon, on a family holiday, because my Dad thought it would be a great place to learn hill starts.

Best days of our lives... etc, etc.

They dont build 'em like that anymore...
Fawn Brown:, that was worse than rust orange lol: I have to ask if you had the Chocolate Brown bathroom suite in the house ? or the Avocado one?

I feel your pain loud and clear

Kids would ask for counselling having to go to school in a car like that know
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
GleemSpray (20-02-2019)
Old 20-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #40
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Dads other two were Perkins Blue and russet brown.