Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Another Mini Resto - Mini One Convertible

Bit of preamble first.

Last year whilst on holiday at home I saw a Mini Cooper S on facebook with issues. (Head gasket from memory). Made a cheeky offer but didn't hear back and when followed it up it had sold.

Anyway a few months later another Cooper came up on eBay. MOT failure needing Rear brake pipes and a driveshaft. Made a few quid on that. Would have been more but got rooked on insurance (still something that seems a pain in the **** trying to insure a car on and off).

Anyway the wife decided she would like to try a Mini Convertible, so the hunt started. This one came up locally with clutch problems. Seller said he tried bleeding the clutch but fluid was pouring out, which led me to believe and hope that it was the slave cylinder. Other than that the car was pretty tidy, except for the wheels. I managed to get a couple of hundred quid off as it had been up a couple of weeks and the seller delivered it also having a recovery lorry.

Other items noticed that needed sorting. New Aerial, split air intake pipe, chrome ring on front bumper missing and chrome strip on front bumper creased. a couple of MOT advisories, main one being front subframe rear bushes.

Picture the day it was delivered.

Last edited by srhutch; 11-11-2018 at 02:30 PM.
srhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
First things first, was to give it a bit of a clean

Pictures before I did anything.

Roof was absolutely disgusting

The roof wasn't coming good with cleaner so in the end hit it with the pressure washer

Clean pic with the wifes plate on it, make such a difference (Aerial fitted to)

Havent touched the interior as yet.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
So main job was to replace the suspected clutch slave cylinder. One was ordered and when it arrived I began.

Removal was easy, and it was obvious when removing somebody had been looking at it as all was loose.

Anyway first problem. Old cylinder on left, new on right.

As it happened this turned out to be good news, although the actual cylinder I required is double the price. Anyway the good news as I found out is that all convertibles have a Getrag gearbox and not the chocolate Midlands box.

Made myself a fixture so I could bleed the cylinder. I used this even with the correct cylinder, just having to add another piece of wood to get the cylinder depressed enough.

Bad news though after all this it made no difference. I tried bleeding and re-bleeding as they are known to be difficult. I wanted to be sure I had bled it properly before going further as I needed to be sure where the issue lied. A fired advised taken the cylinder off the car and putting back on my fixture and then pressing the clutch pedal. I did this and it was as hard as a rock. This confirmed the clutch we bled properly

So you can guess what comes next.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
So with plan A out of the window and the car requiring further work I had to make a choice, and this depended on where I could do the work.

I have a pit in my garage, but its also where I keep my Z4M. I also wasn't sure how helpful a pit would actually be for this job. So I ruled this out as I didn't want the Z4 sitting outside over winter if something went wrong.

I then looked to see if I could get the mini behind the house and jack it up. I knew it would go round the back as the last one did, but want sure if I could get it jacked up with the space available.

Yes I could

So I had 4 days clear and good weather so off I went to get the gearbox out.

Had to pack this stand out as up on all 4 only rested on 3.

Bumper, liners, and crash bar off.

Subrame dropped, which meant the MOT advisory was obviously going to be addressed.

At this stage I had everything off that needed to be and had loosened the bolts holding the gearbox onto the bell housing.

MY dad came round the following day to assist getting the gearbox off.

With the gearbox out we could see the crank seal was weeping. Ordered one from ECP as it was the fastest one we could get, although £7 more than BMW. Dad fitted it and messed it up. He used a bit of soil pipe as suggested, but it allowed the seal to be pushed in too far. So had to order another, this time from BMW and I fitted it this time using a small piece of wood and gently tapped in by moving the bit of wood round the seal till it was flush.

With the gearbox removed I could start to look at the suspect clutch. My though along with others was it was probably the bearing. This looked fine though. It this point I was a little worried. However when examining the clutch plate the problem became clear.

The fingers were all out of line. Probably the wave spring in the clutch plate has failed. This restored my confidence.

However time was getting on and at this point with no crank seal we had to call it a day. This was end of day 3 so only one day left.

Day 4 arrived, and so did the sub frame rear arm bushes. Bit later than expected, but just in time. Dad picked the crank seal up on his way over. Crank seal went it correctly so it was on to getting the gearbox back in.

Sorry no photos, but in the end we used an engine beam with a ratchet strap and after half an hour or so of messing around we got the box back on. Time was now running out fast. There was no way I was going to get it back up and running today, and going off to France with 7 mates with 7 other Z4's I want to at least get the sub frame back on. I managed to do this and packed up at 18:30 when the light ran out. The sub frame was nipped up. At least I could do the rest on my own.

Shamless pic of 7 of the 8 Zed's. 6 ///M roadsters, 1 Alpina Roadster s and an E89 35i
This is outside the townhall of Torgini-sur-Vire in Normandy.

So the mini sat there for a week and a half until I could get back to it, where I had to tighten up the sub frame, re attach the suspension, re fit the gearbox linkage, re fit and bleed the radiator, re fit the battery box and battery etc.

Then finally drop the car back on to its wheels and see if all my hard work had paid off.

You can imagine my relief when I could move the car, I could only test 1st and reverse at this stage, but it worked.

Whilst putting the rad back I noticed it had also been weeping so will be getting a new one this week, and then hopefully next week will replace and refit the final pieces, the arch liners, crash bar and bumper cover.

Last edited by srhutch; 11-11-2018 at 05:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to srhutch For This Useful Post:
oneflewover (12-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Managed to pick up a bit of a bargain.

Needed 3 things on the front bumper, off side fog light chrome bezel, nearside indicator and the long chrome strip.

Managed to pick this up for a tenner. Had to travel to Harrow to get, but still cheaper than the £26 I could find for just the chrome bezel.

Last edited by srhutch; 11-11-2018 at 05:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to srhutch For This Useful Post:
AS_BO (11-11-2018), Mike1982 (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
AS_BO
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Tremendous man, we all love a project - sub’d!!
AS_BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
Andyblue

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,782 Posts
Cracking read mate, coming along well and definitely a cracking buy on the bumper
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
WaxIsForWinners
Washmitt Meister

Garage
It is actually quite amazing whats out there when you need spares.

I saw on another project thread, think it was LincolnDanny's, that sometimes its more cost effective to buy a whole car to get the bits you need. Same sort of thing applies to your bumper situation.

Looking forward to more progress!!
WaxIsForWinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Hopefully road worthy by next weekend. Need to give admiral a ring to see if I can add a third car, and see what the penalty will be when I go back down to two. Getting flexible insurance is impossible.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
JR1982

Thanked 1,316 Times in 1,059 Posts
Garage
Now subscribed!
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
mechrepairs (25-11-2018)