Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone > The Tuning & Maintenance Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tuning & Maintenance Zone Need to fix or need to go faster, here is the forum to cater for either.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist
 
Walesy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 486
Thanks: 69
Thanked 178 Times in 146 Posts
Fault code - P2096

Looking for some pointers here guys, so would appreciate the help if you are able to!

We left Halifax today, heading home to Glasgow and our wee VW Up!(64 plate with 16k miles) sprung a fault code, P2096 which relates to lean running.

I have had a look over the car and it seems to be ok, checked the vacuums etc. with no issue found.

So, I have now cleared the code and had a wee wizz around the roads for 4-5 miles with no fault reoccurring.

I get no other codes to indicate the issue is relating to a missfire (to suggest a plug) or an injector, just the P2096 code.

So when I came home, I decided to have another wee look and change the air filter (which I had intended to do anyway) and ran the car on the drive. After a few good heavy revs, the car did stutter slightly I would say and then I notice some cold water from the exhaust on the drive.

I am just wondering if I have had some dodgy fuel, I filled up at J36 and travelled 50 miles to our destination on Saturday with no issue, today was the first journey since then and we only travelled, say 12 miles, when the fault occurred.

No water in oil or oil in water, so I am not worried about that.

Anything else I can look to do to eliminate things? Or just wait and see if it reoccurs?


TIA
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,267
Thanks: 45
Thanked 625 Times in 508 Posts
There could be a few reasons but it is still low mileage. I would think it worth waiting to see if the light comes on again.
Any of the things you mention could cause a fault condition so it may be worth running this tank down to nothing and have a fresh refill of super fuel just to eliminate it.
Do you know if you have a wideband front O2 sensor (5 or 6 wires as opposed to the more usual 4 on the rear and older vehicles.
Wideband sensors work in a different way and contain a little air pump along with a heater and a mixing chamber. They also work on a different principle by trying to maintain 450 mv across the sensor by varying the amount of oxygen.
It is possible that the rear sensor issue is caused by the front sensor, dirty contaminated or leaking etc) because the rear sensor is directly responding to the front sensor adjustment but after the catalyst.
If the front sensor is not performing correctly it may manifest itself as a rear sensor fault because the rear sensor really works as a final trimming device responding to the output of the front sensor and the cat.
From the type of driving you were doing I would imagine it may only occur at those speeds and those conditions.
Is the ECU software up to date?
Is the fuel pump noisier than usual?
A misfire would show as P0301, P0302, P0303, etc depending on the affected cylinder.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 25-03-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stamford Lincs
Posts: 6,443
Thanks: 3,530
Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,367 Posts
Too much air ? have you had it smoke tested for leaks ?
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist
 
Walesy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 486
Thanks: 69
Thanked 178 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
There could be a few reasons but it is still low mileage. I would think it worth waiting to see if the light comes on again.
Any of the things you mention could cause a fault condition so it may be worth running this tank down to nothing and have a fresh refill of super fuel just to eliminate it.
Do you know if you have a wideband front O2 sensor (5 or 6 wires as opposed to the more usual 4 on the rear and older vehicles.
Wideband sensors work in a different way and contain a little air pump along with a heater and a mixing chamber. They also work on a different principle by trying to maintain 450 mv across the sensor by varying the amount of oxygen.
It is possible that the rear sensor issue is caused by the front sensor, dirty contaminated or leaking etc) because the rear sensor is directly responding to the front sensor adjustment but after the catalyst.
If the front sensor is not performing correctly it may manifest itself as a rear sensor fault because the rear sensor really works as a final trimming device responding to the output of the front sensor and the cat.
From the type of driving you were doing I would imagine it may only occur at those speeds and those conditions.
Is the ECU software up to date?
Is the fuel pump noisier than usual?
A misfire would show as P0301, P0302, P0303, etc depending on the affected cylinder.
Hi buddy,

not sure on the sensors, I was running out of day light and pizza was on the way LOL...So I will get a better look tomorrow to see what I can establish.

One thing it did do, I revved the car in neutral, heavily, to see if I could get the code to appear, it stuttered a few times on the way to the max 4k (max limit when stationary) revs, I would say around 2.5k revs. But it stopped doing it after a couple of revs.

Dont think the ECU has been updated, we have only had it a year and the fuel pump is the same I would say as Ive not noted any differences.
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist
 
Walesy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 486
Thanks: 69
Thanked 178 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Too much air ? have you had it smoke tested for leaks ?
the exhaust?
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #6
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,267
Thanks: 45
Thanked 625 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy. View Post
Hi buddy,

not sure on the sensors, I was running out of day light and pizza was on the way LOL...So I will get a better look tomorrow to see what I can establish.

One thing it did do, I revved the car in neutral, heavily, to see if I could get the code to appear, it stuttered a few times on the way to the max 4k (max limit when stationary) revs, I would say around 2.5k revs. But it stopped doing it after a couple of revs.

Dont think the ECU has been updated, we have only had it a year and the fuel pump is the same I would say as Ive not noted any differences.
Mmmmmmm pizza!
I find it is difficult these days to rely on fast throttle openings and rpm (splutters etc) when stationary. The performance is always better, I find, when driving but you know your car better than me.

Something like a cracked manifold or leaky gasket ahead of the front sensor and catalyst would make the front sensor enrich the mixture to try and compensate and make the cat work harder/hotter but that does not appear to be the problem.
Do you know anyone who will give it an emissions test?
Are you any good at reading/interpreting/understanding the data blocks that VW use?
Do you have VCDS or similar. I don't know if Carista shows data blocks but you would still need a key to understand which block shows what.
With such low mileage it is possible for mechanical failures but it just seems unlikely. Dirty or watery fuel can be a problem. Software on the other hand can go wonky at any time.
Live data on a diagnostic would be my first choice.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist
 
Walesy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 486
Thanks: 69
Thanked 178 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
Mmmmmmm pizza!
I find it is difficult these days to rely on fast throttle openings and rpm (splutters etc) when stationary. The performance is always better, I find, when driving but you know your car better than me.

Something like a cracked manifold or leaky gasket ahead of the front sensor and catalyst would make the front sensor enrich the mixture to try and compensate and make the cat work harder/hotter but that does not appear to be the problem.
Do you know anyone who will give it an emissions test?
Are you any good at reading/interpreting/understanding the data blocks that VW use?
Do you have VCDS or similar. I don't know if Carista shows data blocks but you would still need a key to understand which block shows what.
With such low mileage it is possible for mechanical failures but it just seems unlikely. Dirty or watery fuel can be a problem. Software on the other hand can go wonky at any time.
Live data on a diagnostic would be my first choice.
Aye it was good..couldnt wait to get in my chops LOL

The car accelerates fine, thats why I mentioned this as a friend of mine said the same thing about it revving when stationary..I forgot to mention,

I will see my mate across the road, he may have something in his garage nut he stopped doing MOT's so dont know what he has available these days,

I have no software or anything to read any live data, I am a software & Controls engineer to trade, so it should be too difficult for me to pick up if I can get software to look at it. Is there a free version I can get? I have a lead for the OBD port that I used on the BMW coding software, it is just an RJ45 to OBD,

Last edited by Walesy.; 26-03-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,267
Thanks: 45
Thanked 625 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy. View Post
Aye it was good..couldnt wait to get in my chops LOL

The car accelerates fine, thats why I mentioned this as a friend of mine said the same thing about it revving when stationary..I forgot to mention,

I will see my mate across the road, he may have something in his garage nut he stopped doing MOT's so dont know what he has available these days,

I have no software or anything to read any live data, I am a software & Controls engineer to trade, so it should be too difficult for me to pick up if I can get software to look at it. Is there a free version I can get? I have a lead for the OBD port that I used on the BMW coding software, it is just an RJ45 to OBD,
Sorry, been a long day.
I have not seen an RJ45 to OBD but I know they exist. All mine have been usb, serial, Bluetooth or wireless.
I use VCDS for VW ( I prefer it to my Snap-on scanner) which allows you to do all sorts of things with Ross Tech support but it is quite expensive for a home user if not being used and paid for frequently. There are lower level packages though for one or up to three vehicles. It is capable of things that the VW system is not.
Carista is about £15 for the module with a month free but after that there can be an annual subscription depending on the need to access more data.
OBDeleven had some good press but again is paid for but does do coding etc this can be very useful for VW vehicles for switching things on or off but does require some care not to brick a module. Record everything relevant before changing anything.
There are plenty more that are very low cost to read OBD codes but can be functionally limited. With regard to live data and coding etc.
As your vehicle is recent you may well come up against manufacturer specific codes for which descriptions can sometimes be found but frequently not.
Sorry, that was not much help really.
If your mate has a diagnostic and is able to read live data that might be a good solution.
Has the light come back on?
If it is any comfort my mothers golf has a similar thing where it randomly throws up codes. I clear them and they never return or one day the light goes out on its own. A low battery or some other seemingly irrelevant thing that might never happen again can be the cause.

Before you delete codes it is worth having a library where you can store any scans. There is something called freeze frame data which records the actual parameters when the fault occurred. It is not always available as an option but once you know how to use it, invaluable.
When you clear the code it disappears though so scan and save. Delete codes as a very last action.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 26-03-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist
 
Walesy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 486
Thanks: 69
Thanked 178 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
Sorry, been a long day.
I have not seen an RJ45 to OBD but I know they exist. All mine have been usb, serial, Bluetooth or wireless.
I use VCDS for VW ( I prefer it to my Snap-on scanner) which allows you to do all sorts of things with Ross Tech support but it is quite expensive for a home user if not being used and paid for frequently. There are lower level packages though for one or up to three vehicles. It is capable of things that the VW sytem is not.
Carista is about £15 for the module with a month free but after that there can be an annual subscription depending on the need to access more data.
OBDeleven had some good press but again is paid for but does do coding etc this can be very useful for VW vehicles for switching things on or off but does require some care not to brick a module. Record everything relevant before changing anything.
There are plenty more that are very low cost to read OBD codes but can be functionally limited. With regard to live data and coding etc.
As your vehicle is recent you may well come up against manufacturer specific codes for which descriptions can sometimes be found but frequently not.
Sorry, that was not much help really.
If your mate has a diagnostic and is able to read live data that might be a good solution.
Has the light come back on?
If it is any comfort my mothers golf has a similar thing where it randomly throws up codes. I clear them and they never return or one day the light goes out on its own. A low battery or some other seemingly irrelevant thing that might never happen again can be the cause.

Before you delete codes it is worth having a library where you can store any scans. There is something called freeze frame data which records the actual parameters when the fault occurred. It is not always available as an option but once you know how to use it, invaluable.
When you clear the code it disappears though so scan and save. Delete codes as a very last action.
Thanks for the info buddy!

I cleared the light yesterday and took it a spin as I say, she has been out in it today and its not came back on. But I will use the freeze frame on the code reader in future. I would like something relatively cheap for live data for myself, makes me feel more useful LOL, plus I am interested in using it all due to my back ground. Sad I know. If you know a cheap one, but effective, let me know,

I will keep a wee eye on it and see how it pans out, I am hoping that when the tank runs down I fire some super in it and give it a blast, I do plan to put a cleaner through it too.

Thanks again buddy

Last edited by Walesy.; 26-03-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors