Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone > The Tuning & Maintenance Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tuning & Maintenance Zone Need to fix or need to go faster, here is the forum to cater for either.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 7,664 Times in 5,160 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cueball View Post

good stuff... are you still going for the remap or just going to leave it with the factory special??

Not decided yet Cue Ball, it's not desperate for it as it's darn fast as it is, but it's good to know that the capabilities are there.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 8,064 Times in 5,032 Posts
420bhp is more than enough for a road car.

Spend the money and go do something like driving tuition to get the most out of the car. It'll make more of a difference than another 90bhp.

Do you not get a M car experience day now why you buy an M car?

This engine is a lot more expensive than the last M2. I would not be wanting to face any expensive engine or transmission issues.

Last edited by Kerr; 04-06-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 7,664 Times in 5,160 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
420bhp is more than enough for a road car.

Spend the money and go do something like driving tuition to get the most out of the car. It'll make more of a difference than another 90bhp.

Do you not get a M car experience day now why you buy an M car?

This engine is a lot more expensive than the last M2. I would not be wanting to face any expensive engine or transmission issues.
GAD tuned my last M2, ran so sweetly and made for a better car for it. They are very good at what they do and I have complete confidence in their abilities, they also de tuned my old M2 back to stock before I sold it.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,589 Posts
I may be showing my age so excuse my senility.

I thought manufacturers quoted bhp at the flywheel and rolling road dynos measure at the wheels and then use adjustments for power at flywheel.

Is it therefore a bit of a black art?
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
piston_warrior (04-06-2019), Soul boy 68 (05-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #15
piston_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
I may be showing my age so excuse my senility.

I thought manufacturers quoted bhp at the flywheel and rolling road dynos measure at the wheels and then use adjustments for power at flywheel.

Is it therefore a bit of a black art?
Spot on and figures can be manipulated (Iím not suggesting the OPs figures are, but Iíve seen it done in the past at various RR days)
piston_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piston_warrior For This Useful Post:
fatdazza (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #16
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGWRX02 View Post
Yeah I see that video online from Drivetribe talking about LLF. Having received a demand for full payment or theyíre taking the car back after itís mods to nearly 720 bhp.
Just watched the video.

Is he really that naive that he never knew you aren't allowed to modify a car on finance? Really?

He didn't know the finance company was still the owner of the car?

He signed for £60-70k finance and didn't even read the big bold bits?

Does the dealer not have to make sure you understand the finance agreement?

Honestly on the BMW forums there is tons of TRL customers that have totally misunderstood their agreement.
Turkleton (06-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
tosh

Thanked 1,172 Times in 988 Posts
My M2 Competitions engine hasn't been de-tuned.

I donít think they want the car back. They canít sell it as it has no warranty. Itís worth nothing to them now in that state. Theyíll have to auction it and stick him with the balance.

BMW finance canít be seen condoning someone blatantly and publicly breaking their contract.

LLF really thought that a financed modded car wouldnít somehow arouse the suspicions of the finance company? And he has how many subscribers?

Unfortunately, I can believe that some people are that naive.

Yes, TRL will have explained the terms, itís up to you if you want to listen (he did with me).
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #18
fatdazza

Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Just watched the video.

Is he really that naive that he never knew you aren't allowed to modify a car on finance? Really?

He didn't know the finance company was still the owner of the car?

He signed for £60-70k finance and didn't even read the big bold bits?

Does the dealer not have to make sure you understand the finance agreement?

Honestly on the BMW forums there is tons of TRL customers that have totally misunderstood their agreement.
Had to watch the video to have a laugh.

I guess some people shouldn't be allowed credit...Ö.
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #19
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
I donít think they want the car back. They canít sell it as it has no warranty. Itís worth nothing to them now in that state. Theyíll have to auction it and stick him with the balance.

BMW finance canít be seen condoning someone blatantly and publicly breaking their contract.

LLF really thought that a financed modded car wouldnít somehow arouse the suspicions of the finance company? And he has how many subscribers?

Unfortunately, I can believe that some people are that naive.

Yes, TRL will have explained the terms, itís up to you if you want to listen (he did with me).
He also sells modified cars on finance.

He sells the Motech modified cars that are in breach of the finance agreement and ruins the warranty too. He tries to suggest otherwise.

With the car market slowing down I think there will come a time when the finance companies become really strict with the cars they take back. I bet they will start checking if the car has been modified and check the ECU to find if the car has been previously remapped.

They'll look for reasons not to take it back and get the balloon payment, especially if the car isn't going to get that kind of money at auction.
Derekh929 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #20
andy665

Thanked 4,870 Times in 2,649 Posts
Agree totally with what Kerr has said- anyone who modifies a car when on HP or PCP is taking a huge risk.

Working in and around the motor industry and the finance industry I know that many manufacturer finance houses are being overwhelmed with cars being returned, it is putting a financial strain on them and as a consequence they are looking for ways to mitigate their potential losses

A soft target is returned vehicles that have been modified in any way from standard, not just ECU remapping but cosmetically or suspension wise etc - forcing the customer to retain the car by paying the OFP is being seriously looked at by many finance houses

As for remapping companies that say that once removed their maps are untraceable - that is complete and utter BS - may have been true a few years ago but certainly not now.

I bumped into an old friend of mine at the weekend who is a software developer for a major manufacturer. We got talking about this sort of thing and he said that pretty much all software allows the manufacturer to identify if non OE changes have been made - its pretty much a standard part of development now - driven primarily for the ability to fight claims on warranty and to shift blame away from themselves in the event of accidents etc, apparently even the ECUs controlling electronic damping can detect changes made from OE - as modifying appears to be on the rise and the number of vehicles financed is growing its hardly surprising that manufacturers are protecting themselves.

Apparently the manufacturer my friend works for even has a department that works with insurance companies to provide data that can be used to turn down claims
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (05-06-2019), piston_warrior (05-06-2019)