Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 28-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
JoranRaven
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Mk3 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Estate

Late last year my dad replaced his car due to a need for an automatic, after a bit of searching he found a mondeo estate he liked the look of so we went and saw it as it was quite local.

I popped over during my lunch break at work but as my leg was in a splint I didnít give it a thorough looking over, it had good history etc and drove fine, knowing I would be able to fix most niggles he bought it.

Fast forward 6+ months and now all of the little niggles have been identified and now that my own car tasks have reduced down focus has turned on getting the mondeo up to scratch...

The first thing that was done was improving the spec, which was already quite high, by adding genuine xenon headlights, easy task and quite cheap! Got a set of second hand headlight units nice and cheap (more on those later) and then make the wiring loom adaptation. Luckily, some clever chappy sells loom adaptors readily made...

These were installed with the assistance of a friend a while back, what we didnít realise is that the looms are sided as one side is Male and one is female, so took longer than it should have:

The headlights on mk3 mondeos are renowned for the rubber trims deteriorating, this was indeed the case with the xenon lights as you can see:

Ordered genuine replacements for the rubber trims:

Removed the clips holding the rubber trims onto the units:

Started pulling off the old rubber:

Then replaced the rubbers:

Put the clips on to retain them:

What the car looked like whilst the work was done:

Refitted the lights:

Checked the ATF whilst the car was hot and in park (as per instructions), was clean and to the appropriate level:

The dirt is from where I wiped the top of the dipstick.

There was an odd rushing of air noise when the car was being driven, it was found quite quickly:

A gaping hole where the brake booster push rod goes through the bulkhead, another common issue it seems... ordered the replacement boots:

Engine bay was rather dirty so I gave it a very quick clean:

Here it was after:

Noticed this mess on the passenger front door:

Opened the front doors to find this:

Absolute state! They were cleaned up:

And greased directly to contact points to save the mess!

Finally I picked up a service kit and discs and pads for all around the car, all will be changed in due course as well as a complete flush of the brake fluid amongst other tasks:

I will update as and when changes happen to the car, as it is not my own progress may be less frequent and the final goal isnít as in depth as my own, just want to tidy it up and make it fully functional...
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
66Rob (02-09-2019), Andyblue (29-06-2019), Cookeh (02-09-2019), Del-GTi (29-06-2019), GSVHammer (03-07-2019), macca666 (29-06-2019), Mike1982 (29-06-2019), oneflewover (29-06-2019), Tuddie (29-06-2019)
Old 29-06-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
coco13a
Unwashed Member

Tidy job on this one mate, how much did the headlight rubbers cost you ?
coco13a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coco13a For This Useful Post:
JoranRaven (29-06-2019)
Old 29-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
JoranRaven

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco13a View Post
Tidy job on this one mate, how much did the headlight rubbers cost you ?
Theyíre £30.99 each from Rates Ford, cheapest I could find
Old 29-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,671 Times in 3,019 Posts
Cracking job and some great updates to the car, definitely starting to look better

Looking forward to the updated thread...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
JoranRaven (29-06-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 AM   #5
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,738 Times in 2,352 Posts
I'd suggest going for the pagid discs as a minimum, the Eicher and Apec discs are not up to it, mine had new Apec discs on it when i purchased it and they have started to judder.

If the rear end feels floaty then its potentially the rear shocks mine are knackered, i absolutely abuse the living hell out of mine and it doesn't look as tidy as yours - I do like mine though.

Rear calipers are prone to failure as are front coil springs - one was done when i got mine and i did the other earlier this year and its not a job I ever want to repeat.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
JoranRaven (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
JoranRaven

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
I'd suggest going for the pagid discs as a minimum, the Eicher and Apec discs are not up to it, mine had new Apec discs on it when i purchased it and they have started to judder.

If the rear end feels floaty then its potentially the rear shocks mine are knackered, i absolutely abuse the living hell out of mine and it doesn't look as tidy as yours - I do like mine though.

Rear calipers are prone to failure as are front coil springs - one was done when i got mine and i did the other earlier this year and its not a job I ever want to repeat.
Thanks for the tips, the car does about 15 miles a week so it should be relatively simple to keep tidy... as for the brakes I will see how they go with the usage it gets, my dad just poodles about in it really.

Will keep an eye on the callipers, will inspect them when I change the brake components too. Front suspension work never tends to be fun but if one does go Iíll do the pair I imagine
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
bense556
Washmitt Meister

When doing the brakes on my old one, the pistons had to be actually wound in, rather than just pressed in. And they alternate which direction they rewind depending on the side of the car.
If I remember correctly, drivers side rotate clockwise to wind in and the passenger side rotates anti-clockwise to wind in. You probably already know this, but I learnt the hard way!!!
bense556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
JoranRaven

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bense556 View Post
When doing the brakes on my old one, the pistons had to be actually wound in, rather than just pressed in. And they alternate which direction they rewind depending on the side of the car.
If I remember correctly, drivers side rotate clockwise to wind in and the passenger side rotates anti-clockwise to wind in. You probably already know this, but I learnt the hard way!!!
Ta, didnít know that but have a variety of brake tools now including the winding piston compressor with a couple of plates

I learned all of those the hard way too, long gone are my days of using waterpump pliers and gripping the back of the caliper and the piston face
Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
JoranRaven

Garage
Parcel arrived today:

Just to make the car a bit fresher and get rid of the red border, on a blue car
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
JoranRaven

Garage
Got a delivery again today:

Pair of replacement bonnet struts as the past 13 years havenít been kind to the originals (assuming here)...

So spent a little bit of time on the car, over greased dirty hinges:

Cleaned the hinge and replaced the strut:

Old vs new:

Other side is dirty:

Changed out too:

Old struts both out:

Gave the engine bay a bit more attention, still nowhere near show standards but presentable:

Then decided to give the rear door hinges the same treatment as I had given to the front, dirty hinges:

Clean hinges and greased:

Then the other side was much the same, only took a picture after I had agitated the grease remover:

Whilst I was doing these couple of things I came up with a 2 new tasks to do to the car

So overall the list shrunk by one this afternoon, but itís simple and fun and ultimately means a nicer car
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
alfajim (04-07-2019)