Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #41
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 6,202
Thanked 3,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
Midrange tyes have got to be better than linglong or gowind, i'm sure that you don't need telling how ££ a project eat, but the only way to get the car to a level that you want is to spend a few quid, if your handy with the spanners it keeps the cost down and gives you a sense of achievement that money can't buy, only a true petrol head will understand that.
This is it. I've had comments from plenty of people already asking me why I want such an 'old' car and why I've bothered getting a car with over 100k miles on it and won't that cost a lot in fuel etc.

Seems to me that for some reason, cars always get a bad rap in these types of scenario.

Thankfully all you guys and girls on here understand why!

Yep I am handy with the spanners and have a very close friend who would do anything a bit serious, timing chain, bottom shells etc etc all that sort of stuff.

I'm quite lucky because if I didn't do those things...the cost of getting it to where I want or in case anything big goes wrong on it...would cost a fortune. Like you say. Being able to do a project and most things yourself really is a sense of achievement.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
SBM (09-03-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #42
PedroC
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Thanks: 13
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
This is it. I've had comments from plenty of people already asking me why I want such an 'old' car and why I've bothered getting a car with over 100k miles on it and won't that cost a lot in fuel etc.



Seems to me that for some reason, cars always get a bad rap in these types of scenario.



I’d say prolly because they haven’t driven an E39. BMW absolutely nailed it with the ride and build quality compared to some of the later generation BM’s.
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PedroC For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-03-2018), Ultra (28-02-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #43
Del-GTi
Orbital Oracle
 
Del-GTi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Inverclyde, Scotland
Posts: 579
Thanks: 282
Thanked 265 Times in 175 Posts
h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
Just reacting to a post that suggested buying from a certain outlet, oem parts that are fairly priced i'm all for, oem aftermarket parts that suggest oem quality are usually crap when it comes to how long they last or work. , it's a bit like buying tyres i avoid the cheapest.
Just curious as to which outlet you are referring? Surely not carparts4less?

Unless you count the likes of Bosch, Mann, Brembo, Sachs etc as crap? As that's the sort of brands available from ECP and CP4L.

Op, great buy. Looking forward to the updates.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #44
Ultra
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Ultra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kent
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 366
Thanked 922 Times in 804 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-GTi View Post
h

Just curious as to which outlet you are referring? Surely not carparts4less?

Unless you count the likes of Bosch, Mann, Brembo, Sachs etc as crap? As that's the sort of brands available from ECP and CP4L.

Op, great buy. Looking forward to the updates.
If you read my replie and digest it, you'll notice that i did not mention any brand name's, but if you want to go there cp4l which is owned by ecp do sell low rent two bob parts alongside the better brands
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #45
Del-GTi
Orbital Oracle
 
Del-GTi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Inverclyde, Scotland
Posts: 579
Thanks: 282
Thanked 265 Times in 175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
If you read my replie and digest it, you'll notice that i did not mention any brand name's, but if you want to go there cp4l which is owned by ecp do sell low rent two bob parts alongside the better brands
Go where? I read and fully digested your reply thanks. No need to get defensive. Just pointing out that you hadn't been specific and implied that they only sold crap or that the Op was going to fit such like.

Anyway, back to awaiting further updates from the Op.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #46
andy198712
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 128
Thanks: 11
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thats some spec list! some lovely extras, a lot of parts on the inside look like the ones in my 2010 bmw!
andy198712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy198712 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #47
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 6,202
Thanked 3,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
Garage
Decided I'd organise all the history, the receipts and mots all into date order and have a good read of what's actually been done.



A nice wadge of invoices..





Every tax disc from new until they were phased out...



Nicely stamped book





Finally all the original handbooks



Was an interesting read.

The most surprising thing I saw was that the auto gearbox has had a service at 109k. I'd been wandering if I should get it done because if they haven't been done regularly since it was new, having one done much later on can cause issues. It's believed that as the friction materials breakdown into the oil, which happens at a faster rate the more the oil gets contaminated, the material in the oil actually helps the gearbox continue to work as the oil gets thicker compensating for the loss of material on the friction discs. So if you then drain that out and put in fresh oil....the gearbox may start slipping, because the new oil is too thin to work with the more worn down plates.

I spoke to a BMW Specialist before today thinking it hadn't been done, and they told me I'd need to make my own mind up as they are aware having a service on it...could go either way.

Now I know it's been done, I assume I can go ahead and get it serviced?

Finally just because of the weather, a nice shot in the snow...



Thanks for following
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (01-03-2018), johny555ive (23-06-2018), SBM (09-03-2018), slim_boy_fat (01-03-2018), SunnyBoi (23-02-2019), Tuddie (20-10-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #48
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 7,643
Thanks: 13,659
Thanked 6,106 Times in 4,301 Posts
Garage
That's mad about the friction plates and the oil. As you say, it has been done fairly recently, so it should be OK to do again.

Keep the old oil just in case lol.

Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
SBM (09-03-2018), Starbuck88 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #49
PedroC
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Thanks: 13
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
If you’re going to service the gearbox, make sure you use the correct ZF oil. ZF actually make a gearbox service kit with the correct amount of oil and a few other bits.
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PedroC For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #50
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 6,202
Thanked 3,090 Times in 2,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC View Post
If you’re going to service the gearbox, make sure you use the correct ZF oil. ZF actually make a gearbox service kit with the correct amount of oil and a few other bits.
Yes you're right. It's easy to use the wrong oil in these boxes and places that don't know just chuck any ATF in and just fill it like old gearboxes until the fluid drips out and ends up knackering the box.

I did a service on the autobox in my 1996 520i SE, I followed the ZF instructions, you had to use INPA (BMW Diagnostic Software) to see when the gearbox was up to a certain temperature, then drain, then fill a specific amount, then get to another temperature etc, run through gears etc. It was quite a technical process to do.

In fact here is the guide: ZFHP15 Service Manual
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
SBM (09-03-2018)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors