Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 13-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Notebook
Sponge Jockey

Help on basics

Hi Guys

A few questions

I have just bought a rav4 - colour - carbon graphite 2 1/2 years old

1)I have seen a few pics of cars that are practically foaming when being washed I take it. How is this applied? Is there something you attach to a hose? or a power washer. I have a B&Q power washer, there own make I think, a green one - would this help? Anyway, is this being washed to get all the dirt off or wax etc?

2)Clay jobby - worth it on a car of this age? do I wash it first and then feel the paint?

3)Next you polish it? there are a few scratches - in the well behind the door handle - not deep at all - can these be polished out? As for the whole car, could this be done with an electric polisher? As the car looks in new codition this may be left as it is.

4)wax sealent? what where how?

5) Do you wash between courses or just wet with a hose

6) 2 bucket method jobby with a mit-can someone explain?

So I need to buy
wash
clay
polish
mit
drying cloths
electric ploisher
foam maker attachment to wash it with - where do you get these?

Can someone give me an indication of costs and makes - forget stuff like megga polish turbo wizzer £200

I just want to get the best results for my cash on my day to day car and you guys obviously know your stuff

Also
If you pay £100 etc for someone to do it, will they show you what its all about - explain etc

Thanks
Notebook
Newport Wales
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
CupraRcleanR
DW Poet Laureate

Welcome to the site.

A few answers to get you going.

Two bucket method. one for the shampoo and one for rinsing. Keeps the water cleaner for longer and if you have grit-guards it keeps these contaminents out of your mitt and off your car.

Sponge (unless Zym0l) are a no-no. I use a Z sponge and a lambs-wool mitt.

Claybar is a very good idea and the Bilt-Hamber is a good/cheap one to start with. Yes even on your 2 year old motor.

If you are polishing by hand Autoglym SRP (super resin polish) is a good product. Work it in and buff off with micorfibre cloths. No old rags or old underpants here!

Megs Scatch X will be good for the light scratches under the door handles.

Wax on top of the polish or a sealant. Wax is popular and Collinite 476 or 915 looks good and will last a long time on you motor.

The machine polishers are excellent but as you say your talking a few quid.

The Foam Lance is an attachment to your Pressure Washer. Few different ones around at about £50.

You could pay someone todo it and I'm sure they will explain everything. You could get very good results yourself I'm sure.

There are traders attched to the site, you find everthing there and "search" on here is your best friend for finding out info.

Not the most comprehensive answer but hopefully it gives you a start.

Last edited by CupraRcleanR; 13-04-2008 at 10:26 AM.
CupraRcleanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Notebook
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for the reply

The foam attachment jobby - are they all the same size, or do you have to buy one the same make as your washer? Mine is from B&Q a green one that is sort of their own make.
Also where is the best place to buy all the cleaning stuff
thanks
Old 13-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
CupraRcleanR
DW Poet Laureate

They have different attachments. If you post up again saying what PW you have and asked for a recommendation re a Foam Lance someone will help I'm sure
CupraRcleanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
spitfire
Distinguished Detailer

I don't normally do this but your question is so large it could take all morning to answer it. Most of your questions you can find answers to in the Forum home section as a starting point. Check out the guides section too for great information.

However to be going on with I'll answer a few questions,

Mark @ Autobrite sells the foam lances and can advise you on fitments.

Claying is good and has even cleaned brand new cars at the dealers.

There are many waxes and sealants. Take your pick from £15-2000

Don't buy a two handled £20 quid electric polisher from the like of Halfraud as they're cr4p.

The pros will be only to happy to explain the processes involved and you can stand and watch if you like. It'll probably cost a lot more than £100 for a full detail though.

TBM- two buckets, a shampoo bucket and a rinse bucket. Soak your mitt in the shampoo- wash car panel- into rinse bucket to clean mitt- into shampoo again- then back to car panel.
This is done to prevent as much dirt as possible from being moved across the surface of the paint. i.e.The main cause of swirling. HTH

Last edited by spitfire; 13-04-2008 at 10:54 AM.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Glossboss
PC Perfectionist

Unfortunately you are a bit too far away, or I wohappily have spent a day with you. As said there are many products to choose from. If it helps
you are welcome to give me a ring and I can run through the procedure with you, regardless of whcib brand of products youm opt for.
Glossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Glossboss
PC Perfectionist

Unfortunately you are a little too far away, or I would happily have spent a day with you. As said there are many products to choose from. You are welcome to give me a ring and I would be happy to discuss the procedure with you, regardless of which brand of product you choose.
Good luck.
Glossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
alanjo99
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

^^ Now that's Service ! ^^

Nice one steve
alanjo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Notebook
Sponge Jockey

The b&q washer I have a P logo on it and the word performance. I think they were B&Q's own brand possibly. I think it was performance power. I had a look in b&q today and there were lots of products had a scottish name like MacAllister - perhaps they have rebranded it all.

Anyway, I take it that the foam jobby screws onto a pipe that connects to the body? If so surely all i need to find out is the size of this thread?
Old 13-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
spitfire
Distinguished Detailer

I think it's usually a bayonet type fit which fits to the trigger/gun. Well it is on mine anyway.
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote