Detailing World Forum banner

Door dings

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  SaaB 
#1 ·
Over the years I have tried to not be obsessed where I park.
Today at the supermarket I decided to park next to a car which appeared to be a staff members Car as was in the corner near the side of the building.
Not long after I parked, a couple pulled up next to me, and saw me sitting their.
Passenger opened the door and banged mine.
Apologetic in a way, which makes it slightly easier although the driver said it wasn’t that loud, i said it was as i was sitting their. I couldn’t see any damage (or yet) but still annoyed. Only had Car a month and so far first time I’ve parked normally. Think I’ll go back too going elsewhere.
I’ve read about a company online that for £15 a month and £15 excess you can get the damage repaired, although it might be maximum of 3 repairs a year which I hope I wouldn’t need.
I know my insurance covers vandalism, and I know this was accident but still annoying particularly when I’m in the Car.

#3 ·
As above I wouldn’t bother with the £15 a month thing, that’s £180 a year plus £15 excess for every time you can claim. If you can only claim 3 times that’s £225 a year to fix door dings. Really not worth it.

Unfortunately these things happen, lots of careless people about and all you can do is try your best to keep away from potential damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
It doesn't matter where you park. Given enough time and miles you will get dents as too many people just don't care or notice. Just hope you don't get them as bad as some of mine. Whoever put that monster in the drivers door deserves an especially painful place in hell as it had to be deliberate.

The other side has loads, but they are less obvious unless you look at the deformation of the reflections. There's even a dent in my roof that we reckon came from a football at some point.

#5 ·
That's pretty bad.

I scuffed mine first day i had it, as I'm visually impaired and have to reverse into a Car port with a wall.

I was quoted £350 plus vat for the scuff in the Pic, hence looking into the smart repair insurance option. I appreciate a lot to pay over a year.

Car not looking bad for high mileage, I've spent a Month on it so far.

Yours looks like a SAAB.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
First brand new (70 plate) car I've ever had and about 3 months later I had my front passenger door dented (luckily repaired by the PDR method), I know exactly who did it but I've got no physical proof.

Now whenever I park anywhere I try to park so that I'm straddling the lines effectively taking up 2 spaces. I've had notes on my windscreen saying 'can't drive can't park' and once someone drew chalk lines all around my car on the ground and then wrote 'dickhead parking' on the ground at the back of my car :lol: But on the other hand I've had owners of other new cars come up to me and say what a great idea and they are going to start parking like that.

#14 ·
Now whenever I park anywhere I try to park so that I'm straddling the lines effectively taking up 2 spaces. I've had notes on my windscreen saying 'can't drive can't park' and once someone drew chalk lines all around my car on the ground and then wrote 'dickhead parking' on the ground at the back of my car :lol: But on the other hand I've had owners of other new cars come up to me and say what a great idea and they are going to start parking like that.

That is a great idea,I love the fact that the other driver thought it was such a good idea. I hope it catches on and everyone starts to do it. [emoji3]

You do realise by parking like that you're just making your car a target. I know someone who when they see a car parked like that they park beside them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Good idea !!!
Bloody selfish if you ask me, anyone doing that deserve all they get.
I know what I would do if I couldn't park due to some plank doing that and they wouldn't be happy on return.
How would you feel if you came back to your car and found someone had dented it and then driven off. If people can be so inconsiderate about damaging other peoples property then I can be inconsiderate in the way I park.

#16 ·
After 16 years with my car, I accept dings as inevitable.
I try to park so I'm furthest away in a corner even in an empty car park
BUT
I still get numpties that not only park next to me, but so close I know for definite they hit my door even.
Even with no damages on this occasion I was still fuming at the numptiness of the Audi driver[emoji1751]

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
This is an old Chestnut.
Parking is on my mind every time I go out, in any car. No we cannot always find the best place, but reduction of risk can be made.
A few I find help reduce the worry.
Park in a place in line before side by side. Reduces risk.
Park in those places that have many spaces, where most wont as they don't want to walk. Reduces risk.
Use the spots where two concrete pillars are each side, the spots people avoid. Reduces risk.
Many more, but it is common to see not many people want to walk far, so the nearer they are to save steps, the higher the risk. :thumb:

#20 ·
This is an old Chestnut.
Parking is on my mind every time I go out, in any car. No we cannot always find the best place, but reduction of risk can be made.
A few I find help reduce the worry.

Park in a place in line before side by side. Reduces risk.
Park in those places that have many spaces, where most wont as they don't want to walk. Reduces risk.
Use the spots where two concrete pillars are each side, the spots people avoid. Reduces risk.
Many more, but it is common to see not many people want to walk far, so the nearer they are to save steps, the higher the risk. :thumb:
Meant to add in my original post my normal parking would be an end space against the kerb.
If you go to the same places you get used to your favorite spot.
Mine used to be a space all on its own at the highest level of a multistorey, but then your not much safer if your the only one.
I am quite happy with a compromise, without going overboard.

I need to buy Paint touch up Pen, as i cant justify £350 for that scuff in the pic. £150 maybe.

#21 ·
I remember back in the late Seventies, wife had popped into supermarket while I waited in car. No cars either side. Car was a week-old Audi 80. Then a car parked on my right and the driver opened the door on to mine. Non-aggressive words were exchanged. Then, five minutes later, the same happened on the left-hand side. Aagh. Sorry to say, but both drivers were women in this case. This has happened quite a few times over the years, with drivers of both sexes, but PDR always comes to the rescue. My wife now has a disabled badge, so that makes it better for parking when she's with me. If not, I try to find the furthest parking space with no cars either side. But, of course, there's always the thicko who parks close to you. Ah well, that's life!

#22 ·
Oh I so hate this, I am one of those that will park a million miles away in the carpark, completely away from any car, not even close to any car, I find an end spot and park as close to the edge of it as possible. 9 times out of 10 when I return there is a car parked next to it, nowhere else but next to mine, but what infuriates me more is that the extra space I have left, just incase this happens by parking on the edge is that they then dont park in their space correctly and are right up against my car and not even centred in their own space, uhhhhhh!!! - Im going for a lie down now

#27 ·
This is one of my ultimate pet hates, i always park away from everyone as far as i can get away from wherever it is im visiting, and its like people see it as a challenge to park next to me.

I feel like sitting and waiting for the drivers to return and ask them why they specifically chose that spot.

But hey ho, just got to learn to live with the marks and eventual dings.

#29 ·
I park diagonally within the box, ideally next to a planter, Bollard, wall on driver’s side
It protects the drivers side more so I don’t see as many dents
But as a further benefit, it allows more width for the careless to open doors on my passenger side far wider before contact is made.

Also I will do 3 laps of the car park to avoid all cars with visible child seats.

My best other tip is that Waitrose seem to have wider bays and a far more expensive car is likely to be parked next to you, so the dearer shopping is part paid for by the fact that far less car repairs are required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.