Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
a6l3i
Sponge Jockey

"CYC/Kestrel DAS6-Pro" or "G220V2" or "Krauss DB-5800-S"?

Hi all,

After an exhausting full detaling my brand new black Nissan Teana (my avatar) with my arms and Meguiar's staffs last month, I'm going to buy a DA for next time

I'm in Germany but unfortunately dont know German, so can't follow German's reviews about these tools (just a little via google.translate )

by surfing in CYC and other forums, i wind up with these tools:

1- Kestrel/CYC DAS6 Pro (130 € including delivery)
2- Krauss DB-5800-S ( 133 € including delivery)
3- Meg's G220V2 (181 € including delivery)

Questions:
1- Dose the cruse control of G220V2 worth for 50 Euro? how were the feedback of users so far? I can afford M220V2 too, but just want to know which one is better?

2- from vibration viewpoint, how these three products are classified by users in reality?

2- Most Germans use Krauss as it's the German brand. Is there any differences between Krauss DB-5800S and CYC or Kestrel DAS6-Pro more than cable length and 50 watt motor power?

3- I want to go with CG Hex pads for my Meg's staffs (Ult. Compound, SwirlX, Ult. Polish, ColorX, A12 Cleaner/wax paste, M26 paste, Ult. Wax paste). there is no problem with Green or White 5.5" pads and liquid polish/waxes, but how should i apply paste waxes on Black Finishing pad 5.5"? should i go for 4" for waxing?

i appreciate your kind advices in advance
a6l3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
President Swirl
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,210 Posts
Hi mate, i have the das pro. Apart from the noise at the top speeds, it has been worth its weight in gold. I can't comment on the others, but i haven't regretted for a second getting the das pro. Touch wood so far it has been perfect. ( for me )
President Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to President Swirl For This Useful Post:
a6l3i (04-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
a6l3i
Sponge Jockey

Thx,
Did you ever have bugging problem of DAS-6 Pro with soft and ultra-soft pads that Dave has announced as follow in this post?? especially in low speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post

Cruise Control

One of the big aces up the G220's sleeve is the cruise control feature that aims to keep the pad rotating regardless of the pressure applied. This feature showed itself useful when testing a soft polishing pad from the DRC1000 range. The Kestral bogged down under little pressure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stYMaTK_0M

The Meguiars G220 V2 performed much better at both low and high speeds, maintaining the rotation of the pad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psw3HlMJIU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ZLGS1IyqU

Although, later in the set, the Meguiars machine also had issues keeping the pad rotating at the same pace - we see in the next video it was still allowing the pad to rotate but much slower, as if it was bogging down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATVpn9g_q_Y

So - the cruise control feature does certainly have an effect, and it for me ranks as an advantage over the DAS-6 Pro, and is perhaps the biggest ace up the sleeve of the Meguiars machine. It does have the downside of you are no longer able to use the pad rotation as a pressure gauge, as the machine keeps it turning but this is a minor issue and the advantages offered by it are greater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
If I had to choose one, I would probably for for the DAS-6 Pro but the soft pad issues would always be in the back of my mind... the videos demonstrate the reasons I never recommend soft finishing pads such as the 3M ones with a DA as they can bog down to a much greater extent than stiffer ones. The G220 Cruise Control helps to overcome this, but it is still not an ideal situation.

Last edited by a6l3i; 05-03-2012 at 10:48 AM.
a6l3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
President Swirl
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,210 Posts
I tend not to add so much pressure as to get ''bogging down'' issues. Most of the time the weight of the machine will suffice.
President Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to President Swirl For This Useful Post:
a6l3i (05-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
scoutfai
Unwashed Member

a6l3i,
May I know at the end of the day which machine has you chosen?
And the reason behind.
scoutfai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugging, das6 pro, g220 v2, vibration