Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #1
TGi
Washmitt Meister

B5.5 passat rear brake question

Hi all,

Was looking at the back brakes on my Passat and noticed they were not looking there best, plenty of meat on the pads told me something was wrong. Turns out whoever fitted pads in the past never fitted the little slider clips, I have ordered a set from GSF but looking at the order there are only 4 clips.
My question is should these only be on the wheel side of the carrier or should I have ordered 2 sets to cover the piston side also?
TGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi,

Er....pass. Mine's a B6 with the Electronic Park Brake.

If no one comes up with the answer try asking here:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/

There's some serious expertise on there. One of the mods (aka "Crasher" ) has 34K posts and runs this place in Nottingham. He'll know:

https://www.candrenterprises.co.uk/

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
TGi (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Sh1ner

You should be ok with 4 clips. They fit from one side to the other, top and bottom, two clips per caliper.
I take it you are talking about the stainless anti rattle shims that fit on the pad posts to retain the pads.
Are your slider pins nice and free?
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh1ner For This Useful Post:
TGi (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Andy from Sandy

I have built a machine that uses Audi brake calipers. The brackets that hold the caliper doesn't require anti squeal clips or slider clips and the pads move freely.

Are the calipers free to slide on their pins?
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
TGi (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
TGi
Washmitt Meister

Yeah it’s missing the stainless clips, bit of history in my ownership a wheel broke off from the rear beam and it was fitted with a replacement beam presumably from a breakers.
The sliding pins seemed fine when I took off the caliper just the pads seemed stuck in place. I removed and cleaned the carrier with a wire brush which helped a little the pad seems now to be making contact with the disc but only slightly. Only realized I after I never checked the inside of the disc for its condition.
Going to pull it all apart during next week just want to make sure I have all the kit first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Sh1ner

You will need to clean the carrier surfaces properly and carefully scrape/chip away any build up. The surface is an accurately machined finish not cast.
When properly clean they should be absolutely flat and smooth. When cleaned with a brush it is rare that is the case and the shims then make everything too tight.
If the brake is not working correctly check the handbrake lever, on the caliper, is against its stop with the handbrake fully off and that the piston is free within the caliper. You may need someone to pump the piston out 13mm or so, so that it can be wound back in a couple of times and its operation checked. Don't pump it too far out though.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh1ner For This Useful Post:
TGi (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
TGi
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
You will need to clean the carrier surfaces properly and carefully scrape/chip away any build up. The surface is an accurately machined finish not cast.
When properly clean they should be absolutely flat and smooth. When cleaned with a brush it is rare that is the case and the shims then make everything too tight.
If the brake is not working correctly check the handbrake lever, on the caliper, is against its stop with the handbrake fully off and that the piston is free within the caliper. You may need someone to pump the piston out 13mm or so, so that it can be wound back in a couple of times and its operation checked. Don't pump it too far out though.
The wire brush was more so to help troubleshoot the issue, too many times in the past I have loaded the parts cannon and missed the target so money being tight want to make sure I buy once and buy right.
Handbrake works alright will hold the car on a hill (left in gear) might not be the best for handbrake turns at maccy d's ,just was tight on time and never thought of checking the inner side of the disc just felt for a lip and reassembled. Well, truth be told think my mind was elsewhere only looking at someone changing rear discs another day and noticed the shims and realised mine didn't have them.
I will heed the advice on cleaning thoroughly though I will also check the other items too just to be sure all is as expected
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Darlofan

Thanked 1,091 Times in 708 Posts
Garage
These sound similar to shims on my Insignia. I removed them after going through pads in 6weeks. I wire brushed everything but pads seemed so tight with shims in so I left them out. Not had any issues so far, that was this time last year.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote