Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #31
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatty599 View Post
More so the houses are highly likely to be built buy a private company and then will assign some to social house ( if they even bother, because it makes zero money ).

Solar panels are generally considered an eye sore, are very expensive and requires additional reinforcement to the roof structure as they are very heavy!

Really comes down to will people pay an extra £10k-£15k for something they don't like, and will take around 15 years to pay for the amount it cost to put in.
But isn't the point that HM Govt "appear" to want to push non carbon electricity production so they can meet their own self imposed targets. Either we have enough power to supply the demand, or we don't. And if we don't where are we going to get the power from?

It's a policy objective so the extra "cost" is irrelevant to them. After all the Govt would never make private businesses bear the cost of whatever the latest flavour of the month happens to be - would they

But unless I'm missing something it just doesn't look like joined up thinking/action.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #32
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,113 Posts
Garage
You know I love the fact that nearly all comments referring to anyone who buys owns or wants to buy an EV is because “we” want to save the planet! It. Couldn’t be further from the truth for me. I owned a Range Rover sport previously I enjoyed it, it got noticed and was fun, but to keep it on the road was costing a fortune. So I looked at new cars I done my research looked at budgets and after a few months the Nissan Leaf filled all the criteria I was looking at. Nearly a year on ive done 11,500 miles and how much as it cost me £7.50 is all I’ve paid for electricity! Yes I got the car on pcp, however I fully intend to keep it and buy it out right, I used a large deposit ( sale of the rrs) andpay about £300 in payments ( I was spending over £400 in diesel alone) so I’m quids in and that’s what I care about.

Last edited by DLGWRX02; 06-07-2019 at 08:08 AM.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (06-07-2019), Cookies (06-07-2019), NeilG40 (06-07-2019), possul (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #33
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 11,985 Times in 6,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatty599 View Post
More so the houses are highly likely to be built buy a private company and then will assign some to social house ( if they even bother, because it makes zero money ).

Solar panels are generally considered an eye sore, are very expensive and requires additional reinforcement to the roof structure as they are very heavy!

Really comes down to will people pay an extra £10k-£15k for something they don't like, and will take around 15 years to pay for the amount it cost to put in.
think you may be be stuck in a time warp, or just know very little about the subject matter...

solar panels are as cheap as £75 these days... they only weight around 20kg and can be secured with simple rails and screws and need no reinforcement to a normal roof.

a full decent kit could cost as little as £2500.

AndyN01 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #34
Rayaan

Thanked 1,144 Times in 884 Posts
There are probably a long list of reasons that sales are dropping:

1) Removal of the grant
2) £40K+ luxury tax - makes no sense to me buying an EV/plug in anymore aside from fuel savings compared to a V6 or above
3) VED - plug ins have to pay £140 after the first year even though they have low emissions
4) cost more than the petrol/diesel equivalent without actually getting much better economy in the real term if doing decent distances.

Those are just a few in my mind anyway.

Before 2017 the VED was based on emissions. Now it appears to be based more on the value of a vehicle taking up a road. So in theory, it could be argued they don't care about emissions any longer. In that case why not just tax vehicles based on their size rather than their value? Or if emissions are an issue - maybe tax older cars more than newer ones?

Last edited by Rayaan; 06-07-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #35
Andy from Sandy

If only it were as simple as the money collected from the motorist went on the road network the tax could be based on the wear the car causes to the roads and that could be as simple as using the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #36
beatty599
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
But isn't the point that HM Govt "appear" to want to push non carbon electricity production so they can meet their own self imposed targets. Either we have enough power to supply the demand, or we don't. And if we don't where are we going to get the power from?

It's a policy objective so the extra "cost" is irrelevant to them. After all the Govt would never make private businesses bear the cost of whatever the latest flavour of the month happens to be - would they

But unless I'm missing something it just doesn't look like joined up thinking/action.

Andy.
Personally I think electric cars need to be developed now! It'll take 20-30 years to get the batteries in cars to charge quickly and last longer. Probably better to do it now and have the technology ready for the market.

But having worked in the solar sector, I can tell you it's a bit of a waste of time for the UK to bother with solar energy. At least for Scotland and Northern Ireland it is, we can generate more power from wave and wind power vs solar, whilst making use of previously unused space!

Or nuclear for a quick solution...
beatty599 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beatty599 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #37
beatty599
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cueball View Post
think you may be be stuck in a time warp, or just know very little about the subject matter...

solar panels are as cheap as £75 these days... they only weight around 20kg and can be secured with simple rails and screws and need no reinforcement to a normal roof.

a full decent kit could cost as little as £2500.

I can understand where you're coming from but those solar panels aren't just as efficient as the proper 'bad boys' to make it worth your time! I work in the industry and even ones being placed out in fields, have a more comprehensive frame than the simple timber rafters of a house.

Personally I'd never bother with them, I'd rather a solar heating system they work a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
If only it were as simple as the money collected from the motorist went on the road network the tax could be based on the wear the car causes to the roads and that could be as simple as using the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).
Allegedly from 2020-25 all VED will go on the roads to help boost the ailing infrastructure, but I doubt it will actually happen.
beatty599 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beatty599 For This Useful Post:
The Cueball (07-07-2019)