Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #21
Cuffy
Washmitt Meister

Thanks for sharing your experiences

I have a swirly, dull moonlight blue A5 sportback and I'm deciding between a coating or a wax after correction. Its a daily driver doing 16-17k a year on a combination of A and B roads so after reading your experiences i'll think i'll opt for a decent quality wax.
Cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
darrant1234
Sponge Jockey

My dealings with ceramic have been great. I've applied Gyeon mohs and Gyeon mohs synchro now and while agreed they don't stop scratches they do repel dirt to the point where its easier to clean but it won't stop your car getting dirty. I've found it slows it down getting dirty but doesn't stop it. Cleaning a car with a coating still requires care and being careful but i do find it easier to do and with using my water filter i can leave it wet after and don't get water spots. any water coming straight from a hose will leave water spots though, rain water is much better.

I do agree on the scratches though, if you get any they need polishing which will remove the coating. I've picked up some slight ones on my wing which im waiting to polish till im ready to coat again. I had gyeon mohs on our evoque for 2 years which i removed to recoat and polish, still beaded well after 2 years.
darrant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #23
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

What's the deal with using rainwater then? Do people filter it somehow? Just seems like it'd be fairly dirty, especially as it's generally collected from guttering, which is usually pretty mucky inside.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
MBRuss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Citromark (07-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
Kristian87
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHill View Post
As I've said before on posts about disappointing ceramic coating experiences, I would NOT touch them with a barge pole on a daily driver. If its a garage queen that only gets used at the weekend or on a dry day then yes, maybe so, but not for a vast majority of cars that spend most of there time exposed to the elements.
Important point here IMO. Great review btw @tmitch45

I've always been put off by a CC because it feels a little to "permanent" and doesn't really suit the abuse that a daily receives. It will surely make life easier, but for a car that needs fairly regular maintenance washes, the benefits will be minimal in my mind. My other thought is that CC and sealants/waxes don't necessarily play well together, so if you go the CC route, you are "stuck" with it to a certain extent. Sealants & waxes offer more flexibility I think, which suits my washing routine.

If I had a garaged toy and could afford it, I think this is where CC comes in to its own. Washes would be infrequent and dealing with dirt on a minimal level, this is where the long term protection benefits will really pay off.

Not quite as black & white as that I know, but that's my 2 pence.

Of course a big factor is how the maintenance washes are done. We can all have a struggle occasionally, especially if we can't do a wash in ideal conditions.

Often tempted by a ceramic, but for now I'll be sticking my my sealant & wax combo
Kristian87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #25
Commander2874
Washmitt Meister

Good writeup and i totally get what you are saying. I had mine done 2 years ago following a full decon and 2 stage polish and i too expected miracles but found out very quickly that it's all about how often you keep your car clean.

I have always washed mine every 2 weeks and used products like Carpro Reload, elixir, bathe + and my car remains in top condition. I only do 7k miles a year so the paintwork doesn't suffer much abuse.

Would i get it coated again when it finally expires? No i prob won't and will go back to using a wax. This is by no means a criticism of ceramic coatings but seeing how regularly mine is maintained, a wax and regular qd's keeps the car clean and sufficiently protected.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Commander2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #26
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPassat View Post
Good post Mitch, I’m sure many have great success with ceramic coatings but maybe this will make people think twice about having one.
my goal was not to slag off the coatings of the guy who did it. Its more that I'm urging people to fully understand what they are getting into and can expect.
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tmitch45 For This Useful Post:
andy__d (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #27
andy__d
Orbital Oracle

isnt that the "bit" , managing what it Really does V the claims/hype/omg look things

Swirls Will happen, end of story
if something scratches the paintwork, that is what it does, wax or CC arent going to stop that happening
Dirt IS going to stick, it may/maynot be easier to remove depending on the wax OR the CC.

marketing V real world ,, Youtube V real world

sure hurling a bucket of dirty water at a perfectly clean car will show Most of it sheeting off with a wax Or a CC,, drive for a while in the rain/dirty road conditions,

i think there is a Place for both wax And CC , depending on what You want and realistically expect from them
otherwise PPF the car and replace the PPF when that takes the beating your paintwork would have
andy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #28
Roller
Unwashed Member

Garage
I had a brand new M140i detailed and coated with G-Tecniq CS Black, applied by a professional detailer - he is not on here as far as I know, but is in St Helens.

I have to be honest, it was absolutely amazing, 18 months down the line the beading was still as good as the day it was done, wheels jand callipers just jetted off and the rain would blow off the car at anything above 40.

Yes, there are some negatives, for example repairs etc, but in that time the car did 10/11k and there was only one tiny stone chip on the passenger mirror. The only thing for me initially was the cost, but the car always looked concours ready.
Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #29
beatty599
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian87 View Post
Important point here IMO. Great review btw @tmitch45

I've always been put off by a CC because it feels a little to "permanent" and doesn't really suit the abuse that a daily receives. It will surely make life easier, but for a car that needs fairly regular maintenance washes, the benefits will be minimal in my mind. My other thought is that CC and sealants/waxes don't necessarily play well together, so if you go the CC route, you are "stuck" with it to a certain extent. Sealants & waxes offer more flexibility I think, which suits my washing routine.

If I had a garaged toy and could afford it, I think this is where CC comes in to its own. Washes would be infrequent and dealing with dirt on a minimal level, this is where the long term protection benefits will really pay off.

Not quite as black & white as that I know, but that's my 2 pence.

Of course a big factor is how the maintenance washes are done. We can all have a struggle occasionally, especially if we can't do a wash in ideal conditions.

Often tempted by a ceramic, but for now I'll be sticking my my sealant & wax combo
I'm the complete opposite of you! I'd rather wax my garage queen and ceramic coat my daily.

In my mind there's no right or wrong way to CC, sealant or wax. There's a member on here that waxes his cc'd car, because he enjoys it!
beatty599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #30
Gas head
Washmitt Meister

Fortunately I've not experienced the water spotting mentioned, can't even remember having the issue with C1 on a metallic black 4x4 over 10 years ago, I am aware vinegar or acid based specific maintenance product can get water spots off, so can only assume maybe some formulations are more prone than others, or maybe you live in an area with different pollution/levels?

What I will say is that when I sold the vehicle and when I gave it the final clean/polish before p/ex I think I could tell it had it done when new the car came up like new, and I didn't worry too much if a bird had a poo on it until its clean at the w/end, was it easier to clean??? did it scratch less??? who knows, overall I would say it worked for me
Gas head is offline   Reply With Quote