Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
baxlin
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Rust question..

I thought I’d posted this yesterday, but now I can’t find it (senior moments?) so forgive me if it’s a repost.

Flaky rust inside the fuel tank of a Yamaha bike I’m recommissioning. Assuming I can get all the loose stuff out, is there any product or process to 'seal' the inside of the tank so I can reuse it?

I can’t find another tank in the same colour scheme, and there’d be no g'tee it wouldn’t be rusty inside anyway!

Thanks
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
mar00
Washmitt Meister

it would depend how bad it is, if just lite rust put some shot in the tank and shake it (better if you can wrap it up and sneak it in the tumble drier) to get all the lose stuff out then flush out will be ok as is, if it's bad then as long as tanks not compromised there are various coatings https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorc...epair-kit.html

Last edited by mar00; 12-07-2019 at 08:00 AM.
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mar00 For This Useful Post:
baxlin (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Interesting problem.

I guess the issues are getting whatever into the tank and, importantly, any excess out again and then will it stand up to petrol?

I don't know but I'd give these folks a call - I'd imagine they do

Bilt Hamber: 01277 658899

https://www.bilthamber.com/contact-us

and/or

Aquasteel: 01684 290077

https://aquasteel.co.uk/contact-deta...for-quotation/

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 12-07-2019 at 04:39 PM.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
baxlin (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

This can work well but you have to be sensible about your judgement of the true state of the tank. If it is that rusty inside, it is quite possibly very thin in places, lower seams and anywhere water or water vapour can collect. It can become like a pepper pot once the crud is removed.
Filling a paper thin tank with sealer is asking for trouble.
If the tank is knackered it is knackered. Don't risk it.
https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorc...epair-kit.html

Once descaled you can insert a camera into the tank and properly check all the seams and surfaces etc. This is obviously not possible until the tank is spotless inside.

Alternatively, if you do not want to purchase the kit, you can use vitamin c powder (ascorbic acid) which can be purchased in packets. Mixed with very hot water and kept hot whilst it works, it will remove any corrosion in the tank and reveal what is left of any bright shiny metal so you can make an assessment. It works much better/faster the hotter you can keep it. It can also be filtered, saved and reused. I store it in a large plastic drum.
I keep meaning to make a tank that I can use to put a tank filled with ascorbic in and then fill the main tank with water and keep hot over a camping stove. One day!
Keep moving, shaking and checking the inside every so often because once the rust/scale is gone it will start to turn the metal black making it difficult to see.
When you do it you will see what I mean. It is a hands on process and you will need to keep on top of it but it does work incredibly well and will remove every trace of corrosion.
You could also use electrolysis. A large bucket and a battery charger and do it that way. A quick search should reveal all.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 12-07-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh1ner For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (12-07-2019)