Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 11-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #31
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe25 View Post
If you can provide factual data comparing a £100+ wax to a £50 or less wax to prove it is superior im all ears.
Otherwise you're disagreeing for the sake of it, with no evidence to support your view
Actually I'm not 'disagreeing' with any of it. No, I can't provide factual evidence, only my personal opinion and experience. I haven't actually tried an extensive list of waxes but I have tried waxes at different price points- my personal experience of waxes costing £50, £110, £285 have all proved positive as I moved up the price scale. My go to wax for the past 5 years has been the higher price wax because it ticks every box for my requirements and it doesn't work out expensive per application because it applies both thinly and with extreme ease. My personal conundrum is would I feel justified in laying out a higher price again?
If you are interested in facts then the nearest you will get is to ask the opinion of someone who has probably tried every wax going - Wilco. But ultimately everyone sets their own level of expectation against outlay, that said just because someone can't appreciate the difference doesn't mean the benefit isn't there - think about wine in all its guises (white/red/sparkling). If you can't see the value in anything over £50 then think yourself extremely lucky because you will save yourself a lot of money and remain satisfied

Just realised, as it's a car forum, let's turn the discussion on its head - Why buy an expensive German car when you can buy a car for less than £10K?

Last edited by suds; 11-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suds For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #32
pt1
Orbital Oracle

I think it depends on how much money you have, buying a wax is like buy a watch, a cheap one does pretty much what the expensive one does.i do think cheaper waxes have caught up to the high end ones now, there isn't to much difference. As mentioned on here, glasur is highly regarded,its a high end brand, it is special feeling, in application, removal and appearance with great water behavior. personally i dont think you need to buy anything anymore expensive than that.i think circumstance plays a big part too. I used to buy waxes all the time and enjoyed 5 hour details but now with a growing family i am lucky to get 1hr so i generally have the car coated with fusso/sealant and top up with bead maker/bsd etc. products like bead maker or bsd are so fast n easy to use, bead maker especially can make the car look as good as high end waxes....not as good as glasur though

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #33
Alfieharley1

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,047 Posts
This is a great thread. Yes it is ones opinion but pete is a top class detailer who actually got me to join DW

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...d.php?t=336636

For me. I enjoy a lot of obsession wax. right product and a lot of expertise gone in. I think however it is time to return to swissvax but going to try a budget fusso
Alfieharley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #34
dave-g

I've got a few expensive-ish waxes left, and have used waxes from £10 up to a couple of £000. It's all to do with user use and enjoyment. Love my bouncers billet, easily my fav wax ticks all boxes, but best wax I've used is auto finesse passion. Don't know why, just was ease of everything and looked great.

Up to the user, I'll never change from wax, coatings for me suck the hobby side out of it.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave-g For This Useful Post:
WHIZZER (16-07-2019)
Old 14-07-2019, 03:41 AM   #35
rlmccarty2000
Washmitt Meister

Garage
My waxes get very little use anymore. I still breakout some FK1000p or Collinite 476 when I want something durable and quick, but coatings and coating toppers have pushed most of my waxes to the back of my closet. Not all coatings look the same. Polish Angel has some coatings that mimic wax and the new graphene coating has a wax glow instead of a sterile shine. Topping coatings has replaced waxing for me. I think I have 16 toppers now. An obsession is an obsession.
rlmccarty2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #36
Coupe25
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Just realised, as it's a car forum, let's turn the discussion on its head - Why buy an expensive German car when you can buy a car for less than £10K?
Because the German car will have objectively better quality components, better paint finish, better materials in the cabin, more electronics for safer driving and/or convenience, better looking, quieter cabin, the list goes on and on.
With waxes though, up to a point, if someone drove your car away, chose from a selection of 10 waxes ranging from around £15 to £1000, then returned it the next day, you wouldn't be able to tell which one he used.
A 50/50 panel under lighting bright enough to burn your retinas maybe, but in the real world, no.
Coupe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coupe25 For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (16-07-2019), ZTChris (17-07-2019)
Old 16-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #37
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

Better paint finish???^^^^^ Hmmmmm!!!!!!
big dave 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #38
pt1
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave 666 View Post
Better paint finish???^^^^^ Hmmmmm!!!!!!
The mrs golf left the factory with awful paint

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #39
macca666

Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,254 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Because the German car will have objectively better quality components, better paint finish, better materials in the cabin, more electronics for safer driving and/or convenience, better looking, quieter cabin, the list goes on and on.
With waxes though, up to a point, if someone drove your car away, chose from a selection of 10 waxes ranging from around £15 to £1000, then returned it the next day, you wouldn't be able to tell which one he used.
A 50/50 panel under lighting bright enough to burn your retinas maybe, but in the real world, no.
Worst car and most expensive for upkeep in my almost 30 years of driving due to faults, poor workmanship was a 5 series Beemer which i bought from new and got rid of after 7 years ownership.

A lot of your points are down to personal opinion rather than based on fact which brings us back to the original question and whats good for one person may not be good for another.

I'm with others in that you buy what you can afford and what makes you happy....whether that's in waxes or cars
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #40
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,596 Times in 2,358 Posts
Quote:

I own a german car and some of what you are saying is true... better paint though? No chance! Better looking? Again very debatable but imo the Italians do the best paint and the nicest looking motors. Had I been able to afford it the A45 wouldn't have got a look in over a Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote