Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 20-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
ClenDrive
Sponge Jockey

How to protect paint with no clear coat

I need help guys i have corrected over half of the paint on my new car which has had a full colour change from black to white by the previous owner.

I have done a full 3 stage correction and finished it with some fkp1000 wax and it shines beautifully for around a day or 2, but it then starts to look flat again with no real gloss to the paint. And a week later it is filthy and has water Mark's all over it.

I guessing the car has been resprayed with no clear coat as my pads where turning white when compounding.

Is there something I have done wrong or some different products out there that will help me out? Feels like I have wasted my time with all the correction work!

Any help or thoughts appreciated!!
ClenDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

If your pads are turning white, they've either repainted it with single stage paint, or like you say haven't applied clear coat. If the latter is the case then you'll obviously need to to get clear coat applied.....but who paints acar without applying clear coat??????
big dave 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave 666 View Post
If your pads are turning white, they've either repainted it with single stage paint, or like you say haven't applied clear coat. If the latter is the case then you'll obviously need to to get clear coat applied.....but who paints acar without applying clear coat??????
I've painted lots. There are many different paints and not everything is lacquered. Many repair paints are single stage even though the factory finish was clear coated. As an example most VWs are clear coated but the repair paints are often available in single stage. It keeps the cost down.
2k paints are often single stage and as hard as nails without lacquer, can still glitter when polished but will show colour bleed on the polishing pad.
Perhaps they painted it in cellulose?
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
ClenDrive
Sponge Jockey

Not sure what paint it is. Any ideas why my shine is not staying it even feels like it hasn't been polished after a few days. This is my weekend car may I point out so is only used a couple of days a month. It's not like it is picking up road grime.
Old 20-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
Sh1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClenDrive View Post
Not sure what paint it is. Any ideas why my shine is not staying it even feels like it hasn't been polished after a few days. This is my weekend car may I point out so is only used a couple of days a month. It's not like it is picking up road grime.
I'm sorry no. over the years I have seen vehicles that have only been polished and not protected, go off quickly and become rough and lose shine and I have seen the odd comment about FK1000p but have had no issues personally. Can you try your FK1000p on another vehicle?
It may be worth re-prepping a couple of panels and trying a couple of coats of a different wax/sealant like Supernatural Hybrid on those to see if it is any better/different. I only mention SNH because I have found it very consistent over many years and expect six to nine months without issue.
It occurs to me to ask did you give the paint a really good going over because it is possible overdo it and polish/compound away the top layer of paint where all the shiny skin/hardness is and leave the soft under layer which will remain soft and can cause problems.
That said I would expect FK1000p to last a bit longer perhaps you have a bad batch?
Can you ask the previous owner what paint was used?
Old 20-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
ClenDrive
Sponge Jockey

Yes I did take the paint back a fair way with some heavy cutting compound. Could this of caused some damage? How would I know if I have gone too far?

As for the FK1000p i have used for years on all my vehicles with great results but i will certainly give SNH a try and see if I get any better results!

No the car was painted a couple of owners back so don't have any contact details!
Old 21-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Sh1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClenDrive View Post
Yes I did take the paint back a fair way with some heavy cutting compound. Could this of caused some damage? How would I know if I have gone too far?

As for the FK1000p i have used for years on all my vehicles with great results but i will certainly give SNH a try and see if I get any better results!

No the car was painted a couple of owners back so don't have any contact details!
You cannot always tell, even when it is too late. Different paints and types of paint are also variable but the hard surface layer is only so thick and once removed has gone. Light polishing is not too bad but compounding exposes fresh paint. The surface can be soft and it can take a while for it to harden again if it ever does.
I don't know the reason for using the heavy compound? If you were getting rid of orange peel it is worth considering flatting with wet and dry first then polishing, rather than compounding because it removes less paint.
I would try your Fk1000p on another vehicle first to see what result you get before spending on something else.
Not that you used it on your vehicle but as an example, I really like AG SRP it looks great and I use loads of it but I find, unless it is given extra protection it fails as a finish very quickly, in the way you have described but properly protected lasts well, so I do wonder if your FK1000p is at fault because it is unlikely that the entire surface of the car has been damaged during polishing.
What did the car look like when you purchased it?
You never know perhaps the wrong thinner was used or poor quality paint. Things often look ok when first painted but unfortunately not so good down the line once the solvents have gone and it has fully dried.

Tags
clear coat, dull paint, protection, shine, wax