Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 18-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Cookeh
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Not related to the headliner query, but if the car was smoked in for many years you may find you will have to remove trim pieces (a, b, c etc pillars, boot trim, centre console and so on) to clean behind those. My 850 had only been smoked in for 2 years but ai could not get rid of the smell until I gutted the entire interior. The backsides of the trim pieces were covered in smoke residue.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookeh For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2019)
Old 18-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
NorthantsPete
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Guys

The reason I advised against using an APC is because it contains surfactants that are there to encapsulate dirt particles. These surfactants need to be thoroughly rinsed out of the upholstery, otherwise they remain and can actually attract dirt quite quickly, which if you think about it, is what they're designed to do. So the upholstery will look clean, but will fairly quickly get dirty again.

Try washing your hands with an APC, and you'll see what I mean. It takes quite a bit of rinsing to remove the residue from your skin. On plastics etc, it's grand, but upholstery is another matter. That's purely the reason I always use a dedicated upholstery cleaner.

I'm not dictating, just politely advising. Lol.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah, Meguiars suggest soaking and then using an extractor to wet/clean/ remove the desposits on carpets etc.

For me, in my world, heavy spray and removal using cloth works, anything left behind is still killing odour hours later, so whatever works for you.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthantsPete For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2019)
Old 18-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Is the head lining actualy dirty or are you just trying to remove a smell as I would only be considering wet vac if more than 50% of the liner was soiled badly, I usually just spot clean them,

If your just trying to remove the smell then ozone treatment may be the safest option

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
Kenan
Orbital Oracle

Cleaned the headliner with the microfibres, wet backed the seats and not had chance to do the carpet yet. Car is currently drying in the sun, then tonight when the kids are in bed I'll fit the new pollen filter and do the Aircon refresh then take her for a drive. Funny thing is she smells loads better after me removing the two old airfreshners that were in the car?!?

Also got to change the cam follower and only an hour of daylight so wish me luck . .

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Kenan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenan For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2019)
Old 18-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #15
Cookeh
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Do the aircon bomb before you change the filter. Better still, remove the old one, do the bomb, and then install the new one.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
Kenan
Orbital Oracle

Bomb is running now and I'm stood outside the car in the dark looking mad as always . . . New filter ready to go in.

On the plus side the existing can follower was good

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Kenan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenan For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2019)
Old 18-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
James_R

Thanked 1,147 Times in 906 Posts
My 170,000 miles CRV's light grey headliner was filthy around the drivers side and around the sunroof.

I used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD diluted 1:10 in a Megs trigger bottle, with the head set to foam.
A few squirts in a brand new microfibre towel and applied in small sections and rubbed gently.
It pulled all the dirt out very very easily and I blotted up any moisture with a different fresh dry MF towel.

Cant believe the results, the headlining looks like new, and no sagging or anything.
Its been a few weeks since I did it and even though using APC, its not attracting any further dirt.
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_R For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-09-2019)
Old 19-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
My 170,000 miles CRV's light grey headliner was filthy around the drivers side and around the sunroof.

I used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD diluted 1:10 in a Megs trigger bottle, with the head set to foam.
A few squirts in a brand new microfibre towel and applied in small sections and rubbed gently.
It pulled all the dirt out very very easily and I blotted up any moisture with a different fresh dry MF towel.

Cant believe the results, the headlining looks like new, and no sagging or anything.
Its been a few weeks since I did it and even though using APC, its not attracting any further dirt.
This is exactly what i do but with Wilkos carpet and upholstery cleaner, it contains optical brighteners so is better suited to fabric than something like Surfex I use a small leather brush with natural bristles to agitate then blot up with a WHITE MF to ensure no dye transfer
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
James_R (19-09-2019)