Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 24-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

My wife bought a convertible a couple of years ago (a BMW MINI so a fabric roof), that was originally protected with AutoGlym products which didn't repel water much at all, however this could have been down to poor application by the previous owner (who I think just used it prior to the sale of the car).

Then last year I went with Gtechniq I1, 500ml of it at £13.33, and used to whole of it on the roof (it was cleaned 24 hours earlier so that it fully dried, and the I1 had at least 24 hours before any rain). It was definitely better than the AutoGlym protection, taking the above comment into account, however not mind blowingly impressive but maybe this was due to only having 500ml and not being able to totally soak the fabric roof.

This weekend, prior to the inbound torrential rain that's now hit us, I went with 1L of Fabsil Gold at £12.99 from Amazon (1L of I1 is currently £33.40 on Gtecniq's website!). It was applied the same way as above, and I think that the fabric may look a little darker than it did with I1 (it's a denim blue roof), also having 1L of it allowed me to really soak the roof with it and apply a second coat as soon as the first was applied to make sure I covered all areas and the fabric had more than just a surface coating.

Of course this is not a subjective review, and by having more of the Fabsil Gold I could conduct a better application, however if the Fabsil Gold lasts as long as the I1 then at less than half the price it's an obvious winner.

Edit: Also with the Fabsil Gold I had around 250ml left over after the thorough application.
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
NorthantsPete
PC Perfectionist

OP, autoglym doesnt work that's why - think of the soft tops and their value, they wouldnt have balls to create something that works ie. chemical cleaning, when a roof could costs thousands, tens of on a ferrari.
So, as above, get some APC, get mechanical cleaning underway aswell, a brush, scrub.
Then apply something - some user polywaxes others use hood stuff, i threw my autoglym stuff and got some meguiars protector. I may try a polymer, i used to use armorall on the MR2 and worked fine.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,031 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
My wife bought a convertible a couple of years ago (a BMW MINI so a fabric roof), that was originally protected with AutoGlym products which didn't repel water much at all, however this could have been down to poor application by the previous owner (who I think just used it prior to the sale of the car).

Then last year I went with Gtechniq I1, 500ml of it at £13.33, and used to whole of it on the roof (it was cleaned 24 hours earlier so that it fully dried, and the I1 had at least 24 hours before any rain). It was definitely better than the AutoGlym protection, taking the above comment into account, however not mind blowingly impressive but maybe this was due to only having 500ml and not being able to totally soak the fabric roof.

This weekend, prior to the inbound torrential rain that's now hit us, I went with 1L of Fabsil Gold at £12.99 from Amazon (1L of I1 is currently £33.40 on Gtecniq's website!). It was applied the same way as above, and I think that the fabric may look a little darker than it did with I1 (it's a denim blue roof), also having 1L of it allowed me to really soak the roof with it and apply a second coat as soon as the first was applied to make sure I covered all areas and the fabric had more than just a surface coating.

Of course this is not a subjective review, and by having more of the Fabsil Gold I could conduct a better application, however if the Fabsil Gold lasts as long as the I1 then at less than half the price it's an obvious winner.

Edit: Also with the Fabsil Gold I had around 250ml left over after the thorough application.
Fabsil Gold will outlast any other soft top protection period
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote