Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 18-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

Fluoro Silicon/SiO2 Spray?

I'm a big fan of CarPro Reload, it's so easy to use and versatile, however I think the hydrophobicity could potentially be improved.

From what little I know a fluoro silicon has far greater water repelancy (but less longevity), however I'm not aware of any 100% known water based fluoro silicon sprays so I'm wondering if anyone here is?

Gyeon seem to be very cagey about their products, I can't find any MSDS's for their products anywhere, however I've got a feeling that Wet Coat contains predominantly a fluoro silicon as the water beading is a big selling point. I'm wondering if a shot of Gyeon Wet Coat Essence could be added to CarPro Reload, both of which are miscible in water, creating a silicon spray with very good gloss and hydrophobicity? (admittedly a very expensive spray, but easier to use at home than a coating).
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
I'm a big fan of CarPro Reload, it's so easy to use and versatile, however I think the hydrophobicity could potentially be improved.

From what little I know a fluoro silicon has far greater water repelancy (but less longevity), however I'm not aware of any 100% known water based fluoro silicon sprays so I'm wondering if anyone here is?

Gyeon seem to be very cagey about their products, I can't find any MSDS's for their products anywhere, however I've got a feeling that Wet Coat contains predominantly a fluoro silicon as the water beading is a big selling point. I'm wondering if a shot of Gyeon Wet Coat Essence could be added to CarPro Reload, both of which are miscible in water, creating a silicon spray with very good gloss and hydrophobicity? (admittedly a very expensive spray, but easier to use at home than a coating).
Im wondering to now, if you do mix this then please post the updates
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,176 Posts
Garage
To help mixing and compatibility there is Carpro hydr02 concentrate rather than Gyeon essence with the Reload?

I do love reload and it’s initial performance, but I’ve never got it to last anywhere near it’s claimed durability. Giving it a little boost would be fantastic. I’ve plenty of reload and a little hydr02 left so might give it a try
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

Yellow Dave,

With Reload I've not had the claimed durability either, but it's so easy to use and the gloss is great so overall I'm very happy with it (plus I like how it can be simply added to any water based QD or you can dilute it a little yourself if you want to).

I've asked Gyeon directly if Wet Coat Essence is a fluro silicon, but I don't think I'll get an answer, so HydrO2 is the only guaranteed fluoro silicon product I know of. Going by the HydrO2 Lite "MSDS", and taking into account dilution ratios, it appears that the concentrated product will have Heptadecafluorodecyltrimethoxysilane @ approx "6 - < 25 %" so I'm thinking approx 15% in reality.

It's not cheap HydrO2 concentrate is it so I'll buy 100ml of it soon and give it a try mixed with Reload (50/50 and play around from there).

Edit: Gyeon have kindly replied to me with their MSDS for Wet Coat Essence, however "we do not publicly document or comment on the contents of our formulas, as they are proprietary" which is of course their prerogative, so unlike HydrO2 I cannot be sure of the silicon used or its probably quantity.

Edit 2: 100ml of HydrO2 has been purchased and my test metallic black Fiesta ST bonnet is ready and waiting.

Last edited by Fatboy40; 24-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 28-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

Well, I was hoping that Hydro2 (with it's flourinated silicon) could provide the sort of water behaviour from CarPro Gliss or Gtechiq Exo in an easy to apply method but with reduced longevity, however this was not the case.

I started with a bare panel, properly prepared, and split it 50/50. I used neat Reload and a 1 to 1 solution of Hydro2 (just in-case using it neat had a weird effect), each side of the panel had two coatings with a few minutes between coating to allow curing (RTV curing?) and then around 20 minutes before any water was sprayed on. With the Hydro2 it was mixed 1 to 1 in a 100 ml sprayer, sprayed onto half the panel and spread with a microfibre applicator, a few seconds passed and then it was buffed off.

The result was that the Hydro2 side felt ever so slightly slicker, but Reload beaded better by a small margin (I've got photo but won't post them unless anyone is interested). At least I only bought 100ml of Hydro2 so it didn't cost much to play around like this.

As Reload is so easy to apply, and for me has better hydrophobicity, I'll keep using that on the paintwork and will use up the Hydro2 on wheels / wheel arches after I've cleaned them (I'm not going to bother trying a Hydro2 / Reload mix as I don't think it it will be worthwhile).