Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 19-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
blader1611
Washmitt Meister

Soft top protector

The wife has just bought a 2004 Mini Cooper S with a dark blue soft top. I cleaned it with autogly cleaner and then applied the autoglym protector. I followed the instructions and it was pretty easy but the top doesnt repel/bead water. Did i do something wrong or is this product not designed to do that? Could it be the soft top fabric that is the issue? I have seen the auto finesse stuff on youtube which shows water beading off so should i use that instead. Any thoughts.
blader1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
CharliesTTS
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I use Renovo products...can’t fault them!
CharliesTTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
RaceGlazer
Approved Trader

Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,088 Posts
Garage
As above..

www.raceglaze.co.uk
www.morethanpolish.com
www.carcovershop.co.uk
RaceGlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Sam6er
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Fabsil is good stuff and cheap compared to some of the soft top protector products available.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
GP Punto
Orbital Oracle

I have used the Autoglym product and there is a better way.

First vacuum the roof, then a wash with APC, dry it off using a towel, if nothing else use a bath towel. Dry between the ribs rather than over them.

Then use a stiff brush, especially on the seams, try and brush out any dust or dirt.

Then use the autoglym cleaner with the course sponge.

Then remove the spray nozzle from the protector bottle. Apply the liquid with a 2 inch paintbrush starting on the seams. Then apply all over the roof, allow to dry and then redo the seams and the panel just below the back window.

You should find good beading when you have finished.

If the car isnt garaged I would treat the roof to a cover, you can buy half covers if you dont want to completely cover the car.

I havent tried Renovo yet but I will do when I next need to buy.
GP Punto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,031 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
Fabsil is good stuff and cheap compared to some of the soft top protector products available.
This is what I use now

Fabsil Gold is probably the best soft-top protection going

To apply it just simply ensure your soft top has been cleaned and ensure it's dry.
Just simply mask the surrounding panels (optional) then I use a 4" paint brush and then apply it to the surface but keep your working area small.

Then leave it to dry which doesn't take long then if you desire you can apply another coat once it's completely dry.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
blader1611
Washmitt Meister

Thanks, i will give Fabsil a try as that is kinder to the wallet than renovo.
blader1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,853 Times in 960 Posts
The car in the images below was my personal car, as Saab 9-3. As you can probably imagine, it was protected with the Autoglym Soft Top Kit.

Here is how I used the kit to consistently get these results
1. Vacuum the soft top really thoroughly
2. Wet the hood
3. Apply the soft top cleaner to a quarter of the hood
4. Agitate really with the coarse white sponge in the kit, do not rush this stage, really clean it. remember a lot of foam does not mean it is clean, you have to work it. do not worry about damaging the hood with the sponge, you won't
5. Move to the next quarter and repeat, expect to use up to half a 500ml bottle on a full size roof
6. Rinse with an open hose, do not blast it with high pressure. As you rinse rub the hood with your hand to bring the cleaner out. Keep on rinsing till it feels like you have been doing it a long time... then do it some more. Th reason for the long rinse is to ensure ALL of the cleaner is removed. Any remaining cleaner will compromise the beading in the second stage. Detergents are designed to keep surfaces wet so they can work. Any remaining detergent wetting agents will kill the bead after the protector is applied.
7. Once you are confident all of the cleaner is out of the hood pat it with a drying towel. The aim here is not to dry the hod, but to remove the excess water, you want it to be a damp, but not wet.
8. Next, using big opened up bin bags or plastic sheeting etc, protect the bodywork. I used to use disposable plastic seat covers and shut them in the doors to protect the glass and upper bodywork.
9. Apply the soft top protector. I used to work left to right across the whole roof, then move across a second time moving up and down to ensure total coverage.
10. If you didn't protect the glass and bodywork, wipe away any protector. If it dries, it will dry stubborn. Remove from glass with Car Glass Polish, remove from bodywork with a firm application of Super Resin Polish.
11. Leave the car somewhere to dry away from the rain or moisture. A warm place is best, in direct sun excellent. I have found the warmth actually gave a better result. Try to leave for a few hours if you can.

Then repeat every 4-6 weeks (if you get it for free like me) or as long as 3 months. It all depends on how your car is stored, the sort of weather it is exposed to etc. all these have a bearing on the durability. You can often 'revive' the roof with a vacuum. the dust etc will kill the bead, so vacuum and rinse and you often find the protector is still working fine, it just doesn't look like it.

This chap uploaded some of his findings to YouTube, his own independent tests. We came across them during a routine search for Autoglym. They chart his findings over 4 months.

"Car is used daily, parked outside and exposed to all weather conditions, cleaned every 1/2 weeks, including brushing and hoovering the soft top and cleaning rest of the car with AutoGlym shampoo."

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Last edited by Autoglym; 20-12-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Autoglym For This Useful Post:
spyder (08-01-2019)
Old 21-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
121DOM
Washmitt Meister

Nanolex convertible top sealant. I’ve tried quite a few and this is the only one that’s as good as the swissvax kit that’s no longer available
121DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
GP Punto
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
Used Fabsil for the first time around a week ago, today was the first rain it has seen, rained here from noon until 6.30. I could not believe the difference in protection between fabsil and autoglym, the rain just rolled away as soon as the car moved. Never saw that with Autoglym.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by GP Punto; 08-01-2019 at 10:04 PM.
GP Punto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP Punto For This Useful Post:
chongo (09-01-2019)