Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 28-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
Mean & clean
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Completely Lost Interest

Hi, it’s been a while since I’ve visited DW. I’ve been a member for quite a while and used to post quite frequently. This is my first post in quite a long time.

I don’t want to waffle on too much, but I’m feeling like I’m stuck in a rut regarding cars and am looking for genuine non biased opinions.

Basically I’ve had the same car for 15 years since it was brand new. At the time it was a big expense to me and it was my absolute pride and joy. Over the years I lightly modified it and kept it pristine. I used to get a lot of pleasure from driving it and detailing/maintaining it.

Due to circumstances I have never been in a position to ever replace the car with anything better. Since owning the car I’ve went through some big life changes, the biggest of which are my parents have passed away and I’ve bought a house and I’m due to get married soon. My priorities and perspectives have changed somewhat - and I feel that my spare time is better spent on something other than detailing.

I’ve found a new hobby over the last five years which is off road cycling. I get so much more out of this for my mental and physical health than anything else has ever given me. As a result it is more of a priority for the use of my spare time than what detailing my now old car is.

The car is still in amazing condition. It isn’t used daily anymore and hasn’t been for some time. This has helped keep the car impeccable, but I feel it’s a waste of a car. I use a banger as a daily which I can park anywhere and not care about it. I don’t need to clean it very often and I just generally use it as an appliance.

I’m paying to tax and insure my ‘good’ car which just sits in the garage to avoid me having to spend the time on it's upkeep. I really did used to spend hours detailing the underside, the engine bay, polishing and waxing the bodywork etc... I’d hate to see it deteriorate now just because I can’t be bothered with the upkeep if I daily drove it. So it just sits in there.

The car is now worthless. It’s an MG ZR, nothing at all special or extravagant. Probably be doing well to get £1000 for it. However it was special to me when I first drove it away from the showroom in 2004 when I was 24.

Where am I going with this? I am waffling, so apologies.

Basically I don’t know if I should sell the car ( and maybe regret it). Put the car into daily use and except it will deteriorate and let it run out it’s lifespan in daily use with me or what.

I find today’s driving a chore, so many cars, so many bad drivers, speed traps, congestion etc, etc... I don’t even desire getting something new and exciting. I’ve also kinda gotten used to not caring and worrying about a car getting dirty, chipped, dented etc, etc...

Should I just give up on the car sell it for peanuts and keep the daily workhorse, or make the car my workhorse and cry a little inside as I watch all of those hours spent detailing go to waste?

The car is impeccable even for a 6 month old car - let alone a 15 year old one.

Has anyone else ever went through something similar?

This is the car and how it actually still is today, even though it’s an old thread...

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...d.php?t=377381

Last edited by Mean & clean; 28-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Mean & clean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mean & clean For This Useful Post:
Citromark (29-09-2019), JB052 (28-09-2019), Naddy37 (29-09-2019)
Old 28-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
MBRuss

How many miles are on it?

If it's in really good nick and relatively low miles, maybe it'll appreciate in a few more years, to the point where it's worth hanging onto and keeping garaged?

If not, I'd say sell it rather than run it into the ground if doing so is going to be depressing for you.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Mean & clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
How many miles are on it?

If it's in really good nick and relatively low miles, maybe it'll appreciate in a few more years, to the point where it's worth hanging onto and keeping garaged?

If not, I'd say sell it rather than run it into the ground if doing so is going to be depressing for you.

Itís done 65k miles.
Mean & clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
MBRuss

Pretty low for its age then, I guess.

Up to you though. Only you can really judge how attached you are to it and what works best for you.

MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Mean & clean (28-09-2019)
Old 28-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
-Stuart W-
PC Perfectionist

I'd be inclined to use it as your daily. You've clearly looked after it and enjoyed doing so - enjoy it in a different way now. It sounds like you've accepted and can handle the odd chip or door ding that comes with daily duties.

If you sell it on, it'll likely get trashed unless you move it on to an enthusiast.
-Stuart W- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -Stuart W- For This Useful Post:
Old 28-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 12,115 Times in 6,777 Posts
Iíve went through something similar OP in that life changed and suddenly spending hours and hours cleaning cars seemed a waste of time for me.

Iím slowly getting back into it now, but itís more of just cleaning them, Iíll never go back to 40 plus hours of detailing.

I have a car, again, nothing really special - an Audi S8 (the ronin one) which I got years ago and used it as my Ďmobile officeí

I ran up and down the country in it and used all seasons - and really looked after it.

With a few years of sitting about and not being used it (after a change in job) it was on the brink of do I sell/do I keep/whatís the point of it.

I decided it meant more to me to keep it, and run it into the ground - to get it used as it should, so thatís what I doing. Donít get me wrong, Iím still looking after it, just using it more and more and detailing it less and less.

I still have my banger Jeep to bash about/dump runs etc...

Hope that early morning waffle helps somehow

Old 28-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Cyclonetog
Washmitt Meister

I'm in a very similar situation.
Bought my 03 Impreza new and only stopped using it last year due to a bit of work required on the engine.
I replaced it last July, was offered diamondbrite by the dealer and that led me here..

The Subaru is sat under my parents carport getting dusty. At some point it's going to have to come home, engine repaired or not..

I'm keeping it though, the thing doesn't owe me a penny, but it's in very good condition for the age (would be better if I'd looked into detailing before), and IMO will only appreciate in value.

I'd say SORN the MG and store it for a while if possible. I think most of the Subaru saloons have been crashed, and most of the ZR's have rotted away and broken. Both will become more and more desirable.
Cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclonetog For This Useful Post:
Old 28-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Chris Dyson
PC Perfectionist

That is a great looking car! If you still enjoy owning and driving it (notwithstanding the idiots on the road today) and can afford it, I would keep it. Use it on high days and holidays and perhaps see it appreciate with time.

My situation shares some similarities with yours regarding the car. I have a 3 series BMW (E36 couť) that is coming up to 25 years old and, like you, I have had it since new. For 24 of those years, it has been a daily driver and from an insurance point of view is now virtually worthless. Now it has been gracefully retired as we have another car for daily use. The BMW has huge sentimental value to us and if the pundits are to be believed it is fast becoming a modern classic. Unfortunately, I did not discover detailing until about eight years ago and so even though the BMW was looked after, it is not in as great a condition as your MG, but is carefully, expensively and slowly being brought back to its former glory.

I have faced the decision you are pondering and I asked myself, how I would feel if I sold it and then saw it, or another car like it, being driven on the road by someone else. Would I regret it? My answer was yes, especially if I saw it had been mistreated. Hence my decision to keep it.

Don't know if that helps. Only you can answer that question for yourself. The fact that you are on here asking the question might suggest which way you are leaning.

Good luck.
Chris Dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Dyson For This Useful Post:
Citromark (29-09-2019), Mean & clean (28-09-2019)
Old 28-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
HEADPHONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Stuart W- View Post
I'd be inclined to use it as your daily. You've clearly looked after it and enjoyed doing so - enjoy it in a different way now. It sounds like you've accepted and can handle the odd chip or door ding that comes with daily duties.

If you sell it on, it'll likely get trashed unless you move it on to an enthusiast.
This ^

The car is worth £1000
It's basically on paper into banger territory to the trade.
Probably not worth much more than your daily banger on paper.
The question should be "do I keep my daily banger?" if anything.

Before kids and a big mortgage I was in a position to buy my first new car in 2005.
I doubt I'll be able to be that extravagant again.
My Zed is probably worth £4k trade in.
But to me it brings back so many good memories.

It's my daily and I've accepted it gets door dings parking in public.
I still try to park it away from the masses when possible, but accept it needs to be used.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
Peter77

I would use it and enjoy it. You never know, the more you drive it, the dirtier it gets. It may give you an urge to give it a clean more often. Lovely looking car btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter77 For This Useful Post: