Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 28-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
tishobg
Sponge Jockey

Can't get Fusso to work - Why?

Hi!

After buying Fusso Light from a local retailer, after various applications methods, I'm always ending up with the same results.

Car is prepped decently before, I apply a light layer and leave exactly 5 minutes (finger swipe test confirms it's time to buff). Buff to a high shine and a very pleasant slick feel.

But...that's on my car applied by myself and a friend's car applied by him, Fusso makes the car attract dirt incredibly easy. Driving in the rain for 10 minutes equals a filthy car. Means I have to wash the car weekly at it's best, compared to fortnightly when using WetCoat for example. Even the lightest rain results with dirt water spots everywhere. Dust settles in a matter of hours. Pics show the car right after cleaning it and driving in the rain. Other pics show the car after sitting stationary for 4-5 days - looks as if it was abandoned for months!

Leaving that aside, even though it's almost a deal breaker, but durability is the other thing. How come we both experienced degradation in less than 2 months? It stopped beading and started sheeting only after a month and a half on horizontal panels. That's on par with an application of WetCoat, which takes 2 minutes instead of half an hour with Fusso.

Is there something specific, something we obviously are missing there? We both use ONR to clean our car. We rinse with a pressure washer and then clean the car using ONR. Are there fakes out there and if so, how can you distinguish them? Nippon Shine doesn't offer shipping to Bulgaria so the russian retailers on eBay are my other bet - are they genuine and good too?

My car was mechanically and chemically decon'ed, polished with ultimate compound, applied SRP for a base layer and Fusso on top. While Fusso is best on bare paint, I have tried it on bare paint and had the same results, plus forum members here have applied to Fusso over a glaze before and didn't have issues with durability.
tishobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,801 Times in 5,006 Posts
Garage
There ARE a lot of fakes out there, it was quite a big thing. People seem to find it amusing that someone fake a small wax but thats because they dont understand how big the company is and how popular their products are elsewhere. However, unless you are buying from spurious site somewhere i just dont believe that is your problem.
In an ideal world you would ditch the srp, that will 100% effect the durability. If you want a product to last over 6 months and you put it on a product that lasts a couple of months you will only see a couple of months total. The solvents in fusso are quite strong so there is every chance it could be effecting the srp immediately
Is there a chance the onr is effecting the beading? Do you use a drying aid at all? Just thinking outside the box but it may be worth trying a strong pre wash and a strong shampoo to see if there is a build up of other polymers there changing the water behaviour. Ive seen that before also
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Cyclonetog
Washmitt Meister

100% it's the SRP ruining the durability, you need to lay the fusso down on bare paint if you can. This is one of the reasons I use Bilt Hamber shampoo, as it doesn't try to add its own wax layer.

About it being a dust magnet, not sure? The photo of the car in the street also has a lot of dust on the glass, the black car opposite looks relatively clean.

I've fusso'd my girlfriends fiesta and so far it always looks clean despite the fact she has to drive across a dusty car park every day for work.
Cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclonetog For This Useful Post:
bigmac3161 (28-09-2019)
Old 28-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
tishobg
Sponge Jockey

@Cyclonetog: Car is coated on the windows with AngelWax H2GO. It's extremely obvious because of my tinted windows, but there was in fact much more dust on the car paint, albeit being light coloured, not as apparent. From what I understand, waxes in general do attract dust more than sealants/coatings. At least in my findings comparing Fusso and WetCoat that is the case. Another product I used was Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax, which is Carnauba based and didn't attract as much dust and dirt as Fusso. Somehow WetCoat, perhaps being SiO2 based, prevents the dust buildup. Washed car yesterday morning, It's almost 7PM the next day, sitting outside, car hasn't got a single spec of dust on it, Fusso never did achieve that on my car.

I have my doubt it's SRP causing such an early degradation and am more leaning towards it being fake, but decided to give it another go. You could say I had some leftover WetCoat or whatever else coating/wax I was experiencing before putting on Fusso on my own vehicle, so I just today applied Fusso on my parents' car, a 2007 Astra hatch. Car hasn't seen a wax or anything protection wise most likely since new. Received a nice ONR wash, IPA wipe down(15%) prior to application.

Pictures of the end result as attachment and a video of the hydrophobic qualities straight after buffing it.
Video Youtube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8828.jpg (88.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8835-min.jpg (98.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8832-min.jpg (98.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by tishobg; 28-09-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 28-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
Titanium Htail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
O would be tempted to put Fusso on clean paint, SRP can clean single stage paint which is ok, yep a wipe of each section may give the Fusso opportunity to bond on a clean surface, layering is always trial and error, so Fusso would say keep it simple.

Try it on the shuts where the paint is untreated. Small sections perhaps apply with a damp sponge and good buffing cloth that bites into the residue.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
tishobg
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Htail View Post
O would be tempted to put Fusso on clean paint, SRP can clean single stage paint which is ok, yep a wipe of each section may give the Fusso opportunity to bond on a clean surface, layering is always trial and error, so Fusso would say keep it simple.

Try it on the shuts where the paint is untreated. Small sections perhaps apply with a damp sponge and good buffing cloth that bites into the residue.

John Tht.
I might be the 1%, but I actually coated with SRP and Fusso the shuts as well - my thinking was that when people get in and out, they can scratch them easily, so some protection would go a long way.

Thankfully I had my parents' car to use as a test subject. A car not getting any treatment usually and washed at the coin-op is perfect to test the real durability of Fusso. It was applied on perfectly clean bare paint.

Furthermore, are there certain factors which dictate how much a car collect dirt? I honestly feel my car just likes to collect more dirt than usual. I have clayed it before, but roof and bonnet have collected some contamination again (especially roof). Would the uneven surface cause a drop in surface tension?
Old 29-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Cyclonetog
Washmitt Meister

Fusso doesn't attract dirt, I think you may have a fake copy.

Once polymerised, it creates a hard layer. I wouldn't say it repels dust, but dust and dirt are very easily removed.
Cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
tishobg
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonetog View Post
Fusso doesn't attract dirt, I think you may have a fake copy.

Once polymerised, it creates a hard layer. I wouldn't say it repels dust, but dust and dirt are very easily removed.
Easily removed yes, it rarely needed more than just water. Just easily settles on the paint.
Basically, imagine a light rain. Car has been sitting for 3-4 days and has gotten quite dusty. Once the rain stops, a lot of beads are on the car. The sun then bakes the water spots combined with the dirt and after that, the end result is incredibly hard to remove and I think it directly affects the coating, like it degrades it by baking dirt&water on it. I washed the car 2-3 times prior to raining and the car was beading like Day 1 - After the aforementioned scenario happens, instant drop in beading even after washing it.
Old 30-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #9
Bulkhead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I don't think it's the Fusso - it looks like the combination of rain and dust! I have the same issue when it rains. The dust dries on the water beads and it looks very similar.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
tishobg
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
I don't think it's the Fusso - it looks like the combination of rain and dust! I have the same issue when it rains. The dust dries on the water beads and it looks very similar.
Very possible. Being a wax, it's definitely a bit more of a dust magnet compared to let's say an untreated vehicle. I believe Nippon Shine have confirmed Fusso does act like a wax, not a sealant in the fact it attracts dust. I do live in a dusty area which often has light rain, which is just enough to ruin everything.

I still wonder though - are there certain aspects of paint that make dust stick easier to it? For example, if it hasn't been clayed. Would the slickness of the surface really make a different on something as light as dust particles?