Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
NorthantsPete
PC Perfectionist

Man accelerated change - possible.
The earth however is ALWAYS changing, and it will always do so.. once both ice cpas are melted and its back to its true self, it will change again. it goes through various cycles

then, we'll probalby get hit by a huge asteroid and it wont matter anyway as we have no defence. So whilst the elite move their money around to buy a new ferrari, the fate of the humankind is at the will of space and its threats.

Saudi arabia cutting off glaciers and floating them for drinking water though, on an industrial scale, is the kind of thing that will make things move quicker than planned.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthantsPete For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019), TonyH38 (31-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,984 Times in 4,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cueball View Post
I’m sure man isn’t doing the planet any favours, but I believe she’s old enough and big enough to look after herself - been doing it for ages. Hot/cold/hot/cold.

What isn’t going to help, or solve anything is our tiny little island taxing it residents more and more. Until they stop doing that as a ‘solution’ I’ll continue to believe it’s all just a money grab.

Just how I see it, although I always remember a good few years ago at top of cairngorm skiing got chatting with a guy and he was a scientist, it had been a terrible year for skiing and he said that Scottish Skiing was finished due to global warning the Next 3 years was the best years for as long as I could remember

China, India, US , I could go on all need to do the most, for us in Scotland to say we will offset our carbon foot print by sending money to India to Improve pollution made me laugh
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,311 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
This is quite an interesting read, well interesting as far as this topic goes - https://b8f65cb373b1b7b15feb-c70d8ea...eport-2017.pdf

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
gatecrasher3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
But that's not down to climate change, that's down to the idiots in Westminster being a bunch of thieves no matter which particular flavour they represent. That's a whole seperate discussion for a different thread but not one of them has the interests of the country or the people in their agenda.

Climate change became a thing when Blair was in power, hence the banning of CFC's, just a shame everyone after him has ignored it and Ms Thunberg can stamp her little feet all she wants, if the entire world stopped using things that affect climate change:
a) her nice shiny electronic gadget filled world will suddenly become a thing of the past
and
b) how long does she think it will take to make any real difference to the planet? She is 16 now so her bleating about childhood is rubbish, she's almost an adult but real meaningful change to the climate will take decades and by the time it does happen, she will be middle aged.
I get that we need to do something and i'm more than happy to give up my car IF the powers that be make public transport both clean and reliable at times i might want to use it.

If they wanted real change, then they would insist we all use hydrogen powered cars - they do exist - and make them cheap and the filling stations plentiful but like the electric cars, they are a threat to the oil producing cartels and hence why they are kept artificially high in cost.

Right, i'll grab me soapbox and see you all later
All valid points.

In addition cynical me is in the mindset that Ms Thunberg is simply a climate change marketing tool. A marketing tool for those that wish to get people in the mindset that they don't begrudge paying a little more in tax if it's for the children.

Clever really.

gatecrasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatecrasher3 For This Useful Post:
Juke_Fan (05-10-2019), Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #15
uruk hai

Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,360 Posts
Garage
Yes, I believe in man made climate change and I have no doubt that we may well be close to if not at the point of no return for some habitats and species.

Do I think it's all down to the behaviour of the human race, I'm not honestly sure ? But I do believe through constant burning of fossil fuels, changing and removal of various habitats, the constant increase in the global population that we have caused way more than our fair share of change and I suppose you could argue damage ?

What I don't like or agree with is the way it's used by some people as a bully pulpit to attack all those who aren't considered "environmentaly aware", I don't believe people on the whole will be bullied, shamed or taxed into what ever changes may or may not be needed.

I believe it will need honesty, education and informed consent, my and I believe the minds of others won't be changed by militant, patronising, self righteous vegans and eco warriors !

Last edited by uruk hai; 04-10-2019 at 07:45 PM.
uruk hai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uruk hai For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
Darlofan

Thanked 1,179 Times in 772 Posts
Garage
We've had a local mp doing a publicity stunt talking to kids at a primary school today about how a new 50mph zone has reduced pollution levels by the school. Parents interviewed saying how great it is and how wonderful to have cleaner air. Right online argument going on as someone is outing those parents that drive their kids to school yet live close by(one 11doors away!!)
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
ianrobbo1 (06-10-2019), Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
muzzer

Thanked 4,974 Times in 3,190 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher3 View Post
All valid points.

In addition cynical me is in the mindset that Ms Thunberg is simply a climate change marketing tool. A marketing tool for those that wish to get people in the mindset that they don't begrudge paying a little more in tax if it's for the children.

Clever really.
Very clever indeed but i get the general idea behind the movers and shakers of the climate change movement, we as a race must change but i seriously doubt it will happen in my life time.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
Juke_Fan

Garage
I believe we are polluting the world but don't believe this is contributing that much to global warming/climate change.

The world goes through hot and cold cycles due to solar cycles. This is the the real cause of global warming IMHO.

Check out http://weatheraction.com/. The site is badly presented but it contains a lot of useful info. Jeremy Corbyn's brother run this.
Juke_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juke_Fan For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #19
roscopervis

Of course man made climate change is occurring. Of course, many of the people on this board cannot differentiate between the genuine science, and right wing tax arguments against C02 emissions. Then there's the people who don't understand the difference between natural climate change - very obvious, loads of records, loads of evidence - and the current concern for man made climate change. Why is there the difference? That's what people need to look into and try and understand.

I've got into big debates before on this before and now the science is even more certain and the evidence is even more overwhelming. It is happening.

The next part of the equation is what can we do to mitigate it? I don't think we can stop it, it's too late, I've though it's too late since 2000. It is all about mitigation, but the problem is the most powerful man in the world is a bona fide idiot. If you agree with him, on anything, you must question your thought processes. Getting that kind of thought inert changed is hard, will take too long and in the meantime big damage will occur. We, as a small nation can only set an example, as we did with setting the example with the industrial revolution.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roscopervis For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #20
pt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
Of course man made climate change is occurring. Of course, many of the people on this board cannot differentiate between the genuine science, and right wing tax arguments against C02 emissions. Then there's the people who don't understand the difference between natural climate change - very obvious, loads of records, loads of evidence - and the current concern for man made climate change. Why is there the difference? That's what people need to look into and try and understand.

I've got into big debates before on this before and now the science is even more certain and the evidence is even more overwhelming. It is happening.

The next part of the equation is what can we do to mitigate it? I don't think we can stop it, it's too late, I've though it's too late since 2000. It is all about mitigation, but the problem is the most powerful man in the world is a bona fide idiot. If you agree with him, on anything, you must question your thought processes. Getting that kind of thought inert changed is hard, will take too long and in the meantime big damage will occur. We, as a small nation can only set an example, as we did with setting the example with the industrial revolution.
No billionaire is a idiot. The media try their best to dog trump but you dont get where he is by being a idiot

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pt1 For This Useful Post:
ianrobbo1 (06-10-2019)