Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc

Old 08-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

California Scents odd smell

I've had these in my car for I reckon 8 years. I normally buy from ebay from a reputable seller. The last two scents I used (Shasta Strawberry and Golden State Delight) have had an odd whiff in the background that reminds me of vomit. The wife has been complaining and she normally likes the California Scents.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm querying whether it's a genuine issue or perhaps I bought a dodgy batch off ebay.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
WRX
Sponge Jockey

I bought 3 different ones from car parts 4 less, one went in my wifeís car and the smell lasted about 2 days, the other went in my bathroom and lasted the same and the third which was cherry went in my car and has lasted 4 weeks so far. I put it down to the fact that car parts 4 less couldíve had them sitting around for years before I purchased them but after reading positive amazon reviews most people get months from them so I was disappointed. I canít say they smelt bad but no longevity from 2 of the 3. I will say though I noticed people selling them all over the place on Facebook marketplace dirt cheap and selling entire boxes of them so not sure where they would be getting them from in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

Possible chance that they're well beyond their manufacturing date, however there are also fakes out there (personally I'd never buy them off of eBay due to the fakes being sold).

I reached out to the parent company of California Scents a while back to get confirmation of how to decode the batch number / manufacturing date on the bottom of tin, which I posted on here. I'll find the post and edit this message with a link to it...

Edit: Here you go...

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...34&postcount=7

... and they do have a shelf life before they start to degrade, and quite often the eBay and Amazon "seller" ones are right at the end of this or have gone beyond it.

Last edited by Fatboy40; 10-10-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy40 For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
Possible chance that they're well beyond their manufacturing date, however there are also fakes out there (personally I'd never buy them off of eBay due to the fakes being sold).
Thanks. I'll look into it. If they're fakes, they're very good fakes. I'll check the batch numbers too.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
minimadmotorman
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I've been disappointed with last few Coronado Cherry ones I've bought.

Bought one the solid fragrance oil versions from Halfords and it's been mega and lasting ages.
minimadmotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
WRX
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimadmotorman View Post
I've been disappointed with last few Coronado Cherry ones I've bought.

Bought one the solid fragrance oil versions from Halfords and it's been mega and lasting ages.

The poorboys hanging air fresheners smell amazing. They only last a couple of weeks but car parts 4 less do them for around a quid so Iím happy to pay that but most detailing sites sell them for £2.99 which I wouldnít pay. They do cherry and apple and vanilla but not being a fan of vanilla I usually buy a couple of apple and cherry and rotate between them once the smells gone.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
RS3
Washmitt Meister

Chemical Guys Warm Apple Pie Spray for me. Absolutely love the stuff, must have been through about 3 litres over last few years since discovering it and never get tired of it.

Also like the CG Glazed Doughnut and their Stripper scent which gets used in the downstairs toilet.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
WRX
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
Chemical Guys Warm Apple Pie Spray for me. Absolutely love the stuff, must have been through about 3 litres over last few years since discovering it and never get tired of it.

Also like the CG Glazed Doughnut and their Stripper scent which gets used in the downstairs toilet.

You just got me searching all the chemical guys air freshener bottles now and 90% of them sound so good. Iíll pass on their Crunchy Bacon one though! I think I have one cherry and one apple poorboys left unused and an autofinese air freshener left so Iím not going to buy anymore air fresheners now and when theyíve gone Iíll buy a mini pack of 3 x 4oz chemical guys bottles and give them ago. The warm apple pie one made my mouth water reading the description and Iíve always been a fan of the magic tree new car scent so will be good to try CG new car and see what thatís like.

RS3 (11-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
Sp00ks
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwolf View Post
I've had these in my car for I reckon 8 years. I normally buy from ebay from a reputable seller. The last two scents I used (Shasta Strawberry and Golden State Delight) have had an odd whiff in the background that reminds me of vomit. The wife has been complaining and she normally likes the California Scents.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm querying whether it's a genuine issue or perhaps I bought a dodgy batch off ebay.
I have had this a few times to, given up with them now. They used to be great and last months, but nowadays they do smell like vomit. If you can persist, I couldnít in my car but did in the back of a work van, the vomit smell does go and just the scent remains.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sp00ks For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (11-10-2019)
Old 18-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #10
WRX
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post

I told myself I would wait until Iíve used my air fresheners up but as Chemical Guys have free uk postage all weekend I took the plunge and ordered stripper scent and warm apple pie.

AndyQash (19-10-2019)