Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
GhirlsInGreen
Unwashed Member

Road Traffic Accident

Someone pulled out of a junction onto a busy main road and my other half went into them righting off her car. The other driver has accepted liability. We have contacted her insurance who have arranged a hire car as well as taking do with paying out for the car. They have arranged to get a lawyer for personal unjury. The thing is the other drivers insurers have called me asking to deal with them direct. Whats the done thing in these circumstances. Obviously we would want the best payout for the car and injuries ect. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
GhirlsInGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
garage_dweller
Orbital Oracle

If you go through their insurance they'll do it on the cheap, go through yours and they'll then claim back from the other drivers insurance - but the costs will be higher as your insurance will give you a better hire car for example.

Not sure if using their insurance means no affect on no claims bonus, whereas it might going through yours.
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
GhirlsInGreen
Unwashed Member

The insurance have said they have waived the excess as well as keeping the no claims bonus. we have protected no claims also

Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 7,294 Times in 4,605 Posts
Is your insurance company dealing with it, or have they passed you on to an accident management company with extortionate fees?

I have the opinion that dealing with the insurer at fault is usually the best. They'll keep total unnessary costs down.

If you claim off the other person's insurance you don't need to pay your excess anyway.

If you have protected NCB your NCB isn't affected anyway. You'll still need to declare this accident any time you apply for insurance.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
macca666 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,062 Posts
Garage
Is your wife's car a total loss?

Are you insured through a Broker?

Whatever you decide, do not use an injury solicitor appointed by the third party, use your own (or one appointed by your Legal Expenses Insurance if you have cover in place).

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,263 Times in 1,312 Posts
Garage
I'm with Kerr on this sounds as if your insurance has passed it on to others to deal with if they've passed you on to a criminal injuries lawyer already who will be out for every 0enny they can get.

Unfortunately most people these days are looking for money and companies are promoting this with exorbitant claims (not suggesting you are OP I'm just generalising)

My opinion is that as long as you know what you want for the likes of your car deal with the insurance company. they may not want to do it on the cheap more do it cost effective without paying out needlessly so that a lawyer can claim extra fees.

When i came off my bike many years ago I was a bit naive and it was a claims company that dealt with it. They tried to force me to take a hire bike despite the fact I didn't need one (I have my cars) saying it was in my best interests and also tried to get me to take extra time off my work as it meant I could claim more for personal injury!!

Never again will I go through that as it took months and months to get it sorted due to the lawyer trying to get more money out of them despite the fact I was happy with what they were offering

macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
staffordian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just make sure that the car you've been loaned isn't on one of these type of arrangements...
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5893682
staffordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
GhirlsInGreen
Unwashed Member

As far as im aware my insurance are dealing with it as I havent been informed that they have passed me on to another company. As soon as the accident occured the police were called. they took statements. My insurance company were called who took details of the incident. They then arranged for my car to be recovered and arranged a hire/courtesy car from enterprise. I was told that their legal firm would be in touch regarding personal injuries and that my car was being taken for inspection. The repairs garage called to say the recovery guy sent him photos and he wouldnt be taking it in to the garage as the damage is extensive so instead instructed the recovery to take it directly to copart and would be contacting my insurance to tell them its a right off. That all took place yesterday

Today I got a voicemail from the guy at faults insurance company saying we are calling to inform you that the guy accepts full liability and we can offer you any assistance you may need in regards to hire car. car repairs or personal injury and we can deal with you directly and to call them back if i wish to accept their offer. hope thats all quite clear

The Following User Says Thank You to GhirlsInGreen For This Useful Post:
macca666 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhirlsInGreen View Post
..... They then arranged for my car to be recovered and arranged a hire/courtesy car from enterprise...........
Which is it? Afaik, they're different animals.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 7,294 Times in 4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat View Post
Which is it? Afaik, they're different animals.

When someone bumped me years ago his insurance company(Direct Line) organised me a car through Enterprise or Europacar. Their hire rate was very cheap.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote