Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
andyxedos
Unwashed Member

I am looking for a new outside light too-preferably a twin style one. After having 2 LED lights that have both gone faulty and seem to provide a really poor light i am considering going back to halogen if i can find one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
andyxedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
gatecrasher3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
the next question been do you take the keys upstairs with you or leave them downstairs on view so if they get in the house they dont come wake you.

welcome to broken britain. you wouldnt believe the half of it
My family are way more important than a car, the keys are downstairs and easy to find in the unfortunate event that someone does get in.

That said, they're not visible from the outside. I'm not making it that easy!
gatecrasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #13
legend139
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
definitely agree with the camera been a deterrent and would debate that a dummy camera would have the same effect for a fraction of the cost. the point been that if they actually commited the act the camera footage wouldnt be anygood.

compared to having a dummy alarm box v a live box where if they commit an act the sound would be the deterrent.

for someone defending agaisnt the opportunist thief making them work for it is the best deterrent. they're crimiminals for a reason, they dont like hard work. why try and rob from somewhere thats hard work when unfortunatly they'll be an easier graft elsewhere.

becomes more complicated, and scary when youre up against Organised Crime Groups (OCG's). these are your honio burgularys where the car is actually the target of the burgulary and they'll up the ante to get what they want. the next question been do you take the keys upstairs with you or leave them downstairs on view so if they get in the house they dont come wake you.

welcome to broken britain. you wouldnt believe the half of it

Security Camera peace of mind for me, plus I already have a big server running upstairs in the small bedroom, and ran running ethernets through the house so for the sake of 4x 4K IP cameras and some Ethernet thought why not.

Plus gave me something productive to do around the house at the weekend! Gotta keep myself busy. As for the flood light, both neighbours either side have them on all night and both have CCTV so Iím kind of covered plus the house across the road.

Although as you I totally agree with your statement on cctv, floods light Iím going to order one of the timeguard although Iím worried it wonít be bright enough to light up the drive as Iíve seen a picture are these are tiny unit, although doo look the part.

I moved the CCTV today from
the far garage side to the space between the front door and the bay window, much better angle and least itíll be spotted more easily by anyone looking to come near the cars / house.

Running the cables was abit of a ball ache but managed it through the shelter void so no visible wires. Also ran power cable through -/ its easier to pull a few cables through together than tried to shimmy a second cable at a later date and tied it back.

My new plan now is to just put 2 spot lights in the ceiling above the door. No way to get access to the other side of the bay window without doing dramatic work not worth it really. So no surface mounted wired exposed / conduit needed.

Iíll get some pictures tomorrow complete forgot today

Just looking for some 2 led adjustable spot lights atm that are ip65 which I can pick up in the morning if anyoneís got any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
legend139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
legend139
Sponge Jockey

Hi all,

So I spent couple hours yesterday running the cables and moving the cctv camera to the new location, wasnít set on the positions of the lighting so I left the wiring tied up for today when I made my mind up / found some lighting to use.

Pondered over to Screwfix this morning and got 2 spa chrome spot lights for £8 each which are ip65 rated..

Decided on the location so drilled the holes out, started to run the wires and I decided to drill a hole right through the hidden Ethernet cable Iíd ran the day before!!! If anyone had seen me on the street I was beyond ****ed! Luckily Iíd left about 2 meters of excess cable inside the cavity for the CCTV so fannying around for 2 hours managed to get it up and running again with a Ethernet coupler!

Turns out the cavity for the shelter is only just big enough for the lighting units I got, so going to make a couple of ply wood rings to lift the lighting down 12mm so I can use adjustment of the lighting.

Final thing, thought Iíd have a play with an Alexa socket, so dismantled it and wired it directly inline for the fun of it. Need a small project box to house it inside but hereís the results

Old 21-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #15
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,889 Times in 2,258 Posts
Garage
I have a Foscam camera, I run it via WIFI. Apart from a periodic reboot and a wipe of the lens it's been fine for years.

I just surface run the power cable down the side of the house and in to the porch.

Also have a cheap Wickes LED security light, again, fine for at least the 5 years We've been here run in to the porch to a multi socket thing.
PugIain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #16
legend139
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugIain View Post
I have a Foscam camera, I run it via WIFI. Apart from a periodic reboot and a wipe of the lens it's been fine for years.

I just surface run the power cable down the side of the house and in to the porch.

Also have a cheap Wickes LED security light, again, fine for at least the 5 years We've been here run in to the porch to a multi socket thing.

I donít like the idea of WiFi applications other than phones and tablets, where I can I use Ethernet as itís more stable. Just use the hotspot for phones and tablets etc..

Plus Iím using IP cameras so Iím running power over Ethernet anyway. Although Iíve avoided running cables outside the house because the neighbours across the road had wired all over the house and looks messy and thatís a no for me!

As for the power Iíd recently installed a garage consumer unit with a decimated lighting circuit for outdoor use so I used that for the lighting. Managed to get access from within the garage to the shelter without any exposed wires

Old 21-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
ianrobbo1
The Jokes Man

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,756 Posts
Garage
I'm using some cheap Chinese led security lights, and they are holding up well, "we get to see every cat in the neighbourhood as they pass our house" the things are always on and off "hopefully detering chancers" I also have 8, Swann security cameras with the ability to see what each camera is seeing, on my phone, and to top all that off a proper separate alarm system in my garage, no naughty people as yet, and I hope never to need the other stuff thats waiting for them!!

Last edited by ianrobbo1; 21-10-2019 at 03:33 PM.
ianrobbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #18
legend139
Sponge Jockey

I bought one of those timeguard in the link that Samwh1 suggested, not sure how much itíll cover the front if not Iím in the need for one on the back anyway so Iíll put that on the back and look for something else!

Mine are Reolink 4K Ip cameras, only £55 a piece plugged into a server in the spare bedroom, quality is incredible, even the nighttime footage is great. Although with any good CCTV system I think the key is good lighting around the areas aswell. Again can access the footage from my phone too and live stream! Only have mine activated on sensor so least it gives me an idea when theyíve been triggered rather than wasting my time sieving through the footage for nothing