Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 21-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vsideboy Send a message via MSN to vsideboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Any idea how this would hold up on occasionally moving parts?

My wife's R171 Mercedes SLK has two areas of black paint at the sides of the folding roof besides the rear screen where the clear coat seems to be failing. When the hardtop retracts and opens, I suspect there is some marginal friction on the surfaces.

I guess the answer is that there's no harm trying but has anybody got any experience, please?

Failing that, I was thinking of localised vinyl wrapping.

Thanks

Peter
repetitive friction would cause it to self peel I think mate. Think of it staying on the surface using surface tension rather than adhesive.

I've sprayed my full car in the past, black celica GT4 with full veilside bodykit (hence the username) from black to matt white. Had it like that for almost 3 years and although it was then very hard to peel off, had I been bothered to spray a few more coats ontop to refresh the layers below I reckon it would probably have peeled then.

I sprayed it outside and other than 1 small bit on the front bumper where I'd not got rid of a water drip it came out well. I'll see if I can get a photo up.
vsideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vsideboy For This Useful Post:
Fentum (21-10-2019)
Old 21-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Here you go.
Before

Progress

End Result
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vsideboy For This Useful Post:
Fentum (21-10-2019), LostVulpine (21-10-2019)
Old 21-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Nothing wrong with the paint underneath, just fancied a change and had watched too many of the Fonzie videos on youtube to not give it a go.
Old 21-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,666 Times in 943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsideboy View Post
Here you go.
Before

Progress

End Result
Nicely done!

P
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
Crackfox
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Here you go.

Before

Progress

End Result

Nice. How did you find cleaning it? Always curious given most the vids are US based. They do have their issues with heat etc but they dont get the same level of rain/dirt/salt.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Crackfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #16
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Providing that you keep on top of it then cleaning was ok.

Any staining marks seemed to come off using a magic sponge with light pressure. It is quite a resilient product really.

If you are going to use it then I'd suggest that you do some smaller bits first rather than jumping straight to a full car. As in the last picture I had dipped my alloys whilst off the car as well first as a test.

Internal bits of trim I would imagine would be fine to do however you may find that repetitive friction of grabbing or arm rubbing might cause it to release after a while.

When I first did all the trim bits in the celica (air vents, door handle surrounds etc.) I did them with white primer and normal red external spray paint and they held up fine like that for well over 10 years. Didn't even use plastic primer just normal so that's a more permanent option for you perhaps?

Not to everyones taste obviously but with a black car with full black interior I wanted a bit of colour. Had it like that in my GT for 5 years and my GT4 for 6 years -buy one before selling the other and swap all the modded bits over

Also if you look REALLY closely you'll see I even painted the internal fins and the buttons on the air vents haha. Those were the days when I had spare time on my hands! Families ruin all the fun!

Last edited by vsideboy; 22-10-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 22-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
Crackfox
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Providing that you keep on top of it then cleaning was ok.

Any staining marks seemed to come off using a magic sponge with light pressure. It is quite a resilient product really.

If you are going to use it then I'd suggest that you do some smaller bits first rather than jumping straight to a full car. As in the last picture I had dipped my alloys whilst off the car as well first as a test.

Internal bits of trim I would imagine would be fine to do however you may find that repetitive friction of grabbing or arm rubbing might cause it to release after a while.

When I first did all the trim bits in the celica (air vents, door handle surrounds etc.) I did them with white primer and normal red external spray paint and they held up fine like that for well over 10 years. Didn't even use plastic primer just normal so that's a more permanent option for you perhaps?

Not to everyones taste obviously but with a black car with full black interior I wanted a bit of colour. Had it like that in my GT for 5 years and my GT4 for 6 years -buy one before selling the other and swap all the modded bits over

Also if you look REALLY closely you'll see I even painted the internal fins and the buttons on the air vents haha. Those were the days when I had spare time on my hands! Families ruin all the fun!
I did notice the vent fins actually. It does look a bit ott for me, but as you say each to their own, probably is better in person when your surrounded by all the black, where as the picture is more focused on the red parts.

I've dipped a few things in the past, and I have clear over the front of my sills to absorb a few stone chips. I just find it harder to clean in comparison to the rest of the car. I've also got a couple of interior parts done in matt black dip, just to cover up a few of the aged plastic with scuffs etc in. It holds up well to be fair. I've also been slowly doing the interior of the panels, I find it really good for sound proofing. I've been laying a few layers down on top of the more expensive eastwood rubberised sealer.

Crackfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
PugIain
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,889 Times in 2,258 Posts
Garage
I decided to change my interior trim from silver to black (all available from the factory)

The bits I could buy I bought, but couldn't get hold of vent rings and door pulls.

I did these bits in plastidip they've actually worn quite well.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
PugIain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugIain For This Useful Post:
vsideboy (23-10-2019)
Old 22-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #19
Andpopse
Washmitt Meister

I’ve just changed some big chrome hinges on my Trike luggage, by using Plasti-dip Matt Black. I used the plasti-dip primer and sprayed about 5 Coats of Plasti-dip black. Came out really well. Slight texture finish but I’m happy with that.
Seems as though it will last ok.
Andpopse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #20
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackfox View Post
I did notice the vent fins actually. It does look a bit ott for me, but as you say each to their own, probably is better in person when your surrounded by all the black, where as the picture is more focused on the red parts.

I've dipped a few things in the past, and I have clear over the front of my sills to absorb a few stone chips. I just find it harder to clean in comparison to the rest of the car. I've also got a couple of interior parts done in matt black dip, just to cover up a few of the aged plastic with scuffs etc in. It holds up well to be fair. I've also been slowly doing the interior of the panels, I find it really good for sound proofing. I've been laying a few layers down on top of the more expensive eastwood rubberised sealer.

Yeah, think the camera has made it look brighter and more orange than it actually was.