Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > Garage/Product Collections
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage/Product Collections Post your Garage or Product Collection pics here....

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Carvell
Sponge Jockey

If I was to timber frame and then insulate the walls do I need to use a tanking type paint on the walls first? Also with the roof is it a simple case of boarding the rafters and then laying insulation on top.

I just don’t want soggy insulation.

I know garage door is my biggest issue but I need to do some saving before I can afford one of those.

Thanks
Stuart
Carvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #12
lisaclio
Washmitt Meister

I constructed a single skin garage (to save on costs) then I had a it framed inside and insulation preferably over 100mm places in between the studs of the walls and the ceiling joists. I did have the brick walls tanked half way up as it’s just to stop rising damp from the floor. Then I plasterboarded and jointed. For the floor it was a freshly laid concrete slab so couldn’t really epoxy, and as concrete holds water for a long time I decided to self level it and then I’ve used a thin vinyl on the floor. I didn’t want to paint it as it flakes over time. It’s also a lot cheaper and cost me about £120 and is hard wearing and takes the weight of my car. It’s been down 6 months and apart from mopping it, it’s durable and looks good.
lisaclio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:13 AM   #13
ianrobbo1
The Jokes Man

Thanked 3,300 Times in 1,758 Posts
Garage
I've been having a good old nosey on farce book market place and the amount of cheap stuff for garages makes you blink, it might be worth looking on there for cheap'ish bits that you need. I just dropped on a motorbike shed for £30 quid, it retails at over a grand, and is bigger than one similar to my girlfriend's that she paid £400 for.
here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190707_141717.jpg (52.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190713_154837 (1).jpg (43.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190713_154803 (1).jpg (87.1 KB, 30 views)
ianrobbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
blademansw
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvell View Post
If I was to timber frame and then insulate the walls do I need to use a tanking type paint on the walls first? Also with the roof is it a simple case of boarding the rafters and then laying insulation on top.

I just don’t want soggy insulation.

I know garage door is my biggest issue but I need to do some saving before I can afford one of those.

Thanks
Stuart
No, that's the last thing you want to do. The aim is to provide an inner wall that stops moisture entering the inside of the garage, but allows the garage to breathe - moisture out. Have a look at how the Yanks/Canadians deal with the issue due to their timber frame construction.
blademansw is online now   Reply With Quote