Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 13-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOCBMG View Post
That video is amazing!

but he does say not to use APC on the interior!? pretty much everything i've read says clean the interior with APC.

What would you use instead of APC? i have some vinyl cleaner for the plastic but nothing for the wheel / cloth?
APC is fine on interior but not at the same dilution/strength as you would use for exterior.

It also depends on On what surface your cleaning, recently my dad got a 7 seater for holidays, cheap and dirty, I used smart price apc mixed 1:5 in a spray bottle and a wash mitt and a bucket of water for rinsing, the rinse water was black by the time I Had finished, my own car exterior isn’t that bad !! it cleaned fine and the world did not end!

However, on my own car once it had a full deep clean in a similar way when I got it,
once the deep clean had been done I dressed all plastics, vinyl and protected fabrics and now all I have to do is use some auto finesse spritz to wipe the dust down and on door sills and bottom of door card I use VP citrus mixed 1:10 and its back to my standards.

I would tend to steer clear of APC on fabric

But essentially an APC is an all purpose cleaner and Valet Pro citrus pre wash does come under that acronym just like lots of other citrus cleaners and also green star.

Your vinyl cleaner will be fine on steering wheel however you want to look at something like an APC for the wheel, I know pro detailers who use auto smart g101 on interiors all the time so I wouldn't always trust Larry as he will have different OPINIONS to other people about what is sutable and what is not, if your tryin a product for the first time do some research and test on an out of sight area if you wish
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
AOCBMG
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Thanks again

So far I've been using all the products neat, should I be diluting anything else?
AOCBMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again

So far I've been using all the products neat, should I be diluting anything else?
I dont know what products youve got so cant tell you as some come diluted and come dont, e.g car pro PERL comes undiluted but other trim and rubber dressing come allready to use.

ValetPRO citrus pre wash comes Undiluted so you can mix your own but other citrus pre washed come allready mixed

A good way to tell is read the instructions

Undiluted should be the stuff you want as you can mix your own, e.g I use Valet pro citrus pre was 1:10 for interior 1:5 exterior and 1:20 for fabric

Car pro PERl 1:1 for tyres 1:3 for rubber and 1:6 for interior and 1:5 for leather

So you can see from the 1 product of undiluted car pro perl ive made 4 separate solutions essentially 4 different products

Im not paying them to ship water ill add that my self, helps keep costs down etc
Old 14-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
AOCBMG
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Im not paying them to ship water ill add that my self, helps keep costs down etc
I paid for water :'(

There aren't any diluting instructions on the products i've got (so far) most of it is autoglym, straight from halfords so i guess its ready to use.

i've got some autofinesse which in his video's he seems to just use neat so again i guess ready to use.

But i can definitely see the merits of diluting your own so i'll look out for it in the future
Old 14-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
I paid for water :'(

There aren't any diluting instructions on the products i've got (so far) most of it is autoglym, straight from halfords so i guess its ready to use.

i've got some autofinesse which in his video's he seems to just use neat so again i guess ready to use.

But i can definitely see the merits of diluting your own so i'll look out for it in the future
More than likely your stuff is already diluted.

if your serious about maintaining your car then undiluted is usualy best for things like snow foam, apc/prewash, Wheel cleaner andtrim dressing, as they will be used frequently you will be supprised how quick you can use up the already diluted stuff.

Talking about APC, for crappy jobs like arch linning or engine bay I use ASDA smart price APC its 25p per litre thats 4 litre for £1 and I usual dilute it 1:4 for arches and engine bay, I also use it to clean out my wash buckets evey month, clean my brushes/grit guards and most other equipment as its cheap and works.

For applying tyre dressing ASDA also do a pack of smart price sponges 8 for 40p, cut it in half and do 2 tyres with the one half and the other 2 tyres with the other half and then bin it, ive tried special tyre dressing applicators and they are expensive and because they are expensive you want to keep them but who wants to keep a dirty sponge with tyre dressing in it, its slimy and not nice so by cheap use once and bin.

Obviously for paint you want the best foam you can get but tires are tires and are not fussy
Old 14-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
AOCBMG
Sponge Jockey

Garage
OK so first wash on my car & a couple of photo's to show the current state of it.

does anyone know what the black stuff on the wheels / exhaust is?

I tried, pre-wash, snowfoam, iron out & wheel cleaner a lot of it came off but the rest wasn't for budging

paint work is swirly to say the least, other than a few stone chips it looks in tact though.

Old 14-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
suds

Garage
Neglected wheels often need more than one hit - did you agitate the wheel cleaner?
suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
AOCBMG
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Yea, i gave it a couple of goes with the wheel cleaner & a lot of agitation, i've got an autoglym wheel brush, so was using that.

Is it just a case of a little more will come off with each go?
Old 15-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #19
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Yea, i gave it a couple of goes with the wheel cleaner & a lot of agitation, i've got an autoglym wheel brush, so was using that.

Is it just a case of a little more will come off with each go?
The exhaust is covered in carbon deposits and the wheels have brake dust that has etched in to the surface from the looks of it you need something a bit more aggressive something acid based to be honest, try eagle one etching mag wheel cleaner, if you can find it, or something like this

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/wonder-wheels-500ml?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Cleaning-_-Wheel+&+Tyre+Cleaning-_-140657&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=liwlpm&istBid=tzxw&_$ja=tsi d:94971|cid:865695745|agid:43902125215|tidla-327137103587|crid:202397318322|nw:g|rnd:1611927430 8424834378|dvc:c|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:1006563&gclid=EAI aIQobChMIofnCztfu3AIVTLTtCh1cnQagEAQYAyABEgIfkvD_B wE

Once you have them clean then seal them with something and then use a wheel soap or gentle wheel cleaner.

Exhaust has carbon depoists and you can atack it in a similar way to your wheels, the acidic cleaner will bring alot of but youll need to polish it after and use the same sealant on it as you used on your wheels to seal it.

Get some peek metal polish for the exhaust once cleaner with your acid wheel cleaner and give it a good polish.

Your paint will need polishing, you can use a glaze by hand to cover the swirls up a bit.

Tags
deep clean, newbie, polish, wax