Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here

Old 21-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #21
greymda
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

depending on what’s your experience and where you’d do it: indoors or outside.

if outdoors and no experience with DA: i would go for 3D speed/rupes uno aio as it’s a breeze to use and no problems under the sun. yes, less cut but it will do well.

if indoors and experience: meguairs ultimate compound and full detail process.
greymda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #22
bellguy
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Did a BMW 140 in black recently and it was about the same in the right light.

I used Sonax cut max and an orange hex logic pad, finished very nicely and followed it with another pass with a white pad then lsp
All swirls and holograms gone, an odd one or two deeper marks left but you needed to be only inches away to see them,
Looking at your photograph you should be able to get excellent results, just take your time, it's not a race, red really pops when polished.

Problem is everyone has their own favourite products and methods so you will always get multiple choices out of these kind of threads.
Best advice anyone can give is start with the least aggressive pad/Polish and adjust if required, you can polish a bit more off but you can never put it back
bellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellguy For This Useful Post:
Stevoraith (21-03-2021), Zebra (08-04-2021)
Old 21-03-2021, 11:15 PM   #23
Stevoraith
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymda View Post
depending on whatís your experience and where youíd do it: indoors or outside.

if outdoors and no experience with DA: i would go for 3D speed/rupes uno aio as itís a breeze to use and no problems under the sun. yes, less cut but it will do well.

if indoors and experience: meguairs ultimate compound and full detail process.

Iíll do it indoors over the course of a couple of days.
Iíve machined probably eight or ten cars in my time but itís been four or five years since Iíve done one.

Iíll take my time and definitely plan on doing a full decon process etc before I start.
Stevoraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #24
noorth
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoraith View Post
Managed to get a couple of quick pics of the paint in the sun today.

Does anyone’s advice change now that they’ve seen the condition of the paint?

It doesn’t look that bad day-to-day but when the right light catches it the swirls are definitely there!
If you like something that has been made popular but some of the big detailers in the USA. They don't all agree. But sonax cutmax with a wool or microfiber pad followed by sonax perfect finish and rupes yellow foam pad are a good bet.

Has would a number of polishes. I'm sure Koch's H9 and M3, i think it is, will work just has well. But i have the sonax stuff, joy to work with. Easy wipeoff. For my 2 to 3 passes of 50cmx50cm sections in about 45-60 seconds. Before wipeoff. Much like the rupes system with there standard test spot.

I would do a 2 step with that paint personally.

Enjoy! It will be fun getting all those swirls out!!

Whats your LSP?

Edit: Maybe i should read your post. lol I've been told a lot of good things about Menzerna fast gloss 400 for heavy 1 step correction. Scholls s2 black is another heavier 1 step compound that is new to the market. Jescar correcting compound on hard clears is another that comes up often. All german stuff haha.

3D one too. You can cut with a microfiber and swap out to a foam polishing pad to finish out using the same polish on the panel. I never used 3D one like that though before.

Last edited by noorth; 22-03-2021 at 11:59 AM.
noorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noorth For This Useful Post:
Citromark (23-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #25
Stevoraith
PC Perfectionist

Thought Iíd update this to let everyone know what products I ended up using and show the results I achieved.

In all honesty there was so much advice on this thread that I couldnít make up my mind which advice to take.

So I played it safe and went with what I know and bought another bottle of Menzerna PO203S medium polish.

I found that on a chemical guys hex logic orange pad it gave a good amount of correction while leaving a decent finish.
I tried on a white hex logic pad first and found that it didnít give enough cut.

There are still some deeper RDSs left and the finish isnít perfect.
If I had more time (and a paint depth gauge) Iíd have used a polish with more cut and then refined with a finishing polish but as it was this took around 20hours (including prep and waxing) so that was quite long enough!

Iíd say Iíve achieved 90% correction and left a nice glossy finish that Iím happy with.

I topped with two coats of Collinite 476s.

Iíll let the pics do the talking.

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave, it was much appreciated (even if I ignored it all )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevoraith For This Useful Post:
Citromark (23-04-2021), Cookies (23-04-2021), Ennoch (22-04-2021), GSVHammer (23-04-2021), Zebra (23-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 11:06 PM   #26
Ennoch

Looks awesome, I'd have much preferred Melbourne Red than Estoril Blue but such is life. It's amazing how much bigger those wheels look than the 403M's too, despite being the same 19"!
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #27
Citromark
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Very nice turnaround

Mark
Citromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #28
sidewalkdances
Orbital Oracle

Looking very good - and for a daily driver - do you really need '100%' correction?

Stunning car mate - health to enjoy!
sidewalkdances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 11:04 PM   #29
Stevoraith
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Looks awesome, I'd have much preferred Melbourne Red than Estoril Blue but such is life. It's amazing how much bigger those wheels look than the 403M's too, despite being the same 19"!

Iím glad I have one of the more unusual colours, although I actually think Estoril is a nicer colour but my last two BMWs were Estoril blue so couldnít have another!
Searched for about 4 months for one that had a decent spec but wasnít a dull colour with black leather.

And I agree about the amount of correction needed for a daily driver, no point in striving for perfection on a daily.
Old 24-04-2021, 02:15 AM   #30
macmaw

Looks absolutely lovely
macmaw is offline   Reply With Quote