Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 18-03-2021, 03:31 AM   #1
WRX
Washmitt Meister

2001 Subaru Impreza WRX Bugeye project

Morning everyone, I thought I would get the ball rolling and start a thread on my Scooby. Iíve got bundles of receipts and pics to trawl through but Iíll start at the beginning before on the day before I even got the car. It was May 2018 and my brother sent me some pictures of this car he had just bought. This is one of them.

My brother buys scrap cars and strips them for parts and does recovery and car transporting. I immediately called him and he told me he had bought the car that morning after receiving a call from the owner asking how much he would pay for it. My brother explained he buys cars at scrap value which was £100 at the time but said as it was a Subaru he would offer £200 as the parts would sell easily. The owner wanted it gone that day so accepting the £200 offer and said the brakes needed attention. My brother picked the car up and took it home. It turned out to have 2 month MOT left on it and it started and seemed to drive fine. I told him Iíve always wanted an Impreza and asked him to let me buy it. We chatted about it and agreed I would take the car and do the brakes and keep it for a year and enjoy it and then he would sell it. The next day he bought the car to me and the journey with me and my Scooby began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
ALANSHR (18-03-2021), Andyblue (18-03-2021), c16rkc (26-04-2021), Ennoch (18-03-2021), hoggers (31-03-2021), LostVulpine (19-03-2021), Matt D (18-03-2021), Nozza (21-03-2021), Pp172 (18-03-2021), rob267 (18-03-2021), scooobydont (18-03-2021), Starbuck88 (18-03-2021), SunnyBoi (19-03-2021)
Old 19-03-2021, 12:20 AM   #2
NickA
Washmitt Meister

Nice cheap Scooby you got there mate. I just checked to see the MOT history/mileage and that reg doesn't come up (I put in DX51 MZD). Seems a bit odd unless it was on a private plate and the owner put the original plates on?

It's got Morette headlights on, which I would imagine are worth a few quid these days (Look much better than the original bugeye headlights!)

Looks like an original STi rear spoiler too but I'd need to see pics from the back. Has it got a single exit exhaust or the original twin pea shooters?

What's your plans for it then?
NickA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickA For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 19-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
WRX
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickA View Post
Nice cheap Scooby you got there mate. I just checked to see the MOT history/mileage and that reg doesn't come up (I put in DX51 MZD). Seems a bit odd unless it was on a private plate and the owner put the original plates on?

It's got Morette headlights on, which I would imagine are worth a few quid these days (Look much better than the original bugeye headlights!)

Looks like an original STi rear spoiler too but I'd need to see pics from the back. Has it got a single exit exhaust or the original twin pea shooters?

What's your plans for it then?

Itís got a private plate on it now so the old one wonít show up on a check. The spoiler is a replica and not original unfortunately. The exhaust has a Pro Drive back box which sounds nice, itís not really loud on tick over but has a nice sound to it and gets louder the harder you push it. My plans at that stage were just to get it MOTíd really to be honest. Iíll dig through the receipts and update the thread at the weekend. The mileage then was 78,000.

The Following User Says Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 19-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Looking forward to seeing more about this one and it's always good to hear of a Subaru being saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickA View Post

I never got the hate for the original bugeye headlights and if that car were mine the first thing I'd do is remove the Morette units. We are all different I suppose!
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 19-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,356 Times in 4,992 Posts
Looking forward to your updates and tread
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 20-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #6
WRX
Washmitt Meister

Thanks for the nice comments. Iíve just been looking through the house folder with all the receipts which was a pain as the wife had thrown all the paperwork from the council in the with the car paperwork because they both start with C! Iíve moved all mine to S for Subaru so it shouldnít happen again. The car was delivered and the paintwork on the spoiler was really bad and looked awful. It really let the car down massively and the front near side wing was also dented. I insured and taxed the car I got an oil & filter change at a local part worn tyre place with a £49 groupon and asked them to check the brakes and they came back and told me the brakes were fine and probably just needed some copper grease behind the pads. I was on a budget as I was expecting to have the car for a year so I was happy with that deal. I was now thinking that the brakes were good and started to test out the car on some B roads and all seemed good.

The Following User Says Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 29-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Ennoch
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Paperwork is scary, I've got an entire A4 plastic folder filled with over 1" receipts for mine and now I've started tearing the front suspension down that folder is only getting thicker! I just picked up some hubs from your favourite JDM breaker but did discover that they charge more for used ABS sensors than you can buy them new for from ICP! It's amazing how some breaker prices really aren't far away from what you can buy new for; i.e rear subframes are £200+ used and £290 new including fresh bushes etc!

Have you still got the stock brakes on there?
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)
Old 29-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
WRX
Washmitt Meister

When you buy from Jap they are genuine parts and if not itís made clear but not everything ICP sell are genuine parts. You need to check that they are definitely genuine Subaru parts. Something like a rear subframe id personally want it to be genuine. Iíve upgraded my discs and pads on the front.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021), Ennoch (29-03-2021)
Old 29-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
WRX
Washmitt Meister

Continuing on from the oil service a day later I heard an almighty clunk on the car. I took it to my local independent garage and asked them to check it out and they took the brakes apart and cleaned the rears up and put them back together with a new pad fitting kit. They advised me the front callipers had seized and I needed new callipers. They also told me the car had a lot of rust on the underside and it probably wasnít worth doing the brakes as It wouldnít go through an MOT which was due the following month. I thought the best thing to do was just to take it for an MOT and see what the score was with it. I booked an MOT at a local MOT centre for that week and kept my fingers crossed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRX For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021), Ennoch (29-03-2021)
Old 29-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
Ennoch
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX View Post
When you buy from Jap they are genuine parts and if not itís made clear but not everything ICP sell are genuine parts. You need to check that they are definitely genuine Subaru parts. Something like a rear subframe id personally want it to be genuine. Iíve upgraded my discs and pads on the front.

The ABS sensor is so simple I'm not paying £160 for the genuine one so I know what I'm getting with it. ICP are pretty transparent with things; if it says genuine it is genuine and if it doesn't then it isn't. In the last eight years I've been buying from them I've only ever had one duff part and that was a pattern ball joint on which the rubber perished. Since then I just use genuine for stuff like that. Subaru metalwork is generally pretty reasonable (like lower arms including pins, bolts and genuine rear bushes inc housings for £120 a side) so the rear subframe is a genuine Subaru part which I would definitely choose over a used one. Not a complaint against JPP, just that before blindly paying a breaker on the assumption that they're going to be cheapest it's best to double check against genuine! Dash pockets were another one; breakers selling them as 'rare' for £30 when you could get new for £15.
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (26-04-2021)