Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Photography Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Photography Zone Digital Photo Techniques/Tech Help

Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
JoeyJoeJo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

There are lot of professionals and talented photographers using the smaller bodied mirrorless cameras with excellent results. I don't think the quality should be the primary concern, it's *your* use case and what will work for *you*. (IMHO obvs)

I can't remember which photographer said it but the best camera is the one you have with you. One of the reasons I like the mirrorless, so easy to take and use, I've seen many people buy dslr that are just too cumbersome (for them) for day to day that it mostly lives in a drawer or a camera bag at the bottom of the wardrobe.
JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,075 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_the_great View Post
On from the previous what are people thoughts on Olympus cameras? they seem to be mirrorless king ? and i maybe able to get discount around the 25% mark.
I really like their m43 gear. I've had an Olympus OM-D E-M1 for four years now, sold all my previously owned Canon gear and jumped ship completely, far lighter and easier to carry.

Canon and Nikon have the edge when it come to tracking autofocus and moving subjects though, so it depends on what you will be taking pictures of.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
voon

Garage
Technically, I'd say the camera body is the least important bit. Sure, if you absolutly need 57483 point autofocus or think you'll do a lot of pictures with more than 1/8000, then there's things to consider, but generally, a good current nikon, canon, whatever ... they'll all work great. I'd rather check for the things you need (good grip for your hand size, easily reachable buttons and enough of them for easy shortcuts etc). The way more important thing is proper glassware .. and that's where the expensive stuff lies.

Also: The really nice fotos come from artistic feel and sense. People with that can make a 1000 times better pictures with a smartphone, than newbies with DSLRs :P I cringe everytime I see someone presenting his car in front of too many traffic signs, a supermarket in the back or trashcans etc .. that cut every line and completely ignore any sense of lines in the image etc ... that's where good fotos come from, not expensive cams.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Tom_the_great

Morning All,

Totally agree with what people have said, No point having a big flashy camera if A you dont use it or B you can't use it .... without trying to sound big headed I've had my trusty bridge for a number of years (circa 5) and I can take pretty good photos get better all the time everything is manually adjusted and hence the upgrade it now can't do what I need. (I will see if I can get on dropbox)

I've got a couple of books which have helped greatly.

Currently im looking at the Cannon 750D with one STD lense vs Olympus O-MD E-M10 Mark III comes with 2 lenses short and long (this is only due to prospect of 25% discount). In my mind the Cannon offers greater back up and support but is now a 2015 model and it is pushing the budget, the Olympus is this years model but maybe not as well support from my searches.

Thoughts?
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #15
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Morning All,

Totally agree with what people have said, No point having a big flashy camera if A you dont use it or B you can't use it .... without trying to sound big headed I've had my trusty bridge for a number of years (circa 5) and I can take pretty good photos get better all the time everything is manually adjusted and hence the upgrade it now can't do what I need. (I will see if I can get on dropbox)

I've got a couple of books which have helped greatly.

Currently im looking at the Cannon 750D with one STD lense vs Olympus O-MD E-M10 Mark III comes with 2 lenses short and long (this is only due to prospect of 25% discount). In my mind the Cannon offers greater back up and support but is now a 2015 model and it is pushing the budget, the Olympus is this years model but maybe not as well support from my searches.

Thoughts?
Which specific lenses come with the Olympus?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
voon

Garage
As for the 750D: Not sure how that entry level is these days .. I had a 350D back then. Technically, these are sound cams that can do pretty much anything a hobby photographer like me needs, no issues there. But they used to be fairly small and offer a reduced amount of buttons. That's why I then upgraded toa 60D back then. If you look at a current 80D, you'll immediatly see the increased amounts of buttons on the back and on top (and possibly bodysize if it's like always with canons, I haven't checked). This made a huge difference for me in "Just go out and use it"-Feel, instead of "Dang it's smallish to hold and I have to go through menus too often".

I strongly consider going to a shop and actually hold them and check what the increased buttons etc offer. My upgrade to the 60D had absolutly nothing to do with any technical needs, but I wanted it bigger and more accessible. That added alot of "fun factor" and feeling at home.

And again, glass. I went from the 17-85 kit objective to a higher quality 15-85 objective. The difference in clarity and sharpness was very intense. It made pictures with the old one, that felt like "Oh this is a nice picture" suddenly feel like "Man, this is sharp and sexy".

Last edited by voon; 06-12-2017 at 09:47 AM.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Tom_the_great

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
As for the 750D: Not sure how that entry level is these days .. I had a 350D back then. Technically, these are sound cams that can do pretty much anything a hobby photographer like me needs, no issues there. But they used to be fairly small and offer a reduced amount of buttons. That's why I then upgraded toa 60D back then. If you look at a current 80D, you'll immediatly see the increased amounts of buttons on the back and on top (and possibly bodysize if it's like always with canons, I haven't checked). This made a huge difference for me in "Just go out and use it"-Feel, instead of "Dang it's smallish to hold and I have to go through menus too often".

I strongly consider going to a shop and actually hold them and check what the increased buttons etc offer. My upgrade to the 60D had absolutly nothing to do with any technical needs, but I wanted it bigger and more accessible. That added alot of "fun factor" and feeling at home.

And again, glass. I went from the 17-85 kit objective to a higher quality 15-85 objective. The difference in clarity and sharpness was very intense. It made pictures with the old one, that felt like "Oh this is a nice picture" suddenly feel like "Man, this is sharp and sexy".
I have with a few cannons in the past and have been to currys recently to look at the 750D, they didnt the exact olympus but a few of the smaller ones for refernace still trying to track down a shop with the same model in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Which specific lenses come with the Olympus?
https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/camera...ouble-zoom-kit
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom_the_great For This Useful Post:
steelghost (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Venkman
Washmitt Meister

Personally, I’d go for the Olympus. Compact, newer technology and the kit lenses I’ve tried from Olympus are far superior to offerings from Canon. I’ve had two Canon xxxD bodies and the ergonomics are quite limiting. If you can find a used xxD body from Canon this might be a better option if you want to go with a DSLR.

I hope you enjoy whichever one you go for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
On from the previous what are people thoughts on Olympus cameras? they seem to be mirrorless king ? and i maybe able to get discount around the 25% mark.
Do you get a discount on any cameras/lenses or just particular kits?

If you had a free choice I would go with the E-M10 II body and a 25mm f/1.8 lens. This doesn't give you a zoom, but it does give you a lens that will get you results in darker conditions, and is top notch, optically. The zooms in the kit are only really going to be much use in good sunlight. Anything significantly darker and the camera will have to push up the ISO (meaning increased noise) and increase shutter speed (increasing likelihood of blurred subject and camera shake).

BTW your money will go a lot further on the 2nd hand market eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-O...wAAOSwS0lZ4n~u
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-M...QAAOSwySlaJcwu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
If you think you will become quite serious with the hobby, stick with a Canon or Nikon DSLR. The range of lenses available are far greater than with the current crop of mirrorless and you have the opportunity to upgrade through the bodies as you max out the features but still retain use of the lenses. The second hand market is strong too for both buying and selling your gear.

For £400-600 the entry level 750D with 18-55mm kit lens is right in the ball park http://amzn.to/2j1uYeG

The kit lens is plenty sharp enough for you to hone your skills, the camera has full manual and bulb modes, it captures 14-bit RAW files and is supported by Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop which are much better alternatives to Canon's own software offering.
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote