Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Photography Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Photography Zone Digital Photo Techniques/Tech Help

Old 02-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
You already have a fairly new DSLR which is very capable so the upgrade to a 5D/6D series might not give the same back in value terms. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II on the other hand is probably the best lens I have ever bought, so much so that I call it the money shot maker! In my opinion, there isn't any other lens in the 70-200 spectrum (including primes) that can beat it on image quality at f/2.8 or below.

Yes it is a bit of a beast but the 70-200 produces the most amazing shots. The quality of the lens easily outresolves the sensor, there is minimal if any chromatic aberration and the sharpness is spot on - on portrait shots I actually introduce some softness because it captures the pores on skin in phenomenal detail. Have you looked at buying an imported lens from DigitalRev or HDEW? Canon provide worldwide warranties on their lenses so you won't have any issues getting with servicing, etc. at a UK Canon centre.

Something to bear in mind with the tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8s is the level of focus breathing and whether you get true 200mm at the top end. I only have experience of the Canon but Tony Northrup did a video on all three and found there to be some shortcomings with the non-Canon lenses
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jr2007 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,790 Times in 3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
Well liked my eos70d and 18-200mm lens, but I know won’t to get a 24-70 and f2.8 70-200 and as much as I would love L series lenses I just can’t justify the cost.
So do I go Sigma that I have been very pleased with in past or venture into Tamaron?

The other one I really want to explore full frame but 5D again to expensive, so 6D mk2 , I want for fast Fran a decent video as well but mostly stills.
So for me car events and good wood and holidays and family pics, 6.5fps close to my 70d so ok with 6mk2

Should I just get the f2.8 lenses and that will make massive difference or will the non Full frame mean it’s f4+?

I was not sure if the combo of both would be a big step up for me
To point, you kind of get what you pay for - so if you're wanting a F2.8, then this is what you need to go for - choose either new or 2nd hand and this can make a difference...

Having just said that - have you thought about the Canon 70-200 F4, which they do as IS and non IS - non IS 2nd hand, £350 ish... A superb lens and was my first L series lens and the only reason I sold it was to buy the new F2.8 version (if I could have afforded to keep it, I would) - not a major issue being F4, but the F2.8 is better in low light, but it's a beast of a lens...

With regards to your crop body and question re F2.8 being F4 - No, still F2.8, it's the "apparent" focal length that alters with a crop body, so for ease of maths - a 100mm lens on full frame is 100mm, on a crop, i.e. apparent to 160mm (but will still be same F number).

It's a shame your so far away, you could have had a try with a couple of mine to see what you thought...

I'd decide what lens you'd ideally like - focal length, do you want IS or not (if an option), F number etc then go from there...

Something father in law told me when I started out, buy cheap, buy twice ! Don't go buying something that will do, if you want something else...

Any more questions, ask away
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,245 Times in 5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post
You already have a fairly new DSLR which is very capable so the upgrade to a 5D/6D series might not give the same back in value terms. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II on the other hand is probably the best lens I have ever bought, so much so that I call it the money shot maker! In my opinion, there isn't any other lens in the 70-200 spectrum (including primes) that can beat it on image quality at f/2.8 or below.

Yes it is a bit of a beast but the 70-200 produces the most amazing shots. The quality of the lens easily outresolves the sensor, there is minimal if any chromatic aberration and the sharpness is spot on - on portrait shots I actually introduce some softness because it captures the pores on skin in phenomenal detail. Have you looked at buying an imported lens from DigitalRev or HDEW? Canon provide worldwide warranties on their lenses so you won't have any issues getting with servicing, etc. at a UK Canon centre.

Something to bear in mind with the tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8s is the level of focus breathing and whether you get true 200mm at the top end. I only have experience of the Canon but Tony Northrup did a video on all three and found there to be some shortcomings with the non-Canon lenses Tamron, Sigma & Canon 70-200 f/2.8 Portrait Lens Review: Do you need the name brand? - YouTube
Thanks for the info, I have read a few reviews and this is why I asked for advice as some saying the tamaron not good for motorsport etc and others saying ok with stabilisation off.
Yes was aware of grey import route and have used in past for non glass and body purchases, was not aware ok to get warranty and repairs in UK know so good to know, and would be happy to buy from the two you mentioned as looked at them before.
I will have a look at this tonight , its probably like a which wax thread on the photo forums
So with body I was kind of happy to retain and even if I was to get 6d in future would likely keep the 70d as back up.
So the most I will gain is quality glass first and see what that does.
What other really good wide angles are there out there?

So this is the one?

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-...-usm-496-p.asp

At that price not a lot more than UK tamaron one and I suppose keep value well?

Last edited by Derekh929; 02-03-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
To point, you kind of get what you pay for - so if you're wanting a F2.8, then this is what you need to go for - choose either new or 2nd hand and this can make a difference...

Having just said that - have you thought about the Canon 70-200 F4, which they do as IS and non IS - non IS 2nd hand, £350 ish... A superb lens and was my first L series lens and the only reason I sold it was to buy the new F2.8 version (if I could have afforded to keep it, I would) - not a major issue being F4, but the F2.8 is better in low light, but it's a beast of a lens...

With regards to your crop body and question re F2.8 being F4 - No, still F2.8, it's the "apparent" focal length that alters with a crop body, so for ease of maths - a 100mm lens on full frame is 100mm, on a crop, i.e. apparent to 160mm (but will still be same F number).

It's a shame your so far away, you could have had a try with a couple of mine to see what you thought...

I'd decide what lens you'd ideally like - focal length, do you want IS or not (if an option), F number etc then go from there...

Something father in law told me when I started out, buy cheap, buy twice ! Don't go buying something that will do, if you want something else...

Any more questions, ask away
Thanks for the Info, yes it seems everyone thinking body fine but improve glass good to know as may free up some monies for a drone

I though about the F4 but I just loved the blurred back ground shots taking car pics etc and struggling with current lens with that, also need to do some panning when away at motorsport stuff.
I would be happy with used if im honest and have been looking at wex etc used one. So IS would be best for me? if doing motor sport or fast moving stuff, also other lens to complement this one at 20mm upwards, thanks Derek
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I have read a few reviews and this is why I asked for advice as some saying the tamaron not good for motorsport etc and others saying ok with stabilisation off.
Yes was aware of grey import route and have used in past for non glass and body purchases, was not aware ok to get warranty and repairs in UK know so good to know, and would be happy to buy from the two you mentioned as looked at them before.
I will have a look at this tonight , its probably like a which wax thread on the photo forums
So with body I was kind of happy to retain and even if I was to get 6d in future would likely keep the 70d as back up.
So the most I will gain is quality glass first and see what that does.
What other really good wide angles are there out there?

So this is the one?

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-...-usm-496-p.asp

At that price not a lot more than UK tamaron one and I suppose keep value well?
That's the one from HDEW, incredible price too! I bought my old 60D and current 7D MkII from them when it came out and both have been faultless. My uncle got both a 5D II and 5D III from them and equally had great experiences.

You might find you would be better off sticking with the 70D until you can go for a 5D MkIV upgrade, assuming you want to buy new. My personal opinion is that too many compromises have been made in the 6D to stop it undercutting 5D sales for it to be a viable option. It's still a lot of money and for that you could get a decent condition used 5D III, a much better proposition for the same cash.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the Info, yes it seems everyone thinking body fine but improve glass good to know as may free up some monies for a drone

I though about the F4 but I just loved the blurred back ground shots taking car pics etc and struggling with current lens with that, also need to do some panning when away at motorsport stuff.
I would be happy with used if im honest and have been looking at wex etc used one. So IS would be best for me? if doing motor sport or fast moving stuff, also other lens to complement this one at 20mm upwards, thanks Derek
In general terms the need for IS is heavily reduced when shooting with a fast shutter speed such as when outdoors. However if you are regularly shooting at the 200m range, you can still get a small amount of camera shake even at relatively high shutter speeds. I consider IS to be a safety net, it won't correct big movements but it will keep your shots in check when you are close to the limit.

For wider angle lenses, IS is not needed as much because the perceptibility of camera shake blur is far less. However as mentioned IS is always useful to have as a safety net! If the budget stretches, a 16-35mm f/4L IS delivers fantastic image quality for a relatively small cost (in terms of L lenses).
The Following User Says Thank You to jr2007 For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,790 Times in 3,790 Posts
Quote:

For panning, generally no to IS as you're moving, the new F2.8 MKII has several options for IS, but I tend to switch all off, unless doing a slow pan to blur the background and give a real sense of speed of the car - even then, only tend to use it if it's cold and I'm struggling to keep perfectly still

IS is brilliant for stationary shots at low shutter speeds and def worth while, but tends to carry a price tag over the non IS version...

If you're doing car stationary shots and really want a blurred background, then the simple 50mm F1.8 isn't be missed
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post
That's the one from HDEW, incredible price too! I bought my old 60D and current 7D MkII from them when it came out and both have been faultless. My uncle got both a 5D II and 5D III from them and equally had great experiences.

You might find you would be better off sticking with the 70D until you can go for a 5D MkIV upgrade, assuming you want to buy new. My personal opinion is that too many compromises have been made in the 6D to stop it undercutting 5D sales for it to be a viable option. It's still a lot of money and for that you could get a decent condition used 5D III, a much better proposition for the same cash.
Yes that's what I was worried about with the body the sensor may not be a big jump form my 70d with consumer full frame entry point, also some say view finder 98 not 100% , yes I would love a 5D III or IV but at present could not justifie that cost when I have another big toy in the garage I enjoy immensely
Yes may well just go lens first then wait till next version of the 5d out and the current drops a bit to allow me to justify getting one.

Yes I think the price at wex £1,979 at present if exactly the same, at the £1,200 mark I might be tempted at the canon but at £1,700 plus not a chance for my use. The weather proofing is in the back of my mind as I used to like taking pics of trawlers in stormy weather entering ports years and years ago with the eos10

Last edited by Derekh929; 02-03-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Yes that's what I was worried about with the body the sensor may not be a big jump form my 70d with consumer full frame entry point, also some say view finder 98 not 100% , yes I would love a 5D III or IV but at present could not justifie that cost when I have another big toy in the garage I enjoy immensely
Yes may well just go lens first then wait till next version of the 5d out and the current drops a bit to allow me to justify getting one.

Yes I think the price at wex £1,979 at present if exactly the same, at the £1,200 mark I might be tempted at the canon but at £1,700 plus not a chance for my use. The weather proofing is in the back of my mind as I used to like taking pics of trawlers in stormy weather entering ports years and years ago with the eos10
I've used the 70-200 in torrential storms in Bali, as long as you have a decent protection filter on the front like this http://amzn.to/2HYVCg3 you won't have any problems in the wet (obviously body weather-proofing permitted!).
Old 02-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
To help you pull the trigger on the 70-200, I'll post a couple of pics I took with it in the stickied post. Without meaning to sound like a broken record, I really do think it's the best lens within its focal range.