Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 12-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Al_G
Washmitt Meister

Ceramic Coating Query

Hey!

My car resprayed by a bodyshop and ceramic coated (Gtechniq v3 rings a bell) by a detailer a few years back. As it lives under a car cover in the garage and I only do a couple of hundred miles a year during the summer months the coating is holding up really well. In truth itís still as good as the day I picked up the car. I was told at the time it would last 5 years but as the car is rarely used I presume itíll far exceed that.

Anyway, fast forward to Thursday just gone and the car was driven to my local dealer for its MOT. On the way home I unfortunately (just my luck) hit something on the bypass which took a chunk out of the front bumper. Iíve subsequently booked the car in for a bumper respray but obviously Iíll need to apply some protection to the bumper once itís back in my possession. As the rest of the car is ceramic coated Iíd like to ceramic coat the bumper to replicate the finish.

Can you advise which would be the best coating to apply (ease of use vs finish vs durability)? Iíd like to give it a whirl myself rather than take it somewhere, spending even more money.

Any advise would be greatly received.

Cheers,
Alex
Al_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,287 Posts
Garage
Gtechniq EXOv4

Cheers,

Chris
Passion. Cars. Expertise.
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Al_G
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Detailing View Post
Gtechniq EXOv4

Cheers,

Chris

Awesome!

I was looking at the GTechniq Serum Light but will check out the EXOv4.

Whatís the best product for fine correction by hand?

If possible Iíd like to apply the product straight after itís been resprayed. Drying time isnít an issue as the car is stored in my garage but as the bumper is pretty small and intricate (S2000) I think itíll be easier to correct by hand than by machine. Thereís shouldnít be too many defects to correct if any.

I do own a hex orange pad and some Enigma AIO compound but there may be better options available.

Do I even need to correct?
Al_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
-Kev-

Thanked 8,879 Times in 7,001 Posts
Garage
Bodyshops never really do a good job after spraying, you'll have at least buffer trails or holograms to deal with - lack of refining after use of a heavy compound. Ideally always machine polish before coating, even if its in good condition a going over to refine the finish further is always worth doing
-Kev- is offline   Reply With Quote