Detailing World Forum banner

old/high mileage cars - lets see em!!

368K views 657 replies 420 participants last post by  slim_boy_fat 
#1 ·
thought it would be a interesting post for people to put up pics of old cars or high milers - after detailing to see what can be achieved

my old man has a 250,000 mile volvo that gets washed once a year -i have trouble even looking at it - but i'm going to set about it soon and will post up the results.

#625 · (Edited)
Some interesting wiring going on there - looks like someone has been chasing a fair few issues.

Removing the handsfree kit will improve the acceleration.

In fairness the steering wheel covering and gear stick gaiter look to be good, and the dash hasn't split so interior visuals should be pretty easy to improve. A lot of VW Golf 1/2 items in a 924 (see other project threads on here) so always check for compatible parts before paying for the 'Porsche' version from parts places.

Keep a spare DME relay in the glovebox, 90% of starting issues are down to the DME; even though the listing suggest bad fuel may be at play
https://philipraby.co.uk/porsche-dme-relays-explained/

Latest version susposedly a lot more reliable https://www.frazerpart.com/acatalog...MIvKzdk8T03wIVE-h3Ch2_kA3nEAQYASABEgLZGfD_BwE

Worth a lot more in parts than what you paid for it !

#632 ·
Here is my inclusion. Not necessarily old but is just about to tick over to 100k miles. It is the longest I have ever owned a car, although it is primarily the better half that uses it. Nearly owned for 2 years now and in that time it has been a real workhorse. This year it took us to the far West of Wales and the year prior it took us to Disneyland Paris. No intentions of getting rid anytime soon unless we struggle fitting the baby + all the baby gear when she pops out :lol:

I really do need to get some modern photos! I have had 2 different registrations on it since this one!

#637 · (Edited)
Don't see Ford RSTs around my way.......a very rare sight indeed^ :thumb:

My daily driver owned from new, a 15 year old 350z back in August this year

Sunset orange Nismo Aero kitted 350z by Andy Ten, on Flickr

Did 30k miles in the first 3 years, then got a second car for weekends due to kids arriving so mainly commuting, now at 60k miles.

Wheels were put on nearly 12 years ago but still looking fresh
Stolen plates by Andy Ten, on Flickr

#639 · (Edited)
:lol:This is my old girl an A3, 2.0 sport. She be 15 this year

Daily driver covering approximately 8k miles year

Clean mot sheet with no advisories in my ownership ... 6 years.
I guess its a testament to Audi build quality, though now dated, the interior is pristine with little sign of ware, rattles or shakes.

Same can't be said about the chassis .. there's a knock at the front end which I suspect maybe a wishbone bush :confused: .. need to get it jacked up to investigate

Full story here .... :lol:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=348112&page=31

#640 ·
Well it's been just over a year and another 12k put on my E320 so it's now on about 142,000 miles. Not bad in it's nearly 17 year life and it's still going strong. Re-mapped in the Autumn of 2018, it's averaged 45mpg across 15,000 miles and goes better than ever.

Headlights will be due another polish in the spring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.