Detailing World Forum banner

KDS Detailing , This could well be the most work KDS will ever carry out on a car!

76K views 152 replies 125 participants last post by  Buffy McPolish 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well and getting ready for the summer season ahead.

Warning,

Have you got the next 30-60 minutes free, if the answer is no then come back when you have.
If you have got the spare time then get ready for a very large comprehensive write up , and I hope you enjoy and pick up a few bits and bobs along the way

So are you ready for the next instalment from Kelly @ KDS?

I guess you must be so now let's go on a journey of Porsche 930 turbo loveliness.

The car is question is owned by the same customer that owns these too

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191236

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=185631

This time the car was bought on a whim and it's a car that the owner had always said to himself that one day it would be in his collection.
It was bought knowing that it was coming straight to KDS from the sellers residence, after my initial inspection it seem to be that the car would need a lot more work than the paperwork and service history portrayed.
I few phone calls and emails to the customer to let him know the outcome, the reply from the owner was well "now that I have you fixing my cars I don't worry myself anymore about my car collection , in fact my cars sell better once they have had the KDS magic"
So it was then I set together the KDS team to start on this epic job that ended up taking months to complete to our standards.

So here goes on to the before pics ,

So as you can see it's a bit sorry for its self and we have not even got onto the paint condition yet.

Had different coloured bulbs in headlights.

I was given a list of jobs to do on the car which had more than 20 separate items well this had grown a lot by the time I got involved.

End of part one

Kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

See less See more
#2 ·
Part two

Here is the bodywork after wash viewed in direct sunlight.

The next sections may not be in the correct order of actual work they are more in files of each type of process which makes it easier to process and label , but doe mess up the order of work slightly

Ie the correction work was one of the last things to be done , but is next to be shown.

We would always finish the correction last , OR we would carry out the first stages of correction knowing that it may pick up a tiny bit of marring so leave just the refinement till the last process on the car.

Here are a few correction shots and repaint of rear whale tail grill

Here are the interior shots during the refurbishment process.

And here is the interior after refurb.

So the end of part two

Kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#3 ·
Part three

Here are the mechanical photos of what I was up against, and how large the task was going to be.

So onto the customers list and the other items KDS found that need addressing.

Bonnet strut change

Fog light lens change

Start of rust removal

Suspension and brake components

Front brake and wheel bearing strip down

Rear wiper removal

Wheel bearing / brakes / driveshaft and under seal section next.

Witness the classic very poor mechanical workmanship in the next sections

The so called full service history means not a lot when its been carried out by cowboys.

Why cant work carried out on vehicles be to at least an acceptable standard is it that hard to ask?

New and old seal

Nice fitment of old seal

Wheel bearing being pressed in

Checking the bearing is fully home against its matting face.

Bearing all in and greased up ready for seal to be fitted

New brake pads

New brake pipes made up in house

All fitted back together

Driveshaft refurbishment

Car all under sealed

As I said these are not in order so some photos will be out of sink slightly, but with over 200 mechanical photos to run through and the work carried out over a year ago it's a huge task trying to place them in correct order that makes sense to people viewing

End of part three

Kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#4 ·
Part four

Still with the mechanical work that was carried out on the car.

Heat exchangers to be replaced

Rear suspension strip down.

The owner had said that its been lowered and sits too low for his liking and wanted to put back to standard ride height while we in the refurb process.

These cars have fully adjustable rear suspension straight from the factory

Strip down process.

All of the matting faces where clean up and made a smooth as possible to help with easy adjustment in the future .

One of the adjusting cam bolts

The torsion bars where both marked and placed back evenly , then the swinging arms where also placed on end on torsion bars in exactly same place.

Once the components where all assembled we set the adjustment in the middle settings

The rear brakes had the same treatment as the front here is finished

Rear swinging arms all painted

New rear shocks fitted

Another part of rear suspension being cleaned

Gearbox being cleaned

One of the items on the list was to get the AIR CON working.

So after a quick investigation things where not looking great.

The system had no gas what so ever

The clutch electromagnet wiring was not connected

The clutch its self for the compressor was shot

The housing for the compressor had seen some action in the past too

The decision was taken to remove the compressor completely hand it over to customer to get a replacement, you will notice in the finished photos the compressor is not fitted as I was waiting for the parts to come back.

Here are some underneath photos of the car progressing slowly

Heat exchangers in , driveshafts in getting better and better

Car now sits at correct ride height

Now it was time for topside of engine bay and a few little bits and bobs to finish off the car.

Intercooler re-paint

Air box re-paint

Grill repaint

Rear lens change with inside clean and new screws

So just when I thought I was getting to the end of this project the owner decided to give me a new surprise in the form of this

So back on the ramp for yet more mechanical work

This task did not go as straight forward as I would of hoped.

The complete exhaust system holds the turbo in whats meant to be the correct postion for evey other item to line up ie oil fed , air pipes and the exhaust.

My years in the car repair trade told me that it was going to be tricky trying to remove the exhaust when its been on there for over 20 years

Here is the exhaust removed

I had to cut most of the exhaust off as nothing would undo , and any nuts that where still the shape that I could actual get some kind of bite on would then just snap the studs instead

The 930 turbos run an external waste gate which would need to be saved back to fit to new system

So this meant removing the old snapped studs and replacing with new ones

Studs cut flush to remove the gasket plate

Plate removed

Then a careful drill out of studs
You will be able to see that the holes that have cracks in I decide to helicoil with solid type helicoil.

New studs in

Then I had to remove the oil feed and return for turbo and another oil feed pipe for oil cooler as part of the exhaust change.

After many attempts to undo the pipe even using heat it did not want to move

I ended up very slowly carefully cutting the nut with small disc cutter to split the nut

New pipe fitted

Then it was onto fitment of exhaust system, which yet again did not fit perfect.

So a bit of alteration

Finally exhaust system fitted

So that's the mechanical section over and another end to a part four

Kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#5 ·
Right the last section

Part five the finished car

In the sun directly , this clearly shows the level gone to on this car

And then for the photos indoors

So there we have it all finished.

This I hope shows what we can offer at KDS all in one car , (apart from repainting) this car really has had most things car related all in one visit.

Any question fire away and I will do my best to answer then when I can,

Please if you have questions ask on the forum as the tread seems to be once I have posted I get a lot of PM's asking privately the questions , I would prefer to answer them publicly then everyone can see them ad I am sure that more than one person is thinking of the same questions.

And lastly many thanks for reading as without the readers my threads would be worthless.

I have plans for the KDS staff to join DW under their own name ie Kons @ KDS /Paul @ KDS in line with my log on as we intend to have more than one person from KDS detailing posting work up in the future and answering question , this will be part of the expansion within the group.

Kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#102 ·
WOW, thats all I can say. Are you based anywhere near Lepsons ?
Yep next to lepsons , is was there years before lepsons but its become a lepsons estate now that they have 7 units :doublesho

Some major work gone in to that! Hats off to you guys!! What a cool cool looking car!
That is stunning Kelly, like Clarke, I will have to read through this evening but the finished article has such depth to the paint finish. Glad to hear that more regular writeups will be coming soon and that the business is expanding so well.

Cheers

Tim
Subbed for a PROPER read later.

So far, so awesome. It's a fairly safe bet, if I won the lottery I know what I'd get up to with a lot of the cash... Imagine all your dream "old" cars given this sort of treatment!
Thanks guys ,
also dont know why you would think you need to win the lottery to have such work done :thumb:

you would be surprised

kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#140 · (Edited)
So far, so awesome. It's a fairly safe bet, if I won the lottery I know what I'd get up to with a lot of the cash... Imagine all your dream "old" cars given this sort of treatment!
Thanks guys ,
also dont know why you would think you need to win the lottery to have such work done :thumb:

you would be surprised

kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk
This story made me think of this thread, and my initial reaction to it... surely this would be another contender for the KDS works! :thumb: :D Plus, according to the estimates, there's £120k more for this car in top nick. Nudge, wink...

http://www.prestigedealers.co.uk/ne...rtin-db5-could-fetch-200k?utm_source=outbrain

#103 ·
Thanks

well the truth is it can be very stressfully to carryout such work on a wide range of cars and meet deadlines , i have been told by a customer that i am like the man in the circus spining all those plates and keeping them from falling

Wowwww,awesome work......
looks amazing, what a great thorough job!! :p

just out of interest, im detailing an audi a3 next week and the tailpipe is going a bit rusty and dirty from lack of cleaning, what would you recommend to use as ive got metal polish etc but dont feel thatll be up to the job...

cheers.
exhaust pipes we use a range of things , wet and dry sand paper 1200 grit 1500 grit , wire wool "000" grade , heavy cut compound like fast cut plus

there is attention to detail and there is this! awesome work mate
thats a lot of work. Car looks great
one day I will get me one of these. love 930 turbos - but unfortunately many of them are in much much worse state than this one. lack of wheel arch liners gave a nice head start for the tin worm.

looks like you saved that one for a very lucky owner - cracking job as usual Kelly
hmmmmmm 930 turbo! Excellent work Kelly. The questions is, did the price of the work bring the cost of the car above buying one in already well looked after, good condition? As clearly alot of work went into turning it around!
thats a question you should ask the owner really , the fact he has booked 4 times with KDS for work like this and is booking another when he is back of his holiday , i would say he is happy and thats all that matters ,
I could say that tuning an engine and remapping it is a waste of time and money , but the customer who hs this done is a happy bunny and all that matters.
A properly restored car will always sell better than a modified car , i should know :thumb:

stunning there looks better then new now
Absolutely stunning!
Some hard work gone on there looks stunning mate :thumb:
Thanks Guys :thumb:

kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#13 ·
looks amazing, what a great thorough job!! :p

just out of interest, im detailing an audi a3 next week and the tailpipe is going a bit rusty and dirty from lack of cleaning, what would you recommend to use as ive got metal polish etc but dont feel thatll be up to the job...

cheers.

#16 ·
one day I will get me one of these. love 930 turbos - but unfortunately many of them are in much much worse state than this one. lack of wheel arch liners gave a nice head start for the tin worm.

looks like you saved that one for a very lucky owner - cracking job as usual Kelly

#110 ·
Firstly sorry for the long delay , i have a few very special important things going on at present that must be done, i am having to spread myself very thin on the ground.

Thanks

All I can say is wow!! What a superb result.

As always, excellent to read through the work and attention to detail carried out.

I have 3 questions to ask:

1: The underseal that was applied is that done by machine or is it applied by hand (aka sprayed or brushed on)

Brushed on

2: The bits that were respayed ie the plastic front and rear grill. Im just curious as to what method to use and what sort of products one can suggest to flat and respray with, as I have some bumper strips that are grey that I would like to change to black.

we use a selection of paints from bodyshop suppliers for plastics , many specalised products for the job

3: Lastly the bits around the brakes etc I noticed you used Bilt Hammer Deox Gel to remove excess corrosion and rust etc. What sort of paint would you recommend to use to repaint over it and is it best applied by hand or spayed.

Find smooth rite is great brushed on
Fantastic work Kelly.

Just about the only addition thing you could do is a respray, great post!
yep

A full strip and Respray is now happening on a a very special car now :thumb:

Awesome & stunning work on a great classic :thumb:
Thanks

F'ing amazing work. :thumb:
KDS are the detailing pioneers in the UK, FACT.
We try and got more to come in the future :thumb:

Epic, simples
Thanks , Pint soon mate :D

Epic work, the original and best shape Porshe got a well deserved pampering.
Thanks

OMG...........Absolutely stunning. Truly outstanding. The best ever post on Detailing World.

WOW
Thanks

From start to finish the attention to detail was second to none , finished car looks amazing and that is more than a refurd detail to me rather a rebuild to very high standard, excellent write up, thanks for sharing your fantastic work
I guess your right we are more refurb / restoration company than just detailers

WOW !!.

Kelly, lost for words - absolute stunning, reckon you have added some serious £££ to the value of that car.

Well done to you & the team - One very pleased owner I'm sure

:thumb:

Jay
Yes owner very happy , do you what i did not know that he had sold the car until a day after posting this thread the new owner rings me up to say he now owns the car , we got chating and said he bought the car after seeing how great condition it was in :thumb: and said you have got my other cars coming to you in the future :thumb:

the original owner has got a new toy thats due in soon :D

kelly

www.kdsdetailing.co.uk

#22 ·
All I can say is wow!! What a superb result.

As always, excellent to read through the work and attention to detail carried out.

I have 3 questions to ask:

1: The underseal that was applied is that done by machine or is it applied by hand (aka sprayed or brushed on)

2: The bits that were respayed ie the plastic front and rear grill. Im just curious as to what method to use and what sort of products one can suggest to flat and respray with, as I have some bumper strips that are grey that I would like to change to black.

3: Lastly the bits around the brakes etc I noticed you used Bilt Hammer Deox Gel to remove excess corrosion and rust etc. What sort of paint would you recommend to use to repaint over it and is it best applied by hand or spayed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.