Detailing World Forum banner

KDS Detailing BMW M3 limited edition Platinum Wet Sand Package.

41K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  GNshaving 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

So it's been a while since my last thread of a KDS Detailing customer car, my last thread actually being my own car a TVR Tuscan (which is now sold), and I do have a replacement car to restore very soon and will be documented too :thumb:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=321478

So here is the feature car as per title of this thread,

A fully wet sanded BMW M3 limited edition car.

The new customer to KDS rang and chose the Platinum Wet Sand package to resolve the dreaded poor paint finish on new BMW's,
this is not Just a BMW problem and have noticed the "trend" of many other car manufactures which have the similar issue.

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/price-menu/paint-correction-packages/wet-sand

I decided to post a HD video first instead of photos.
The reason behind this,

We have found and seen for ourselves recently that photos are easy to alter to show what you wish and what you don't want to show and not give the real results even more so when it comes to showing orange peel removal.
We found its very difficult to alter a "true" HD video :thumb:

Here at KDS we try our best to not use headline grabbing titles or ANY alteration of photos and videos to show our work,
I like the fact we been called on many occasions as "transparent" and hide nothing.

Here's the video

This car is now on our website:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/bmw/e92-m3-3

Along with a few others, finally lol :)

Bugatti:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/bugatti/veyron

Pagani:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/pagani/zondafroadster-1

Koenigsegg:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/koenigsegg/ccxr-edition

Lamborghini:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/lamborghini/aventador

Ferrari:

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing/ferrari/california

Sorry for lack of threads hopefully we will be able to update more often in the future now I have additional staff to deal with the IT data base of photos and videos.

More to come in the future and hope you enjoyed the video ;)

Regards Kelly

See less See more
1 5
#28 ·
Thanks

The paintwork is like glass now! A miracle turnaround imo ;)
Why thank you :thumb:

Great result, and some very arty filming :thumb:

I know what you mean about the trend towards more orange peel, I'm having to alter my painting techniques to suit as a glass finish on a freshly painted panel would stand out like a sore thumb against OEM paint!

And did I spot a blade being used to remove the sanding slurry? I'm sure some on here would shed tears over that but I find them perfect for that application.
Drying blade is perfectly safe for this usage, like many tools and equipment in all walks of life when used at the correct time and place are fine :D

Now that is how a M3 should come out of the showroom. Great work as always.
You would like to think so, we like just as they are thou :buffer:

Great video and top work as always.
Thanks

Superb work.
Thanks

As ever, awesome work. The colour of that Veyron and the tint in its paint is just beautiful! :argie::thumb:

Thanks for sharing.
Yep thats a nice colour.

full thread here if you missed it.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=211841

stunning work, how bad was that before though on such a pricey motor. liking the colour too
Thanks
Price does not come into play really your paying 99.5% for the car and .5% for paint , a more expensive car does not mean better paint in all cases, we had brand new RS5 Cab in recently with many factory defeats including sanding marks

Brilliant Kelly! Top quality effort! both the e92 and your e46 look immense.

Kind regards,

Ebbe
Thanks , both cars looked great together i must admit and such different colours too, even thou people think they are very similar

Kelly

#4 ·
Great result, and some very arty filming :thumb:

I know what you mean about the trend towards more orange peel, I'm having to alter my painting techniques to suit as a glass finish on a freshly painted panel would stand out like a sore thumb against OEM paint!

And did I spot a blade being used to remove the sanding slurry? I'm sure some on here would shed tears over that but I find them perfect for that application.

#36 ·
Thanks

Awesome work, BMW should really be re-funding the cost of that..... But then again "they're all like that sir" ...
Spot on :thumb:

AMAZING WORK!!.
Car looks unreal.
Thanks

Thanks

Superb work!
Thanks

Stunning work!
Thanks

Great work Kelly, your website is a treasure trove, I spent a couple of hours on there this afternoon:thumb:

Kev
Thank you , slowly getting the site to where i want it , lots more to come in the future too :thumb:

stunning work guys ;)
thanks

Lovely work mate :thumb:
:D

Wow, that's amazing.
Good work.
Thanks

#23 ·
Imagine if all new car came like that :argie: :argie:

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that certain BMW people actually use PTGs and if theres any paint warranty claims that are under a certain thickness due to sanding/polishing then they wont honour them.

I could have imagined it, but I'm almost certain.

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks Kev :thumb:

Detailing at its best.
True gent :thumb: see you next year at waxstock (maybe in the restored ferrari) :driver:

Imagine if all new car came like that :argie: :argie:

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that certain BMW people actually use PTGs and if theres any paint warranty claims that are under a certain thickness due to sanding/polishing then they wont honour them.

I could have imagined it, but I'm almost certain.
you are correct and good point , for now it will make it short (could be a couple of very good threads to come in the future)

1) i have fully wet sanded over 20 brand new BMW's most being exactly same car (M3's) same model E90's

the paint depth has ranged from 180 microns - 80 microns on factory OEM paint , the paint depth has ranged from 150 microns - 100 microns on same car same panel again OEM paintwork

2) i have had to fix / resolve / redo (what every you want to call it) approved BMW bodyshops paint work , one car travelled 5 times to and throw to the dealership and KDS (by the onwer) the car in question was 6 month old and near to right off , it had many new panels which were painted to factory spec.
The car came to me to sort out the usual paint shop issues , BUT the paint was 60 microns and less so i rejected the car , the dealer and bodyshop confirmed to the owner it was all around 160 microns.
My 4 different gauges showed 60 ish microns , of course BMW have more weight than KDS so the new customer to KDS believe BMW , i demo'ed on bare flat clean steel and alloy with calibration slips that my gauges are reading correct , and that the original paint work showed 120-130 mircons, this went on for weeks until it was proven that the Dealership/bodyshop gauge was reading 100 microns on bare flat steel and alloy pieces (should read zero). So the car had to be repainted again.

This leads me to ask "how could you notice 4-6 microns removed by wet sanding" remember we are talking about paint depth readings for warranty (not better looking finished) when one car to another can change as much as 100 microns and one single panel (a M3 Bonnet) can vary as much as 50 microns ?

and lastly would the dealer / bodyshop know how to use the gauges correctly or even whats good work or bad work going by these photos of their workmanship (photos from number 2 quote above)

Photos are a redo of a redo of a redo and then finally KDS get to sort the car out :thumb:

I really think i need to start to write trheads of some of the cars we have had to turnaorund like the photos above :thumb:

Of course we fixed the X5 :thumb:

All well and good owning a paint depth gauge but completely different thing is knowledge and 20 plus years of dealing with paint at its highest level :thumb:

The best race cars / hypercars only work best with natural very skilled drivers , a average driver is bound to crash and burn at some point in this case the dealership and bodyshop crashed and burned big time :D

Just beautiful what a top class finish
Thanks

That's stunning! Dread to think how much that detail cost the owner :p
Not that hard to work out the costs even more so that someone else wrote it on this thread "transparent and truthful" comes to mind :thumb:

Fantastic work from a top-notch company, I admire you guys, No.1 in the detailing community. :thumb:
Many thanks

The difference is amazing, I bet the owner was very happy seeing it after you dealt with it. Did you wet sand the entire car by hand or do you use a machine for some of it?
All by hand as its by far the safest way (for removing the least amount of clear coat) but it does take the longest amount of time , but perfection cant be rushed it all always take time :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.