Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 28-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #291
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,305 Times in 2,735 Posts
Superb and a real credit

Now enjoy it
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (28-06-2019)
Old 28-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #292
Philb1965
Orbital Oracle

Great effort, car and the paint looks fantastic. Drive it and enjoy!

Last edited by Philb1965; 28-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Philb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philb1965 For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (28-06-2019)
Old 28-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #293
Tuddie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Tuddie
Looks absolutely superb! Enjoy mate..
Tuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuddie For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (28-06-2019)
Old 18-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #294
skyegtb
Washmitt Meister

Thought I would add a little update. I've driven over 1000 miles in the last 18 days since the car went back on the road and enjoyed every one of them, and had great fun exploring some remote spots in the Highlands! I had a few niggles to sort out, the biggest being a leaking fuel injector which was causing bad starting, rough idle and smoke on deceleration, so it was replaced, and I also did a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the car. I replaced the standard exhaust system with a full 3" from downpipe back 'JT' system, set the boost pressure to 1 bar max and fitted an upgraded 'rising rate' fuel pressure regulator set at 3.3 bar. I had previously modified the ignition 'advance / retard' diaphragm so the car runs 23° with no boost and 10° when under full boost. The car is only run on Super Unleaded at these settings and i can adjust the timing with my strobe and a spanner quite quickly if required. So, the car is in my mind in a nice state of tune, not over the top, probably around the 200bhp mark so hopefully not going to over strain the gearbox etc. The 9000 clutch (240mm) is absolutely brilliant, not a hint of slippage and it has a nice light feel to it. I also fitted a short shifter which gives really solid and positive gear changes. The last thing to get done is a wheel alignment just to make sure everything is straight, I also intend to visit a tuning place in Inverness at some point for a dyno run to see what the power figures actually are, but not sure when I will get the time to do that.

I recorded some fuel economy figures roughly each time I filled the car up. I generally went 200 miles (1/2 a tank) between top-ups. The worst I saw was 28mpg which was over a period of very spirited driving with no attempt to be economical. On the others the average was 33mpg (mixed driving) and on the last one where I was deliberately being quite economical the car averaged 38mpg, but that also included a fair bit of short journeys / hilly terrain etc. Personally I'm quite impressed with these figures as I was kind of expecting to see an overall average of 25mpg, so to see 38 at best is quite something really.

Here's a few pics:

skyegtb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skyegtb For This Useful Post:
Ennoch (07-08-2019), Jack R (18-07-2019), transtek (18-07-2019), wrxmania (19-07-2019)
Old 19-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #295
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,085 Times in 685 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegtb View Post
Thought I would add a little update. I've driven over 1000 miles in the last 18 days since the car went back on the road and enjoyed every one of them, and had great fun exploring some remote spots in the Highlands! I had a few niggles to sort out, the biggest being a leaking fuel injector which was causing bad starting, rough idle and smoke on deceleration, so it was replaced, and I also did a bit of tweaking to get the most out of the car. I replaced the standard exhaust system with a full 3" from downpipe back 'JT' system, set the boost pressure to 1 bar max and fitted an upgraded 'rising rate' fuel pressure regulator set at 3.3 bar. I had previously modified the ignition 'advance / retard' diaphragm so the car runs 23° with no boost and 10° when under full boost. The car is only run on Super Unleaded at these settings and i can adjust the timing with my strobe and a spanner quite quickly if required. So, the car is in my mind in a nice state of tune, not over the top, probably around the 200bhp mark so hopefully not going to over strain the gearbox etc. The 9000 clutch (240mm) is absolutely brilliant, not a hint of slippage and it has a nice light feel to it. I also fitted a short shifter which gives really solid and positive gear changes. The last thing to get done is a wheel alignment just to make sure everything is straight, I also intend to visit a tuning place in Inverness at some point for a dyno run to see what the power figures actually are, but not sure when I will get the time to do that.

I recorded some fuel economy figures roughly each time I filled the car up. I generally went 200 miles (1/2 a tank) between top-ups. The worst I saw was 28mpg which was over a period of very spirited driving with no attempt to be economical. On the others the average was 33mpg (mixed driving) and on the last one where I was deliberately being quite economical the car averaged 38mpg, but that also included a fair bit of short journeys / hilly terrain etc. Personally I'm quite impressed with these figures as I was kind of expecting to see an overall average of 25mpg, so to see 38 at best is quite something really.

Here's a few pics:

Lovely car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (19-07-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #296
skyegtb
Washmitt Meister

Another little update. Made a couple of mods to the car. First one was to fit the front anti-roll bar. The reason I had omitted the ARB when doing this build is that I had read a lot of very positive reports from Saab forums of people who had removed the front ARB and reported much sharper and improved handling with better turn-in etc. Well, that was not my experience, all I found was excessive lean and some body roll when pushing the car hard round the twisties. This car has Kilen sport springs, Bilstien HD shocks, full Powerflex poly bushes all round and slightly negative front camber from standard so the handling should have been really impressive. I'm not sure where the forum people decided that removing the front ARB would be an improvement (on track maybe?), but now I have re-fitted mine I can definitely say that on the road there is substantial and noticeable improvements in grip, so lesson learned there!

Next thing that had been 'grinding my gears' (not literally ) was the excessive volume and drone (especially around 2000rpm) of the 3" full 'JT' exhaust system I fitted a few weeks back. I loved the noise of the system it had an excellent 'unequal headers / Scooby' sound and lots of popping and rumbles when decelerating etc, and on full chat sounded very NASCAR, but sadly it was killing my ears, so something had to be done. Looking at the exhaust there was no way I could add any extra silencers and replacing the standard single mid silencer in the system would have been a major headache so I thought I’d give a ‘DB Killer’ baffle insert a go. As you can see from the pic this is simply a baffle plate with a perforated silencer that is designed to insert in to a correspondingly sized tailpipe or backbox. I fitted it by removing my fancy tailpipe and welding it as far inside as possible. Nice easy job. I could have drilled holes and bolted it in place but glad I went for weld in the end as it will definitely be staying on the car. Anyway, the results were perfect. Idle noise is probably 50% of previous as is most of the way through the rev band, but at high revs or high boost all of the original sound is there, just at a lower volume. The drone around 1800rpm is still there, but it’s much more bearable than before. So, for the first time since fitting this exhaust I can now happily listen to the stereo (couldn’t before, it was drowned out!) and my ears no longer throb when exiting the vehicle. Finally, I would say that there is no noticeable difference in performance even though I was expecting there to be, so in my mind it’s a total success.

Here’s some pics. I also uploaded a video of the engine being revved after the baffle was in place, unfortunately I don’t have any video before the mod but it simply sounded the same but a lot louder!

https://youtu.be/5Xr-M5-Z7JQ

https://youtu.be/ThVULKJ48MI
skyegtb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skyegtb For This Useful Post:
Compo (07-08-2019), Ennoch (07-08-2019), Jack R (06-08-2019), slim_boy_fat (07-08-2019), transtek (06-08-2019), wrxmania (06-08-2019)