Detailing World Forum banner

What is the active chemical in a bleeding fallout remover?

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  steelghost 
#1 ·
Any idea what the chemical is that runs that purple colour when reacting with contamination?

Cheers

#8 ·
There can't be ammonia in there along with citric acid, they would react as one is an acid and the other an alkali.

Ammonium thioglycolate would go some way to explaining the pungent smell.

I have no doubt there is xylene or paraffin or other organic solvents in tar remover, the smell is distinctive and it explains why they turn milk in colour when contacted with water.

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
I wouldn't worry, in nearly 5.5 years he's posted 60-something times, with quite a bit of it being the snarky post-and-run :censored: we see in this thread.

FWIW to try to actually answer the question posed, this post is the best explanation I have been able to come up with about how these things work. I make no claim to be an expert but I did do a couple of years of chemistry at uni (albeit some years ago now!) and a wee bit of it did stick. I've also included the sources I used to look some of this up. I'm not claiming it's 100% correct though, and welcome any constructive attempts to update / clarify / correct it :D

#23 ·
It's this thread (and the autoglym cloth one) which has bothered me - I understand there are personalities involved, and they're not easy to get across on screen, but it's just not very nice to see.

The other common one is "it's a sealant" - completely off topic hit and run on a thread - any 5 word post on a thread without actually reading it should be banned.

The reason he's snarky (my opinion) is that he's frustrated with manufacturers basically lying about their products (bending the truth, using marketing terms as fact). Using "wax safe" or "pH balanced"; even the word polish, when there are no abrasives ("but it's a chemical polish I tell you!"). These are all marketing terms, designed for the punter - for the 99.9%.

Again my opinion; not trying to stir anything back up again.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jesus Christ. I only asked a simple question, for my own selfish reasons.

Firstly, Mr Gum. Really don't appreciate your smarmy, holier than though, I asked a simple question. Have the decency to answer without presumption and if you've something to offer/state/say, do it in a constructive, non abrasive manner.

So,the reason I asked...... I recently bought some more fallout from my Autosmart rep. Great guy and we ended up having a chat about stuff and talked about the difference between Fallout and Red7. I stated the only difference I could see what's that Red 7 ran purple or 'bled' when working, whereas Fallout doesn't. He stated that Red7 does a better job but is just about double the price of Fallout.

My interest was piqued in so much as what single chemical could make a difference to performance, run purple and double the price of a product.

And that was it. That was the reasoning behind my question. Sheer interest from a performance/price point of view. No, I don't want to make my own or add said chemical.to my own. If i were that bothered, I'd have gone for Red 7.

Mods, if you are reading, lock this please. I think everything to be said, has been said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.