Detailing World Forum banner

The mildest/safest polish for minor swirl correction

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Triggauk 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm buying a DAP for the first time next week. I'm looking to do some very minor paint correction ie very light swirl marks. I'm pretty sure I want to correct rather than fill, unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

I'm absolutely crapping myself in case I damage the paint and so I really want the mildest and safest compound/polish.

The car is a non metallic white Porsche.

Could anybody recommend me suitable polish and pads that would be safe in a DAP noob's hands?

Thanks very much

#2 ·
If you get a finishing pad and use a cleanser polish you can go at it for hours and make barely any difference to the thickness of the clear coat.

If you feel that uneasy then get a scrap panel to practice on.

Find an accomplished user of machine polishers and get some assistance.

You need technique. If you can't hold and use the machine properly then you will inflict damage whatever you use.

#4 ·
You could use something like CarPro Essense or the Glare system
These are semi perminamnt fillers and don't diminish the level of clear coat you have
(Altho Essense does have some micro abrasives in it)

If all your chasing is swirls then this could be a good solution for you

#6 ·
Hi
Yes, its just very light swirls, I'm not trying to correct anything more than that. And even then I'm not chasing 100% perfection, just a decent improvement.

So given my lack of experience would I be better off using a good filler instead? I have some poor boys white hole, would this be as good as the car pro?

Thank you.

#10 ·
The wife has a Citroen (soft paint I believe). First time out I went at it with a Orange Hex Logic and Menz 2200... was so focused on moving arms slowly, after 4 passes the panel was almost too hot to actually touch (imagine paint on the hottest of summer days) ... didn't appear to do any damage.

Probably removed more clear coat than I would have liked but it was a one time job so I won't be making it any worse now.

You can go way beyond where you think the line is.

#11 ·
A very mild combination would be Scholl S40 polish. As for the pad, Hex Logic White is a light cutting pad. However you'll probably be there all day! I'd look at Scholl S17 with Hex Logic Green pad for heavier cutting and S30 with Hex Logic White pad to refine if needed. Scholl use diminishing abrasives, meaning you need to work them long enough. Research their products.

#14 ·
I have two cars, a 2017 MB and a 2015 Porsche.

I decided to play safe and just use a filler. I got a DAP for my birthday and used Poor Boys blackhole on the MB with really good results.

I have Poor Boys diamond white and will use that on the Porsche in the next few months.

Cheers.

#19 ·
Grab some meguars 205 Finish polish and any polishing pad (Rupes yellow or shine mate polishing pad) and go to town on it. Unless your holding the DA at speed 6 over an edge for 10 minutes then you have zero chance of doing any damage. Just stick to the basic arm movements and speed 4-5 and you will be fine and more importantly very happy with the permanent results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.