Detailing World Forum banner

Third time lucky???

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RichieST 
#1 ·
Well here I am again with yet another car in the hunt for reliability if there is such a thing.

So some history.....
So the last car which is currently for sale as is as I just want it gone. A lesson learned but it shouldn't have happened after speaking to many people this should have been a solid car. After spending some money on it and clearing one lot of problems and then led into another problem. After some messing around and spent some more money I didn't have my girlfriend and her parents decided enough is enough and went about and we came across the one I know own.

Car before was a Honda jazz but as that was the exs car it had to go. Which I broke even on. The mondeo titanium Xsport I had was a wicked car except I had warranty issues which then lead to issues with a main dealer which I got banned from for causing too much of an issue. Got what I wanted it of them though. I broke even on that car too which was good.

So story time over it's time for the new edition. I say new I have had it nearly a month and put 1500 miles in it already.

So what car is it I hear you asking??? Well I've gone VAG. Never had a VW and this car came up and I had to have it.

It's a VW Golf Mk6 estate 2012 1.6tdi 105blue motion. 50900 miles.

Car has fully history with VW and has been well looked after. It had a knock which was sorted out and over all condition is excellent.

Got 500 knocked off it and final purchase price was 4500!! This was a genuine sale from a genuine person who didn't have the use for it anymore. As it was over 100 miles away from me I got one of the pre buy inspections carried out. I used a company called click mechanic. It cost me 118 pounds and well it's sure paid for itself in the money I got knocked off. He spend three hours there, plugged it in drove it and drive it while plugged in. Has it in the air covers off wheels off and lots more. Was very impressed and if I was to buy a car long distance I would definitely use that service again.

Anyways back to the car. It's the sportline edition so has a few extra bits like cruise, alloys and a few other bits.

So here is when I got it home.

Couple of weeks went passed and then went to wash it. Never had a black car but new I was going to be in for a shock.

Just as well I use two buckets!!!

I literally just washed it and nothing else while my son was in bed and it wasn't so bloody warm. Has no protection on it as I'm quite low on it but I can tell you washing had unearthed some scratches and loads of swirls and all sorts of other things black cars seem to show up.

Things that need to be done.

Two new tyre and rear discs and pads (reason for discount on purchase price)
Oil change. Hasn't long been done but it seems that these CAYC engines are a bit sensitive so regular oil changes will be done.

Car booked into VW as the car was updated with that emissions software. The car dpf regenerates pretty much every time I drive it and I had an egr fault code come up. I cleared it and didn't come back. Vw said they have seen dpf issues with this update and they will waiver any costs so the car won't cost a thing for me for them to look at it. Got a courtesy car too when it goes in which is nice. I get poor mpg too. I say poor I get 60mpg in a long motorway run where I should be getting more like 80 like some people had before all this came about. I have asked about roll back and they won't do it so in time it may go to a tuners to have it done or just mapped altogether. My dad had the same car but dsg and it went very well so I'll look into that.

Going to buy a vcds cable so I can do some coding to unlock hidden features. I did a similar thing on both of my fords. It's incredible what dealers don't turn on.

Alloys need refurb. They are diamond cut which is annoying as to do those for a set of four is 600!! But to be power coated it's 336 for a set of four 16". So may do that at some point when money alloys.

Missing a retractable parcel shelf so need one of those

And a detail. My girlfriend for my birthday bought me some gtechniq stuff and some exo so looks like I'll have to put that on the car when machined.

Other than that hopefully enjoy the reliability. So far so good except needing to go to vw.

Can't think of anything more for now. Oh car hit 52,000 miles :)

More to come

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I ran the hatchback from new in 2009, 53k miles and followed it with the same engined Audi A3 sportback.

1. You will never, ever, get 80mpg out of it on the motorway unless you are tucked up on the rear bumper of a truck at 56mph. Anyone who tells you otherwise is names Pinocchio. The best I got from either car was 74 and 76, on the same steady 80 mile a road journey at ca 50mph all the way other than lower speed limit zones.
At 70mph on the motorway you’ll see 53-56mpg
I averaged around 55mpg in both cars (80k miles), with normal driving.

2. Fingers crossed the high pressure fuel pump is good, mine failed after 10 months in the golf, warranty picked up the £2k bill thankfully

3. Things may have changed on the tuning front but back in 2010 no-one could crack the ecu software code. I eventually bought a tuning box , which did make the car better for a and B road overtaking, as I got so fed up of the lowly power output. Never had any issues with the box fitted.

4. Those alloys were renowned for corrosion, some failing after 12 months due to stone chips in the lacquer; two tone paint coat is the way to go on refurb.

5. I had doc regen about every 3 or 4 weeks, mpg dropped about 5mpg on my typical 26 mile commute when it was regenerating. I never had the burning rubber smell some owners complained of, but mine was doing 300+ ,miles a week with few short trips around town

Otherwise they are a pretty solid dependable motor.

#5 ·
I ran the hatchback from new in 2009, 53k miles and followed it with the same engined Audi A3 sportback.

1. You will never, ever, get 80mpg out of it on the motorway unless you are tucked up on the rear bumper of a truck at 56mph. Anyone who tells you otherwise is names Pinocchio. The best I got from either car was 74 and 76, on the same steady 80 mile a road journey at ca 50mph all the way other than lower speed limit zones.
At 70mph on the motorway you'll see 53-56mpg
I averaged around 55mpg in both cars (80k miles), with normal driving.

2. Fingers crossed the high pressure fuel pump is good, mine failed after 10 months in the golf, warranty picked up the £2k bill thankfully

3. Things may have changed on the tuning front but back in 2010 no-one could crack the ecu software code. I eventually bought a tuning box , which did make the car better for a and B road overtaking, as I got so fed up of the lowly power output. Never had any issues with the box fitted.

4. Those alloys were renowned for corrosion, some failing after 12 months due to stone chips in the lacquer; two tone paint coat is the way to go on refurb.

5. I had doc regen about every 3 or 4 weeks, mpg dropped about 5mpg on my typical 26 mile commute when it was regenerating. I never had the burning rubber smell some owners complained of, but mine was doing 300+ ,miles a week with few short trips around town

Otherwise they are a pretty solid dependable motor.
Well coming back from Birmingham which was 120miles I averaged at 70mph 75mpg. But now I'm doing my other motorways routes which I crack 300miles a week I average around 60 but still poor and I can feel it's poor by how the car runs sometimes. Hesitates a little when over taking.

I've heard stories about those fuel pumps. What's the crack with those and how to look after them x the previous owner had the fuel filter replaced every service so I may keep doing that.

My bluefin can crack them now and offer a service and remap with handset for a total of 379 but I'll wait until I've had the car a few months first.

That's diamond cut for you. I don't like the idea of it. So they will get powered when I get a chance.

I'm getting a vcds cable to I can force the dpf to regen if need be but I think it's a lot to do with the software so I'm going milk this one for sure and gets all I can out of them

Ryan

#6 ·
I had 17” wheels and sports suspension on mine so maybe the extra drag of the wider tyres hit my mpg, I really had to drive like a granny on a steady uninterrupted journey to get over 70mpg. I was about 8% better on winter tyres because they were 195/65/15s.

The mpg on the dash over reads by up to 10% btw, so brim to brim is the only way to work out the mpg

#8 ·
Well the car went in for the day and had a brand new polo which was rubbish to drive around in. They said all the software is all upto date and they rebalanced the injectors. One good thing is that the idle judder has gone but nothing else so I’ll call them again. I didn’t pay a penny and they were very good about it.

Coming up to 53000 miles now. I haven’t had a chance to give it a really good clean. Being black it’s covered in scratches. I have gtechniq c1 left over from the mondeo and it hasn’t gone bad. Also got some exo for my birthday so when the weather starts to cool off a little I will be machining and getting this car looking good.

Still need two rear tyres but I’m going on holiday soon so it can wait.

Got a quote for powder coating wheels. 336 for standard colours or if I get them diamond cut (refaced) it will cost over 500!

I hate the look of diamond cut so I think powder is the way to go

Ryan

#10 ·
To be fair from what I read on your Mondeo thread, I'm not surprised they banned you from the dealership, you sound like a right royal pain in the **** :rolleyes:

As for the golf, I would be shot of the new VW software as soon as you can. General concensus the new maps seem to have severely limited power and made the car feel really flat. The DPF should not be trying to regen every time you drive it, sure there isn't another fault somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.