Detailing World Forum banner

After the longest 12 weeks of my life.....

64K views 148 replies 55 participants last post by  Ben_W 
#1 ·
I may have mentioned it once or twice that I was awaiting delivery of a Mk7.5 Golf GTD.

After the longest 12 weeks of my life (made even longer by the fact I drove the most god awful beige Renault Captur for 9 of those weeks which felt like 90 weeks), at 9:40 this morning, I got called to reception. It was finally here.

A very brief review, as I sent to Cookies earlier, is this:

The drive home was amazing. That Golf really is a complete car. I might be biased having gotten out of the Renault into the Golf but I hit the gym with my cousin tonight and gave him a lift home after.....even he was blown away by it.

It's looks the part. The paint accentuates that. Its fast. Not particularly quick off the mark (even less so if the stop start is on) but the way it picks up its heels and just hauls ass through the mid range is incredible. It gets from 30 to 100 in what feels like a very short space of time (I'll time it one day). Show it a corner and it ravishes it. But then put it in eco mode, which the active cruise in at 70 and it will do 55-60mpg and is a very, very comfortable place to be. The active cruise is amazing when coupled with the DSG box. I set it at 75 and it's nuts. Cruises, takes you all the way down to a standstill and back to 75 if needed and all you need do is steer. It's a bit unnerving but works so well. That's going to be a massive bonus.

And then it's things like the switch gear. It's all solid and particularly well damped. The plastics feel premium. The whole media centre is touch screen and knows when your hand is approaching and add extra menu options...it connects two phones at once (unbelievably handy when you've a work phone and a personal phone). The interior is all led with light strips built into the metal work on the door cards and on the kick strips....it just oozes quality and the fact the designers really took their time with it.

I've only one gripe so far and that's easily fixed. Sport mode leans a little too heavily on the acoustic engineering. It's just a tad too intrusive. However, you can fix that by selecting individual mode, programming all the performance options but turn the engine sound down, I think.

The colour really, really makes this car. I know it's going to be a Marmite option but you need to see one in the flesh, in differing lights. You'll be amazed it's the same car. I absolutely love it and everyone who saw it at work today commented on just how good it looks.

Spec is std GTD Golf. Options I added were keyless entry, heated front screen and extra tints on the rear windows. It's got pretty much everything else I need as std.

Best get busy with a long term project thread!

See less See more
#16 ·
Thanks guys!

Glad there is so much love for the colour. It is amazing. It looked grey this morning when I got to work but just been outside and it looks a bit blue!

I'm aiming on getting it detailed this weekend. Carbon Collective Platinum for the wheels, Wowos Crystal sealant for the body, most probably with a layer of OCD Nebula lobbed over the top. Wowos Fabric sealant for the seats to keep any marks off.

May well need a proper polish first, black pad and S40 I'll start with as I can see a little marring/swirling. That's most likely from.the delivery driver (who was very good and proud actually) just wiping it clean with a microfibre when it got here. I stopped him doing that pretty quickly....interior needs a bit of a clean, just the odd mark in places.

#41 ·
I have a 15 year old Fiesta 1.4TDCi 165000 miles and the engine is just bedded in. I'm not sure the electricity powered cars are capable of doing that, especially if the battery life of mobile phones is anything to go by.

Nice motor, mate. I particularly love those seats: reminds me of the Mk1 interior:thumb:

#21 ·
Nice car, my mate has a MK7 GTD and it is almost the complete package. I drove it for a couple of hours and the only thing i didn't like was the steering. Even in sport mode when it adds weight its just a bit pants for feel. The diff is pretty good and like you say the mid range and cruise-ability are very good with ACC.

#25 ·
Looks cracking!! i really love the new interior on the mk7.5:argie:

I've got a mk7 GTD estate, in ONYX white.... the pearl effect is amazing!

mine is an ex managers car so its fully spec'd up, inc a set of the 19" wheels which you cant add from factory.... ive just added a maxton designs front splitter for the GTI and a rear spoiler extention for the R, as its the same.

After 8000 miles im averaging 51.2 mpg...... and it isnt driven all that gently

i didnt really believe the hype surrounding the golf until i got one.... :lol:

#29 ·
So,

After hitting the gym hard today, then running some wood to the joiners, I gave the Golf its first clean. I've put 650 miles on it this week up and down motorways so was a bit mucky. The first thing I noticed is that it does need a proper decontamination. Running my hand over the bonnet, passenger side wing & passenger front door and it's noisy and feel rough. There is orange staining all over the car in places. Faint, but it's there. However, I didn't have the time today and won't for a bit yet so it was all about just getting some protection on as although I know it's been polished probably by the dealers (as I've found bits of polish left), the water behaviour is poor so I washed it and got busy with the Orchard Autocare goodies I'd been sent. The speed sealant is so easy to use, spray on, spread with one MF, wipe off straight away with another. Once done, I went over it with perfection but the dew was starting to form so didn't try too hard.

In short, it looks great. Needs a decon, polish and then resealing but it's got protection on for now, so I'm happy. The Carbon Collective Platinum wheels arrives Monday so next weekend I'll have the wheels off, clean them and get it applied properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.