Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > Health & Lifestyle Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health & Lifestyle Zone Suited and Booted ,Grooming, Personal Care, Health, Shaving , Aftershaves , Clothes , Watches and more

Old 14-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Tykebike
Washmitt Meister

You're getting upgradeitis. You are realising the limitations of a cheap bike and can improve things slightly but putting more money into it will never make it a better bike because the main component, the frame and to a lesser extent the wheels will still let it down.
I would say sell it while its in good condition and get a much better second hand bike so that you can reap the rewards of better design and construction. But then again that's just my opinion!
Tykebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
bluechimp
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by millns84 View Post
So I've been out a few times on the bike now and realised how awful it is set up as standard. Brakes needed a lot of adjustment but luckily the gears only needed a slight tweak.

Riding position is very far forward, so much so that it's been putting a lot of pressure on my wrists and shoulders. To address this I've bought a shorter stem and a 720mm riser bar.

The tyres are useless too. So spongy that it's like riding through treacle. Went off road today and all they did was cling on to the mud, getting completely filled with it. I've ordered some Schwalbe Big Bens which will suit my kind of riding much better I think.

Looking to the future, maybe upgraded brakes? They've worn in OK but seem to take a lot of pressure to stop compared to even V brakes. I didn't expect them to compare to the old Hope hydraulics I had but they're not great.

Also considering better forks at some point but I'm all over the place with choices as to coil vs Air, all the brands, types, sizes, travel etc etc!
This is where you realise you should have paid a few quid more for a better bike. Even something as basic as the Voodoo range.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
kingswood
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Dont waste anymore money upgrading......refer you back to your opening post - just a stop gap bike into you see how far the boy takes biking.

If he stays with it all summer and then into next year buy a end of year bike in the sales. Your local bike shop will do you 10% off.

Or buy a second hand one off eBay or gumtree, so many people buy new - on bike to work schemes- and don’t use them. I bought a trek 29er in 2011 and it’s still goin strong now. Was a 2011 model and got it for £600, £1250 new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
millns84

Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykebike View Post
You're getting upgradeitis. You are realising the limitations of a cheap bike and can improve things slightly but putting more money into it will never make it a better bike because the main component, the frame and to a lesser extent the wheels will still let it down.
I would say sell it while its in good condition and get a much better second hand bike so that you can reap the rewards of better design and construction. But then again that's just my opinion!
I'm not considering getting rid and replacing, just some basic upgrades.

The reason I'm looking at forks is for more travel as I've bottomed out the standard forks which seem very softly sprung. Nothing too adventurous but maybe some Suntour XCR or Rockshox 30 Silver.

Same with brakes, just something a bit better but not breaking the bank... Say Clarks M3 with 180mm rotor up front.

All being said, I'm four stone heavier than when I was really into my bikes... Maybe that's given me unrealistic expectations of more basic gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechimp View Post
This is where you realise you should have paid a few quid more for a better bike. Even something as basic as the Voodoo range.
Not really, gross cost I'm expecting to still be less than Voodoo and I like tinkering with things in any event. I won't count the tyres in that as I'd probably have gotten something more suited to roads and light off roading regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
Dont waste anymore money upgrading......refer you back to your opening post - just a stop gap bike into you see how far the boy takes biking.

If he stays with it all summer and then into next year buy a end of year bike in the sales. Your local bike shop will do you 10% off.

Or buy a second hand one off eBay or gumtree, so many people buy new - on bike to work schemes- and don’t use them. I bought a trek 29er in 2011 and it’s still goin strong now. Was a 2011 model and got it for £600, £1250 new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd certainly consider that if I was really serious about it but I'm not. At the moment I want comfort while I keep up with a four year old on an Apollo Fire Chief
millns84 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millns84 For This Useful Post:
kingswood (15-07-2019)
Old 17-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
millns84

Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,072 Posts
So I've added a few bits to the bike now - 720mm carbon fibre riser bar with 70mm stem. It's made a world of difference and actually feels how a mountain bike should (straight bar and 90mm stem felt really far forward like a road bike).

I've got some aluminium pedals, lightweight seat post and hybrid calipers (wire pulled hydraulics) on order. Still waiting for the Schwalbe Big Ben tyres to be delivered too.

Also looking for forks in the next few weeks. The amount of choice is ridiculous, but looking at the more basic types I think I've pretty much decided on Suntour Xcr 32.

Once the forks and new calipers are fitted I'll decide whether I want to go for a larger disc up front. The mechanical brakes have actually felt better the last couple of days but I'm hoping the hybrid calipers will be even better.
millns84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Stoner

I bought my last bike new and wish I hadn't. Nothing wrong with the bike but I could have got a much higher spec for less money buying on eBay or Gumtree.

I have now learned my lesson and bought my missus and 3 kids bikes from Gumtree and managed to get 4 for less than £300 and all are in great condition. Halfrauds would have set me back way over £600 for the same kit.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoner For This Useful Post:
millns84 (18-07-2019)