Detailing World Forum banner

Orchard Autocare: Mercedes ML320 Butchered by a detailer and a chance to win a prize

46K views 114 replies 97 participants last post by  ibiza55 
#1 ·
For a chance to win a prize, place a comment below and we will pick someone at random to win a 500ml bottle of Wheel Cleanse.

Hello all and welcome to another write up from Orchard Autocare. This time we have a molested Mercedes ML320 that has just been detailed by one of the "top detailer's in Ireland" that are popping up all over the place. yes you read right this has JUST BEEN DETAILED!!! I'm not talking about the after shots at this point I am talking about the before. The owner went to a guy recommended to him and after a healthy dose of fast cut plus and then the "detailer's go to product over here" Black hole it looked pretty ok until he says the sunlight got onto it then he washed it the following week and this is what he was faced with. This is becoming a regular trend with us "fixing" approx 1-2 cars per month as an average. So buyer beware yes the £70 detail sounds great but this is what you will get for your £70. worst thing is they are getting wise and he paid considerably more and this was 4 days work!!! Now that takes skills!

Anyhow she has reached the home of pretty cars (OCD-hq) and its time to get to business. Firstly a careful reading of all surfaces to assess paint depths also all edges were gauges and thankfully this time no strike through or low edges were found. When fixing jobs it is important to take extra care to assess ALL edges and gauge them they will read higher but it should be uniform as a low spot will strike through even when finishing. Any low spots mask off and leave well alone!

Firstly onto the wash session thankfully this part was ok with little work needed done and only minor tar spotting and no real Iron fallout either so happy days time to crack on!!!

Now onto correction. Firstly, we used the Meguiar's Microfiber correction system to level the surfaces and give an even correction once this removed about 80-90% of defects we then followed behind with the good old rotary and a combination of Meguiar's 105 and 205 to address the deeper marks in total only a handful of marks were deemed too deep to remove so were hidden as best as possible. Some needed localised wet sanding and then flattened using the rotary.

Once all of the ML was corrected, it was a very long and gentle refining using Megs 205 and a blue 3M waffle pad to really bring out the sparkle of the Obsidian Black Once this was completed we lavished Orchard Autocare Luminos Paint Cleanser Applied via DA. this removes all polishing and filler oils from the surface, and holograms will also be totally removed and it leaves a squeaky clean surface to allow the LSP to fully bond to the surface, No IPA needed so no risk of inflicting swipe marks either!

Once the ML was ready, we applied several coats of Orchard Autocare Speed Seal then topped with Orchard Autocare Perfection to all surfaces including plastics and glass. and wheels. Tyres were dressed with Orchard Autocare Glitz tyre dressing and the interior was hoovered and the leather conditioned!

Now for the afters!!

Again many thanks for taking time to read my write up. As usual all C&C are very welcome.

Rollo

See less See more
#57 ·
Fantastic work, can't believe the gloss you got there.

I'd love to have the spare cash at the moment to get an enhancement detail from you on my Alfa but there are too many other niggly things with the paintwork that's needed before correction such as door edges chipped, road rash on the front bumper and edge of the rear wheel wells and full reburb of the alloys. Once I've those sorted I'll maybe see about getting booked in. Maybe you can do all this anyway in which case I'd be interested in an estimate. :thumb:

#69 ·
Cheers.. I know but like everything you will get people pumping out substandard work.

That is absolutely amazing! The reflections in some of the pictures look like chrome.

Shocking work from previous 'Detailer' if you can even call him that.

You have done an outstanding Detail on that vehicle and it is beautiful!
Many thanks. for your kind comments check us out on

www.facebook.com/ocdni for more updates and pictures.

Oh, what the f***?
Thank god there are great people like yourselves.
Absolutely brilliant.
And there are more every week starting. thanks for your kind comments. :thumb:

#77 ·
lol now your talking.

Very magnanimous comments there Ronnie, and I agree, credit where credit is due but at teh same time that guy really needs to get a 1-2-1 course with you my friend!

Now about the car - that is the very reason why I love black cars. I'll never be able to achieve that myself on my Exeo, but nonetheless I still appreciate it when someone who knows their trade does! Absolutely astounding - I've said it before but the reflection shots you get with black paint are simply amazing.

Cooks
cheers not interested in being scene too old for politics that's all. Many thanks for the nice comment.

OMG! Amazing reflections. Nice work mate :thumb:
many thanks...

Wow what a difference. Love the reflections
Cheers :thumb:

Awesome work. You can't beat black once it's been detailed properly.
Agreed love black when its clean!

Fantastic job. Love your snowfoam and will be having a go at some of your other products
Many thanks.. Cotton Candy is pretty cool and we have made it better as well.. Will get you hooked up with stuff PM me and I will get u a discount sorted.

Amazing finish. Looks like a mirror. Superb Ronnie!
Many thanks Brian..:thumb:

#78 ·
Amazing work there mate. We get a lot of "TOP" Detailers around my way as well. There is a guy at the moment offering a full "BESPOKE" Detail as he calls it for £50. I had a customer ring me asking if I would go and have a look at his so called Bespoke Detail. It was horrendous. The guy used a Halfords 12v Car polisher (Plugged in the Customers Cigarette Lighter) and a tub of polish, Blobbed the polish on the panel and buffed it, Wiped it off and hey presto, Full Bespoke Detail in under an hour lol.

#81 ·
It is a growing trend but what can you do, thats why we work prodomently on word of mouth.

Cotton Candy is my favourite snow foam. It was tight with R-1NE but CC just tips it :thumb:
Many thanks Venom for teh support, much appreciated!

Some people just don't realise just what they get for that £70 detail, its never up to the standard I would personally be happy with and wouldn't expect anyone else to be happy with it either.

I just don't understand how some can charge that amount for what is a normal wash if one of us mere mortals was doing the job and to make it last for 4 days thats properly taking the pee to say the least.

Take it to someone who knows what there doing and as you can see the results are awesome

Great turnaround ML looks awesome
Perple look at some of what teh top guys charge and think its easy money, I know we at OCD-ni have tried to compete doing what I call trade detailing as in quick in and out jobs but from 2014 we will be stopping these focusing only on achieving the best possible finish rather than going for every job out there.

#80 ·
Some people just don't realise just what they get for that £70 detail, its never up to the standard I would personally be happy with and wouldn't expect anyone else to be happy with it either.

I just don't understand how some can charge that amount for what is a normal wash if one of us mere mortals was doing the job and to make it last for 4 days thats properly taking the pee to say the least.

Take it to someone who knows what there doing and as you can see the results are awesome

Great turnaround ML looks awesome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.